UEFA's team of the year 2015

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Kompany wasn't on the PL team of last season and he's missed time this season. So no, he shouldn't be on there. Boateng is definitely better for one.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
Those who watch Thiago Silva and Boateng regularly don't know what you're talking about.

French Ligue 1 is a joke. There is only one team there who competes against joke teams. Yes, it's players are beasts on paper. Good point though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
French Ligue 1 is a joke. There is only one team there who competes against joke teams. Yes, it's players are beasts on paper. Good point though.

lol come on like Thiago Silva hasn't shown how great he is in the CL, in Serie A, or with Brazil.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I only really have a problem with the CBs, which should be Boateng and Silva. I would take Busquets or Verratti over Iniesta too, but I won't lose sleep over it.

Alexis over James is hilarious, as is suggesting that Kompany be there. I'm a huge Alexis fan, but no way should he be there. And as others have said, Alexis would be competing with Neymar for a spot based on positioning, not James. If anyone is contesting the CAM position with James, its Thomas Müller.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Boateng got demolished by Messi in the CL on the games biggest stage. I'd almost put Mascherano over him at CB. Boateng gets burned pretty frequently when Bayern Munich are playing against better clubs. Pretty clear that Suarez should be there over Ronaldo also. James was incredible in 2014, but Rakitic had a better 2015.

It's really nice to see Dani Alves get some more love. A much under appreciated guy who's a been a pretty big key for Barca's success the past decade.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Every decent defender in the world has been absolutely done by Messi so I don't think that's a fair method of judging defenders at all. Ramos gets humiliated by him every year but you didn't mention that. Funny.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
lol no EPL player
lol EPL
That's just because of UEFAliga.

Ramos, Pique, Alves, and Iniesta shouldn't be on this list. All of them are amazing players, Iniesta once was an amazing player, but none of them are best out of the best. I love James, but he's another one who you can arguably shouldn't be on this list either.

Those who watch Thiago Silva and Boateng regularly don't know what you're talking about.
If you watch the EPL, the most entertaining league in the world, an opalite rock would know that Kompany is still a top 3 defender in the world...period. He shouldn't be on this list due to his injury problems, but absolutely him and Robben are players who should be on any best of best list regardless of current injuries.

And seriously Boateng? Good for him to get the recognition here, but is that all football can produce? Really, really, really, really weak current CB class for football in the present state.

Every decent defender in the world has been absolutely done by Messi so I don't think that's a fair method of judging defenders at all. Ramos gets humiliated by him every year but you didn't mention that. Funny.
Ramos is overrated to begin with. Just because they play for Barca and Real Madrid, doesn't mean they're world class players. No one here would think Pepe is even close of being a top 10-15 in the CB position.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Boateng got demolished by Messi in the CL on the games biggest stage. I'd almost put Mascherano over him at CB. Boateng gets burned pretty frequently when Bayern Munich are playing against better clubs. Pretty clear that Suarez should be there over Ronaldo also. James was incredible in 2014, but Rakitic had a better 2015.

It's really nice to see Dani Alves get some more love. A much under appreciated guy who's a been a pretty big key for Barca's success the past decade.

Got demolished on one play and that totally invalidates his quality over the whole year. LMAO. The smallest of sample sizes. :laugh: Football fans...

yep.

That's just because of UEFAliga.

Ramos, Pique, Alves, and Iniesta shouldn't be on this list. All of them are amazing players, Iniesta once was an amazing player, but none of them are best out of the best. I love James, but he's another one who you can arguably shouldn't be on this list either.

If you watch the EPL, the most entertaining league in the world, an opalite rock would know that Kompany is still a top 3 defender in the world...period. He shouldn't be on this list due to his injury problems, but absolutely him and Robben are players who should be on any best of best list regardless of current injuries.

And seriously Boateng? Good for him to get the recognition here, but is that all football can produce? Really, really, really, really weak current CB class for football in the present state.

Ramos is overrated to begin with. Just because they play for Barca and Real Madrid, doesn't mean they're world class players. No one here would think Pepe is even close of being a top 10-15 in the CB position.

Boateng is just a rung below where Thiago Silva was in his prime...and above what Kompany ever produced. He isn't really getting recognition from insular EPL fans like yourself who hold his time at City against him. His passing is absurdly good and well-rounded, he's very coordinated when he gets the ball under pressure, he's fast, strong, good in the air, and rarely makes mistakes. He has improved so much under Pep.

I don't think the CB crop is weak, either. Just that offenses have gotten better at attacking collectively and making a CB's job harder, since it's far less about defending 1-on-1. Boateng, Thiago Silva, Alaba, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Martinez... a lot of quality CBs.

Guess Suarez doesnt exist.

It's a fan vote. No way Ronaldo (and Messi) won't be elected, so it's between Neymar and Suarez (and Müller, who should be there), since these teams are always in a 4-3-3 like Barca and Real of the past.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Got demolished on one play and that totally invalidates his quality over the whole year. LMAO. The smallest of sample sizes. :laugh: Football fans...

yep.

Boateng is just a rung below where Thiago Silva was in his prime...and above what Kompany ever produced. He isn't really getting recognition from insular EPL fans like yourself who hold his time at City against him. His passing is absurdly good and well-rounded, he's very coordinated when he gets the ball under pressure, he's fast, strong, good in the air, and rarely makes mistakes. He has improved so much under Pep.

I don't think the CB crop is weak, either. Just that offenses have gotten better at attacking collectively and making a CB's job harder, since it's far less about defending 1-on-1. Boateng, Thiago Silva, Alaba, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Martinez... a lot of quality CBs.

No arguments from me for Silva, but Boateng above Kompany. What type of Bundesliga-anti-EPL crack are you smoking? :laugh: And then hypocritically call me an EPL homer, yikes.

Boateng, Thiago Silva, Alaba, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Martinez...you named just 7 (8 with Hummels) in a sport filled with 170 MILLION register players. All that does is back up my statement that there isn't a Ronaldo or Neymar equivalent CB currently in the world.

I am a Chelsea fan. I have zero "Bundesliga bias" and hate Bayern. Boateng is a better centre back than Kompany.
Now sure since Kompany has regressed, but during each of their prime? Not in the slightest.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
No arguments from me for Silva, but Boateng above Kompany. What type of Bundesliga-anti-EPL crack are you smoking? :laugh: And then hypocritically call me an EPL homer, yikes.

Boateng, Thiago Silva, Alaba, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Martinez...you named just 7 (8 with Hummels) in a sport filled with 170 MILLION register players. All that does is back up my statement that there isn't a Ronaldo or Neymar equivalent CB currently in the world.

Now sure since Kompany has regressed, but during each of their prime? Not in the slightest.

You don't really provide a counter-argument here other than "no, you."

Thiago Silva was absolutely that all-time great central defender. His adjusting movements while defending are/were perfect, he was a strong tackler, good in the air, pretty fast, really smart in buildup, and a good passer. One historian of football whom I read claimed that he is the best central defender ever...

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
You don't really provide a counter-argument here other than "no, you."

Thiago Silva was absolutely that all-time great central defender. His adjusting movements while defending are/were perfect, he was a strong tackler, good in the air, pretty fast, really smart in buildup, and a good passer. One historian of football whom I read claimed that he is the best central defender ever...

All due respect, but that historian is a nut.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
All due respect, but that historian is a nut.

Not really. He's one of the smartest footballing people I've read. I'm confident he has watched tons of matches of all the greats. His opinion may be unconventional, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any merit.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not really. He's one of the smartest footballing people I've read. I'm confident he has watched tons of matches of all the greats. His opinion may be unconventional, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any merit.

I meant specifically that opinion, I have no idea on his intelligence on the whole.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd pick something more along the lines of:

abKrT3Damk.png

With Pogba also in the mix for the 8 or pseudo-8/pseudo-10. If not put Alaba into one of those spots to get both Boa and Bonucci onto the pitch.

Edit:
Actually, put Alaba at the 8 with Thiago Silva joining Boa/Bonucci at CB and Ilkay/Veratti/Pogba/Hames/Mesut battling for the half-8/half-10.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Some ridiculous comments per usual.

If a CB has to go, it should be Ramos. Pique and Boateng would be my pairing, but I could see Silva in there as well. Kompany isn't even fourth choice much less fifth, sixth, etc.

Iniesta absolutely should be there considering it's the calendar year. In fact of the midfielders he's IMO the last who shouldn't be there. I'd replace Pogba with Busquets and I'd probably dump Rodriguez as well.

I would put Suarez there in front of Ronaldo as well.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

There are plenty examples of Boateng getting burned. Watch his next game against a talented attack. He presses too much. Either way, there aren't too many defenders that are more insulated than him at Bayern Munich. There are dozens of guys that can do as good of a job of defending as he does for them. I suppose you can counter that he does well going forward, but that's a pretty trivial attribute for a CB.

Look at some of the CB's that have played alongside Kompany and looked like ****. Mangala, Savic, Otamendi, Demichellis, Nastasic, Lescott, and even Boateng. They all had good reputations, and Kompany was undoubtedly better than all of them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Boateng played RB in that City team. Also, maybe if those players all look like **** next to Kompany, maybe he's the one that's **** and people are just willfully ignoring how **** he is?

Part of what makes a great central defender is their ability to form a solid partnership with whoever they're playing next to.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Silva's easily the best CB in the game IMO.
And for those who say every CB gets humiliated by Messi it's true... except Silva. They met multiple times last season and two years before. Silva was NEVER beaten by Messi. In fact, he managed to stiffle him most of the game they've played against one another.

Aurier shadowed Ronaldo easily this year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad