Euro: UEFA U-21 in Poland 2017

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Though there's talents who could be on this team like Sane, Werner, Kimmich, Henrichs, and LeGo; the german squad should still be pretty strong...even if I worry we're going to under-utilize the talent on hand. Dahoud & Amiri are excellent young 8s, Arnold is a very solid player for that position as well. Max Meyer has stagnated at the senior level, but can still dominate at this level. Gnabry should tear things up while Philipp hopefully raises his profile...if given the opportunity to lead the line ahead of Selke. Tah is as good as any CB at this tourney with quality options for partners in Kehrer / Stark / Kempf / Baumgartl / Anton. And even our FBs look like a strength with Weiser, Klunter, Toljan, and Gerhardt.

If I was in charge I'd roll out

Selke/Meyer - Philipp
Meyer/Amiri
Gnabry - Amiri/Arnold - Dahoud - Weiser
Stark/Kempf - Tah - Kehrer​

like at the u20s GK will be a weakness for this squad, though Vlachodimos has the pedigree and raw talent if he's gotten sufficient seasoning in Greece.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Why do English players not play in foreign leagues? its pretty sad tbh.

Wages, some of these players can even make more in the Championship than playing for some midtable club in continental Europe

And also probably mentality, all you have to do is look at when Joe Hart moved to Torino what the narrative was. He's not English, but when Scottish international Oliver Burke went to RB Leipzig you had pundits questioning that move and saying he was better off at going to Sunderland/Burnley type club just to be in the EPL :laugh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
. He's not English, but when Scottish international Oliver Burke went to RB Leipzig you had pundits questioning that move and saying he was better off at going to Sunderland/Burnley type club just to be in the EPL :laugh:

Oh man. Yeah, I remember those comments. A year later and RB Leipzig is playing in the CL, and Burnley is still just a relegation candidate.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden's expecting 5000 fans tomorrow against England.

The team itself has a lot of questionmarks. We did 10 subs in a friendly against Denmark and lost it 0-2. We have to pick form vs. routine & chemistry in certain positions.

With this format so much hinges on the first match and not having to chase all the way.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
This thread just pisses me off, reminds me of 2015 where we choked away another final.

That team should have won.

The squad this year is nearly as good, not as good defensively but it has better forwards.

Starting lineup should be something like:

-------------------Joel Periera (Manchester United)--------------------------
---------Ruben Semedo (Villareal)-------Tobias (Sporting)------------------
Cancelo (Valencia)--------------------------Kevin Rodrigues (Real Sociadad)
---------------------------Ruben Neves (Porto)------------------------------
---------Bruno Fernandes (Sampdoria)---Sanches (Bayern)--------------
Iuri Medeiros (Sporting)----------------------------------Bruma (RB Liepzig)
---------------------------------Guedes (PSG)--------------------------------

Some questionable omissions with Marcos Lopes (Monaco) left off the squad, and Fabio Cardoso (just signed for Rangers) or Duarte not called to partner Semedo at the back..

Despite that this squad is right behind Spain/Italys and could cause some damage, I would but them as favourites behind those two and on par with Germany.

Sadly 2 years ago was our chance to win and we pissed it away.

Serbia is going to be a really tough opponent for the opening match which is a must win.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Spain have assembled a pretty ridiculous squad for this tournament. I think on paper they should be the clear favourites to win. Bellerin, Gaya, Vallejo, Grimaldo, Saul Niguez, Denis Suarez, Asensio, Marcos Llorente, Carlos Soler, Deulofeu.. Damn.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Sanches, Bruma, Joel Periera, and Iuri Medeiros left on the bench vs Serbia

Are you kidding me? Worry about beating a strong Serbia first before resting players for the Spain game ffs.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
1-0

Guedes whose been good, he's improved since moving to PSG

Still, not a completely convincing performance.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
2-0 Fernandes, great ball by Sanches

Honestly we have been so lethargic with all the talent we have

Bruma and Sanches look too laid back since they have come on.

Joao Cancelo has been excellent at RB

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Spain have assembled a pretty ridiculous squad for this tournament. I think on paper they should be the clear favourites to win. Bellerin, Gaya, Vallejo, Grimaldo, Saul Niguez, Denis Suarez, Asensio, Marcos Llorente, Carlos Soler, Deulofeu.. Damn.

Who was that said Spain's young kids are falling behind?:laugh:

BTW I really don't get this tournament... a lot of these players are over 21. Deulofeu has been on that team for years now.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Saul from Gaya and it's a quick lead for Spain

edit: Asensio with a fantastic goal. wow

edit²: now Deulofeu with a PK goal. this is going to get ugly for Macedonia

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
incredible that Macedonia even qualified, even with an expanded tournament, by far the weakest of the ex-YU countries and by far with the worst league (not counting Kosovo as they are still "young"). They create a decent player once in a while (Pancev, Pandev) but too few to be competitive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad