GDT: UFA frenzy - Noon today (7/1) - its finally here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I know that Botts would know if he can re-sign him and go along based on that decision. But you must surely know better than our GM.

Lol...

"I know we can sign him to the same AAV, because I know Botts would know if we can sign him to the same AAV"

Sabre Dance?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Lol...

"I know we can sign him to the same AAV, because I know Botts would know if we can sign him to the same AAV"

Sabre Dance?
I said that we can sign him on the same AAV without affecting the cap. This is a true statement. If his ask is higher we have to revisit the cap impact. Don't be a dick.

Even if we have to pay him 6.5 or something like that, there are options to accommodate this like a buy-out of someone or a bridge contract for Sam.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I said that we can sign him on the same AAV without affecting the cap. This is a true statement. If his ask is higher we have to revisit the cap impact. Don't be a dick.

Even if we have to pay him 6.5 or something like that, there are options to accommodate this like a buy-out of someone or a bridge contract for Sam.

Resigning Kane should not be am option.

IMO.

I'm happy to see how this year goes then see if we can get a decent d prospect or late 1st at the tdl.

Of course if someone offers this before the tdl... I'm listening.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

All contracts affect the cap, and given that we don't know what types of deals Girgs, Larsson and Beaulieu will be getting shortly. Let alone what we'll give Eichel and Reinhart... makes your statement premature at best, and ignorant at worst.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Resigning Kane should not be am option.

IMO.

I'm happy to see how this year goes the see if we can get a decent deal prospect or late 1st at the tdl.

Of course if someone offers this before the tdl... I'm listening.

I want to see him under new management and new coach. Botts probably feels the same. I think we get better return on him at the deadline with retention than we do now...Also if we wait until TDL Botts can see exactly what he has in him and talk extension based on what he thinks he's worth and he can know if he can extend him or not. I'm in no rush to trade him unless something really good comes back.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Don't the Sabres usually call a presser at the end of the day on 7/1 when they're just about done in FA? Wonder if Botterill is still working on some deals today.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Kane can resign for his current cap hit, IMO. He's arguably worth less.

But he is an effective powerforward if he's deployed correctly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I want to see him under new management and new coach. Botts probably feels the same. I think we get better return on him at the deadline with retention than we do now...Also if we wait until TDL Botts can see exactly what he has in him and talk extension based on what he thinks he's worth and he can know if he can extend him or not. I'm in no rush to trade him unless something really good comes back.

Yea, teams will totally pay more for 20 games than for 80 game:rolleyes:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Also...when you get to the deadline you are selling for futures. Right now you can make a hockey trade

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
All contracts affect the cap, and given that we don't know what types of deals Girgs, Larsson and Beaulieu will be getting shortly. Let alone what we'll give Eichel and Reinhart... makes your statement premature at best, and ignorant at worst.

We have enough space right now unless Jack gets 10+ and Sam gets 6+ on his current AAV. We have a fairly good idea what the 3 players you listed will get - something in the region of 5.5 - 7 mil. Lehner is on something like 3.5. Pencil in Jack+Sam at say 15. That's a around of 25 mil. Current cap space is about 17.5 I think. So we have to clear 7.5 to accommodate Kane on current contract. Gorges is on 4. The rest can be got from buyout on someone like Moulson and also replacing Chad by Ullmark. Now if Kane asks for 6.5-7 it gets tricky. But the cap may rise by 2 mil and then it's not so tricky.

That's why it's important we don't overpay the current crop of RFAs. And I think we will need a bridge on Sam if we are to accommodate Kane....

Bottom line we will know far better where we stand at the TDL next year. If we can't see a fit retain salary and trade him for likely a first unless he gets in trouble or is injured.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If you retain you can cause the cap hit at TDL would be quite low and that is generally important for contenders. It's not like it's never happened...

They can retain now too you know.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

I wouldn't bet against it, just because of the salary cap. Teams that can't fit him now sure could at the deadline, and I'd have to imagine he returns at least a first if he's scoring at last year's pace.

Right now, I don't know what his market value is, because I bet most teams in the hunt have to offer some money back.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

That's a bit reductive, especially in a salary cap world. There are way too many variables in play to definitively say that Kane returns less at the deadline that now (that said, there are also too many variables to say he necessarily returns more).

There may be teams that are too close to the cap to take on his salary for a full season, or may need to send salary back, that are able to take him on at the deadline. There may be teams that are interested in Kane but are too uncertain of where they stand now that might be more willing to give up assets at the deadline when they've gotten to see their team in action (and are sure that their first, for example, won't be a lottery pick)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Again...at the deadline you are only getting futures. We are better off with an NHL ready trade IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad