UEFA's team of the year 2015

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
According to UEFA, this is how the perfect team looks like for 2015:

2FE9663200000578-3390113-image-m-3_1452255628148.jpg

Is this really the best selection possible?

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Unless you find a way to clone 10 Messi's and thrown Neuer in goal, it's impossible that Neymar could ever be a weak link in any squad.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
Unless you find a way to clone 10 Messi's and thrown Neuer in goal, it's impossible that Neymar could ever be a weak link in any squad.

A team with 10 Messi will be a disaster. A team without Neymar has no problems.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'd add Alexis Sanchez over James Rodriguez and Vincent Kompany over Pique. Neymar is also a weak link in this squad.

Disagree with both of those, especially Kompany. Not sure James belongs in the midfield, but he belongs more than Alexis does. And yeah, Neymar is so much less a weak link than Ronaldo.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A team with 10 Messi will be a disaster. A team without Neymar has no problems.

I could see Messi being a world class player at every position other than goalkeeper and central defender tbh. Maybe DM. A team with 10 Messis would never lose the ball either, and Messi is actually amazing defensively when he puts in the work.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
I could see Messi being a world class player at every position other than goalkeeper and central defender tbh. Maybe DM. A team with 10 Messis would never lose the ball either, and Messi is actually amazing defensively when he puts in the work.

Yes, I understand what you mean, but my point in this discussion is not Messi's abilities- we know them and there is no argument here. The point is that UEFA selected a team that has bad balance.

Three offensive midfielders with three attackers will open huge gap in the midfield. So the perfect team is not so perfect.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yes, I understand what you mean, but my point in this discussion is not Messi's abilities- we know them and there is no argument here. The point is that UEFA selected a team that has bad balance.

Three offensive midfielders with three attackers will open huge gap in the midfield. So the perfect team is not so perfect.

Of course they didn't. They never do, especially in midfield. I don't understand why you would want to replace James with Alexis, then. Alexis doesn't really play as a midfielder like James.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
Of course they didn't. They never do, especially in midfield. I don't understand why you would want to replace James with Alexis, then. Alexis doesn't really play as a midfielder like James.

At Arsenal Sanchez plays in the same position as James on this scheme.

1206086_Arsenal.jpg

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
At Arsenal Sanchez plays in the same position as James on this scheme.

1206086_Arsenal.jpg

That's not the same position. That's basically the equivalent of the position occupied by Neymar in UEFA's diagram. James played mostly as an 8 this year with Bale, Ronaldo, and Benzema as a front line.

Hawks Win

Apr 24, 2015
That's not the same position. That's basically the equivalent of the position occupied by Neymar in UEFA's diagram. James played mostly as an 8 this year with Bale, Ronaldo, and Benzema as a front line.

Arsene Wenger uses the scheme 4-5-1 usually and Alexis is one of those 5 in the midfield. He also has decent defensive game and great ball transitioning from defense to attack.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Arsene Wenger uses the scheme 4-5-1 usually and Alexis is one of those 5 in the midfield. He also has decent defensive game and great ball transitioning from defense to attack.

But it's really not a 4-5-1. It's not a flat 5 at all. Usually more of a 4-2-3-1 when I've seen Arsenal play. A true 4-5-1 is generally reserved for teams bunkering deep in their own half. Alexis is a wide forward who cuts into the middle in the attacking third. James plays deeper and more centrally. Alexis couldn't perform James' role at all. He just isn't that kind of player. For further evidence of this, look at where Alexis played when he was still at Barca: in the front three where Neymar is.

I could see an argument for Özil, who has been tremendous this half-season, over James.

And yes, James is a better player than Alexis.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lol Sanchez, kompany?

The real issue is that the runners up have only 1 player named. Not that these teams mean anything to anyone but a couple more juve players should be on there.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Lol Sanchez, kompany?

The real issue is that the runners up have only 1 player named. Not that these teams mean anything to anyone but a couple more juve players should be on there.

Dortmund and Atletico got the same representation in the fan vote when they made the final. I can't think of any Juve player who unequivocally belongs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dortmund and Atletico got the same representation in the fan vote when they made the final. I can't think of any Juve player who unequivocally belongs.

Both times UEFA got it wrong.

maybe not unequivocally but one of Vidal,Pirlo,Tevez and Cheillini deserves to be on the list. I mean Juve weren't in the final because of solely Pogba.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would say:

Neuer
Aurier - Boateng - Pique - Alaba
Busquets
Verratti - James
Messi - Suarez - Neymar​

I'd replace James with Modric if he were healthier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad