UEFA to consider scrapping away goal rule

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't like it if it means that more games are decided by penalties.

My ideal situation is still that the away goal rule applies but only after extra time. If teams play 210 minutes of football and are still tied, fine, away goals makes sense because it is harder to win on the road (this season notwithstanding).

To me, having penalties decide important ties is like the NHL deciding to have a shootout decide playoff games.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Terrible move it would be and zero understanding of the game.

Not surprised though, tons of new fans don't understand the principles of this rule. UEFA wants those new fans.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Should be removed, it's not like the conditions would vary much anymore and teams should be encouraged to produce the same effort home and away.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If you win your home leg 2-0 how are you more incentivized to "park the bus" with the away goal rule vs. not having it?

The only scenario I can see the "away goal rule" being an issue is when the away team win the first leg.

It is a fact that scoring goals away is more difficult than scoring at home. Not sure why one wouldn't want to recognize that? It isn't perfect, but neither are penalty shoot-outs or any sort of 3 on 3 hockey style.

So for me away goals works fine - being the lesser evil I think.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't like it if it means that more games are decided by penalties.

My ideal situation is still that the away goal rule applies but only after extra time. If teams play 210 minutes of football and are still tied, fine, away goals makes sense because it is harder to win on the road (this season notwithstanding).

To me, having penalties decide important ties is like the NHL deciding to have a shootout decide playoff games.
Away goals after extra time is the worst possible scenario. How is it fair that one team gets 30 extra minutes to score away?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't like the penalties, but I think better integrity over two legs makes up for the difference. This season too we had more away goals than home goals scored in the Champions League and I don't see that as desirable.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Probably linked to no fans?

I would agree it is a pointless thing the day there is no real difference when playing home or away.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't see the point in getting rid of away goals.

I can see where a completely mangled decision can lead to some injustice. But in general, it's pretty equal for both sides. Even if a side is parking the bus, if they happen to give up an away goal, it's going to force them out of their comfort and to go for it in the return leg.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't see the point in getting rid of away goals.

I can see where a completely mangled decision can lead to some injustice. But in general, it's pretty equal for both sides. Even if a side is parking the bus, if they happen to give up an away goal, it's going to force them out of their comfort and to go for it in the return leg.

When you attend a match in person don't you think it's detrimental to the game when your home team is playing cautiously so that they wouldn't allow that valuable away goal instead of trying to use their home advantage and build up a lead for the away leg? I find European matches quite unattractive to attend because of this dynamic.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Teams are still going to play conservatively. Away goal or no, some teams will park the bus and hope for a chance or two of set pieces in the end.

Penalties are so stupid. Might as well flip coins, hit targets or run a race. If you're going extra time (which seems to be in the proposal) it's just more wear and tear on players.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
The word going around is that by getting rid of the away goal, UEFA can arrange some of the CL games to be played in China/Middle East in the future. Reason: money, of course.

Reactions: Rob and Havre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad