Confirmed with Link: UFA D-man Carlo Colaiacovo signed (reported at $625k, 1-year/2-way deal)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My question is..was Cola signed to be the traveling healthy scratch (like Schultz was), leaving Manning or Ghost as the #6, or do they really want this guy on the ice..where he will undoubtedly die the first time he gets checked.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Grossman-Streit
MDZ-Schultz
Colaiacovo-Schenn

So I assume this'll be the pairs for tomorrow, but I wonder what happens when Coburn and MacDonald come back if Colaiacovo is playing well and Schultz continues to play as well as he has been. In an ideal world where good things actually happen, Grossmann would be benched, but since there's a better chance of me winning the Hart Trophy I guess that means Schultz and Colaiacovo get the boot no matter how well they're playing? (Assuming Colaiacovo doesn't get hurt obviously)

Pretty much. Every shot Grossmann unintentionally blocks reminds Berube that he is the best stay-at-home defensemen in the league despite never hitting anyone during play and never making a pass out of the zone that landed on his teammates stick.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
My question is..was Cola signed to be the traveling healthy scratch (like Schultz was), leaving Manning or Ghost as the #6, or do they really want this guy on the ice..where he will undoubtedly die the first time he gets checked.

likely that is the case when they start getting players back. when Macdonald and Coburn get back I do wonder what they do. Not sure if I am crazy about keeping 8 defenseman on the pro roster with the cap situation being what it is. But I guess given what has gone already injury wise I think they keep 8.
Schultz and Cola would both have to clear waivers to get sent down.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
I am not a big fan of these type of moves. I see minimal reward in bringing a guy like Colaiacovo in here.

In a season like this where the defense is clearly going through a transition period it is the perfect time to give guys like Manning and other AHL guys a look to see what they are really about. Who knows you might find the answer to your depth problems in a guy like Manning who can give you the 15 mins you need a game and be capable enough to get you thru the season. Then who knows, maybe you can flip him for additional assets if he is not part of your long term plan.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am not a big fan of these type of moves. I see minimal reward in bringing a guy like Colaiacovo in here.

In a season like this where the defense is clearly going through a transition period it is the perfect time to give guys like Manning and other AHL guys a look to see what they are really about. Who knows you might find the answer to your depth problems in a guy like Manning who can give you the 15 mins you need a game and be capable enough to get you thru the season. Then who knows, maybe you can flip him for additional assets if he is not part of your long term plan.

Hextall wants the kids to develop in the AHL. When everyone is healthy Carlo and Schultz will be sitting in the pressbox. better them then one of the kids as the 7 and 8.
Stay the course and let the kids develop in the AHL where they can get the better minutes. Manning sucks anyway. he is pretty far down on the depth chart. only guy is likely ahead of is the Danish turd.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The reward is that you don't have Ghost or Manning as a 7th guy who doesn't play.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The reward is that you don't have Ghost or Manning as a 7th guy who doesn't play.

This is true but it probably ends the chance of any of the prospects to be called up later in the season. This team has no chance of winning the cup so watching the prospects at the end of the year was one of things to look forward too.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Well, I don't see Manning as an NHL player anyway, so no need to keep him in the pressbox as #7.

Always liked Colaiacovo when he's on his game. He gives them an AMac light while he's hurt.

Given how good AMac did with Schenn last year, I'd like to see MDZ get a shot with Coburn upon his return. Both can log big minutes.

MDZ-Coburn
Streit-Grossmann
Macdonald-Schenn

Schultz-Colaiacovo

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This also gives Hextall the option of listening to trade offers once Coburn and McDonald return, if MDZ keeps improving and with Cola on board, trading Streit is a possibility (two years left on his contract makes him a guy to jettison to make room for Ghost next year), he'd listen to offers for Grossman. With 8 veteran defensemen, he doesn't have to bring up a kid right away if he's not ready.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
On top of this being a smart move for the Flyers, it's also good for the Phantoms because they get Ghost and Manning back, which greatly increases their chances of success this year. In the games he missed you could tell the Phantoms were missing an element that only Ghost can bring to that defense. They just seemed less dynamic and quick as a whole. I think in the future that's something that Ghost will also bring to the Flyers. His skill set can boost a team to a new level when he's comfortable in his position, which he is on the Phantoms but isn't quite ready for with the Flyers.

This also gives Hextall the option of listening to trade offers once Coburn and McDonald return, if MDZ keeps improving and with Cola on board, trading Streit is a possibility (two years left on his contract makes him a guy to jettison to make room for Ghost next year), he'd listen to offers for Grossman. With 8 veteran defensemen, he doesn't have to bring up a kid right away if he's not ready.

No reason to get rid of Streit at all... he's going to be important to this team when they need a vet to help the prospects acclimate themselves to the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's getting long in the tooth, he turns 37 this season, and that's old, two more years is asking a lot from him, and is a defensive liability, other than the PP, he's really not a good defenseman anymore. Streit is starting to slow down and he's not very physical to start with. With a $5.25M cap hit, he's a luxury after this season.

When Ghost is ready, he'll be one of the defensemen on the power play, down the road, Morin or Sanheim will be the other.

If you can get rid of Streit, Grossman, Vinnie and Umberger, you'll free up $17.8M and have a lot younger roster.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's getting long in the tooth, he turns 37 this season, and that's old, two more years is asking a lot from him, and is a defensive liability, other than the PP, he's really not a good defenseman anymore. Streit is starting to slow down and he's not very physical to start with. With a $5.25M cap hit, he's a luxury after this season.

When Ghost is ready, he'll be one of the defensemen on the power play, down the road, Morin or Sanheim will be the other.

If you can get rid of Streit, Grossman, Vinnie and Umberger, you'll free up $17.8M and have a lot younger roster.

Nah, Streits fine, he stays.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

How has Streit been a liability? His play in all three zones has been admirable. He's no shut down guy, but he's more than responsible enough, and he's a terrific pro. He's been well worth his contract, thus far. Streit is staying for the foreseeable future.

I agree that the addition of Colaiacovo (and the surprising play of Schultz) will force Hextall to deal a defender in a couple months, and that's a very good thing. Bur as far as I can tell, the only candidates for trade are Grossmann and LSchenn. Maybe MacDonald, too.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How has Streit been a liability? His play in all three zones has been admirable. He's no shut down guy, but he's more than responsible enough, and he's a terrific pro. He's been well worth his contract, thus far. Streit is staying for the foreseeable future.

I agree that the addition of Colaiacovo (and the surprising play of Schultz) will force Hextall to deal a defender in a couple months, and that's a very good thing. Bur as far as I can tell, the only candidates for trade are Grossmann and LSchenn. Maybe MacDonald, too.

Agree on all points, but I doubt he'd try to move MacDonald. Grossmann, hopefully. LSchenn, maybe.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I cant say Im THAT surprised Schultz has played well. He was a solid dman for Minnesota for a long time. Can't really go by what he did in Edmonton, because, well it's Edmonton.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

In the bad-case scenario of the Flyers being out of the playoff picture come the TDL, they have several serviceable Dmen on short and longer-term contracts that may entice teams pushing for the post-season or competing for a spot. This is a good position to be in.

If they are fighting for a spot, they have defensive depth and multiple veteran and rookie options. This is also a good position to be in.

When they get to next season, these short-term fixes will be off the books and multiple rookies should be ready to realistically compete for roster spots. This is a very good position to be in, and would be made even better by the trade of one of Grossmann or L Schenn.

RJ8812*

they would be stupid to trade Streit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you bring up Ghost next year, he's not going to replace Grossman, he's going to be paired with a stay home physical defenseman.

You might replace Grossman with Hagg. But which mobile defenseman do you move to make room for Ghost? McDonald (who's probably untradeable for another couple years, until he's on a 3 year deal), MDZ (who's cheap), or Streit?

I'm not sure what role Alt would play if he comes up next year.
If Sanheim makes the team, then another mobile veteran has to go.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Completely wrong, in every way. Serious question: do you get to watch the games?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you bring up Ghost next year, he's not going to replace Grossman, he's going to be paired with a stay home physical defenseman.

You might replace Grossman with Hagg. But which mobile defenseman do you move to make room for Ghost? McDonald (who's probably untradeable for another couple years, until he's on a 3 year deal), MDZ (who's cheap), or Streit?

I'm not sure what role Alt would play if he comes up next year.
If Sanheim makes the team, then another mobile veteran has to go.

MacDonald and Streit could/should play together, so then there's room for two other puck mover types on the roster, MDZ + Ghost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad