Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2017
Did i stutter?

Maybe don’t draw 4 of 5 with a team, failing to score in 3 of them, and then moan about luck. Be better or jog on.
1BD847E0-1C3B-4A52-8306-99500F0D1CA1.gif

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Pukkiparty!!!!!!!!!!:

I hope for the sake of all the hipsters in the Finnish fan section that Finland doesn't make it to the Euros. They'd have to find a different team to support because the Finnish football team wouldn't be that cool anymore.

Its kinda weird that Finland has a striker who is one the best in Europe at the moment

Sorry to break this to you but it's not 1995.

Last edited:

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Hi. This is off topic, but I wanted to ask someone a question and you seem as good as anyone to ask.

What is the projection for the current Italian national team? After missing the last World Cup, are things looking up for euro and the next World Cup? I am admittedly one of the “every two year” fans that I am sure are ridiculed here haha and I’ll openly own that.

@Incubajerks
@Juve
@Il Mediano

(Evilo says you’re the ones around here to ask)

It's hard to say because their toughest competition so far was yesterday, Greece which they mopped the floor with. There has been a lot of positives going forward, they are playing younging players, attacking football, not parking the bus after scoring a goal, they are going for more goals. I think the biggest issue has been finding a consistent striker, both Immobile and Belotti failed miserably. They should be playing Kean more often, he did score goals in both games he's played. So far, I am enjoying the direction the team is heading.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Did i stutter?

Maybe don’t draw 4 of 5 with a team, failing to score in 3 of them, and then moan about luck. Be better or jog on.
Did I mention all the games being luck?

And who in Denmark are acting as if San Marino beat Spain, because this was a draw?

They played 3 games that were 0-0, ik those games, Denmark had an avg. 67% possession. They did not really produce any big chances, Ireland pack the defense well.

No luck in those games.

Ireland are then forced to open up and get hammered 5-1.

Last game, the 1-1 game, the one, if not clear by now, is the game I was reffering to all along.

and imo, that was a game were the Irish were lucky the Danes were so unsharp.

No one is acting like the result is a suprise, no one in Denmark has been arrogant.

Denmark are well aware that Ireland are no walkover, all they said was. Ireland would sit back as always, and they did.

And they said, if they score, it will be a header from freekick from Duffy, which it was..

Reactions: Lepardi

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's hard to say because their toughest competition so far was yesterday, Greece which they mopped the floor with. There has been a lot of positives going forward, they are playing younging players, attacking football, not parking the bus after scoring a goal, they are going for more goals. I think the biggest issue has been finding a consistent striker, both Immobile and Belotti failed miserably. They should be playing Kean more often, he did score goals in both games he's played. So far, I am enjoying the direction the team is heading.

Kean will be on the team for sure. He is on the U21 team right now for the World Cup coming up.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Did I mention all the games being luck?

And who in Denmark are acting as if San Marino beat Spain, because this was a draw?

They played 3 games that were 0-0, ik those games, Denmark had an avg. 67% possession. They did not really produce any big chances, Ireland pack the defense well.

No luck in those games.

Ireland are then forced to open up and get hammered 5-1.

Last game, the 1-1 game, the one, if not clear by now, is the game I was reffering to all along.

and imo, that was a game were the Irish were lucky the Danes were so unsharp.

No one is acting like the result is a suprise, no one in Denmark has been arrogant.

Denmark are well aware that Ireland are no walkover, all they said was. Ireland would sit back as always, and they did.

And they said, if they score, it will be a header from freekick from Duffy, which it was..

What's funny is that if you watch Irish TV, the pundits act like they should be outplaying teams like Denmark, too. Everyone outside Ireland knows that the Irish national team are basically a glorified English second tier side, but that won't stop their pundits from expecting skilled attacking football and slating their manager for playing defensively in such games. They think a team like Denmark can be taken. Maybe they're right, perhaps not.

The reality of it is that among the non-giant teams 'with a chance' (i.e. teams that will qualify for tournaments with some regularity) the hierarchy is always shifting, and no-one thinks of their own team as the team that's cannon fodder, everyone thinks their team should be the team on the rise ready to play with the big boys. Danish think the Irish should be beaten, Irish think the Danish should be beaten. Who would have thought? People are a bit biased toward their own teams.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Its kinda weird that Finland has a striker who is one the best in Europe at the moment

I'm trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a joke or not. Pukki is a fun story, but thats really all.

Happy for Finland and all that but he is not some savior player

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I'm trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a joke or not. Pukki is a fun story, but thats really all.

Happy for Finland and all that but he is not some savior player

I guess you haven't seen his matches (at all), followed him this past season?.
In upcoming season you must be surprised then, don't be thou.

Pukki has not been amazing this season just because of his goals, the amount of work he does for his team is unheard of for a striker.

He goes to help the D, his work ethic in the midfield and in the last 3rd the is priceless, with and without the ball, making plays with the ball,is always open at the right time, his runs are always perfect, his timing in those is something else.

He is aggressive without the ball, an insane workhorse pressuring the opposition players for full 90 minutes.
He is fast with and without the ball , he used to be easily physically out matched in the past, not anymore,
his time in Denmark and now in England has made him strong. Every true football fan knows this; if you can physically match
in the championship, you can physically match anywhere in the world (Championship is the best 2nd tier league in the world
and its the most physical league in the world)

Pukki would be perfect for Pep's City BTW, a dream player for him

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
“Best in Europe”

Sure. A 29 year old with a break out season in the championship

Pukki has not been amazing this season just because of his goals, the amount of work he does for his team is unheard of for a striker.

He goes to help the D, his work ethic in the midfield and in the last 3rd the is priceless, with and without the ball,
making plays with the ball,is always open at the right time, his runs are always perfect, his timing in those is something else.

He is aggressive without the ball, an insane workhorse pressuring the opposition players for full 90 minutes.
He is fast with and without the ball , he used to be easily physically out matched in the past, not anymore,
his time in Denmark and now in England has made him strong. Every true football fan knows this; if you can physically match
in the championship, you can physically match anywhere in the world (Championship is the best 2nd tier league in the world

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Pukki is not exactly Lewa or Ronaldo, but, for example, our top striker is Kramaric (and he doesn't even play that role in Hoffenheim).

Pukki is a rare commodity in football these days, and not to be underestimated IMO, despite him breaking out at 29.

Natural goalscoring strikers are a dying breed and our NT has been starving for one since Eduardo.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
So today in Madrid we'll be watching a team that were knocked out in the round of 16 take on a team who made it to the quarterfinals at the World Cup then :sarcasm:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
They seem to have quite the unwarranted arrogance don't they? The sense of entitlement some Scandinavians have when it comes to international football is confusing.
Can you please elaborate?

This is close to the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Sure the Irish arent just being dramatic?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think Denmark is legit.

In the WC, France beat us 4-2 in the final, but the score doesn't tell the full tale... Croatia was the better team for 60 minutes (though it was hard to create real quality chances vs that French team), got scored on by a two unlucky goals that some other ref doesn't even give a chance to occur (foul on Griez and the, at best, 50-50 handball)... And then the game got away from us and France tore us to shreds, fair enough.

But it felt like, on another day, with another ref, and maybe with not 3 extra times behind us, we could play our football, having probably the best midfield in the world and we would be good.

Against Denmark though... We couldn't play.
They have some underrated players, very disciplined, very aggressive and (like France) they skip the midfield if they have to.
Unlike France, they don't fall back and wait for counters, they play high up the pitch and press you, and the execute their game plan perfectly.

Having watched them a couple of times since then, I think it's just a real solid team that maybe lacks a bit of flair outside of Eriksen, but as a team, in a new tournament (EURO 2020) I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go deep.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This Pukki thing is the only downside to the Rangers drafting Kakko. Bunch of Finns flooding the NYR board after he scores a preseason goal asking if he’s the best player we’ve ever seen.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This Pukki thing is the only downside to the Rangers drafting Kakko. Bunch of Finns flooding the NYR board after he scores a preseason goal asking if he’s the best player we’ve ever seen.
Honestly, I never lump elements of fanbases together but I never seen anything like them here in terms of so many members of a fanbase being exactly the same.

I had 3-4 guys arguing me for pages on end telling that if I can’t see that Aho is clearly on his way to being better than McDavid, I must not understand the sport.

Maybe it’s just an HF thing but the only other fanbase so delusional and removed from reality as a generalization is the leafs fanbase.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
@Scott Stevens

The projection? I dunno, I wouldn't put them in the contender's group- that's for sure.

Italy's finally moved on the from the old guard and introduced some promising players - but I don't think we'll have enough elite players in their prime to really make a difference in 2020.

We'll always have a good defense, but I'm not sure we'll have the guys to create and finish.

There's no Totti/Baggio/Pirlo or anything remotely close to that, atm. And whilst Immobile and Belotti are good strikers, they're nothing that should strike fear into the rest of Europe.

If I had to guess, I'd say they make it to the quarter-finals.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

He goes to help the D, his work ethic in the midfield and in the last 3rd the is priceless, with and without the ball,
making plays with the ball,is always open at the right time, his runs are always perfect, his timing in those is something else.

I have watched a lot of Championship over the years and I did watch Norwich this past season a little (not too much to be fair). He had a great year and I'll give him that, but the transition to the prem is so tough; you got to be just as strong plus your brain has to move much faster, I don't think his decision making is there, plus he capitalized a lot on the bad level of defending in the championship, a lot of the goal she scored this past year just won't happen in the Prem cause of how much more competent the defending is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad