Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Nations League and the Euro format are two separate things. Both of them were however championed by the same corrupt idiot Michel Platini.

The Euro format is almost certainly a one off though. 2024 will be in Germany, and I think everyone knows how weird a “travel Euro” really is at a time when politicians are talking about all sorts of extra taxes for air travel due to the environmental impact.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I was highly sceptical about the Nations League, and though I don't have a particular opinion on how it affects qualification, I can say that it was quite interesting to see matches that truly were against very evenly matched teams.

Reactions: cgf

member 305909

Nations League and the Euro format are two separate things. Both of them were however championed by the same corrupt idiot Michel Platini.

The Euro format is almost certainly a one off though. 2024 will be in Germany, and I think everyone knows how weird a “travel Euro” really is at a time when politicians are talking about all sorts of extra taxes for air travel due to the environmental impact.

The 2026 World Cup even though only in three countries it is spread in a wider area than the Euro 2020.

The WC in Qatar is very compact. I don't think there is over one hours drive from any place to any other place.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
The 2026 World Cup even though only in three countries it is spread in a wider area than the Euro 2020.

The WC in Qatar is very compact. I don't think there is over one hours drive from any place to any other place.

Good for Qatar, I guess. I'll still rather travel between Bucharest and Budapest for Euro 2020, between Berlin and Munich for Euro 2024, or between NYC and Boston for World Cup 2026. Countries like Romania, Hungary and USA have their fair share of problems but at least they're not backwards enough to keep homosexuality illegal in the year 2019.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So today is the last day of qualifying, only real drama is in Group E but there is still seeding to play for, unfortunately I work in the evening so will miss the second halves of these matches

The games of importance are in Group E: Wales-Hungary is basically a winner take all match with the winner qualifying, if they draw it opens the door for Slovakia who host Azerbaijan. The two teams who don't qualify directly today are guaranteed at least a playoff however

Both Germany and Netherlands know they are in but still most get results to be in Pot 1; Germany control their own destiny needing a win at home to Northern Ireland. For the Dutch its out of their hands, they need Germany to lose plus win by three goals at home to Estonia. Should neither Germany/Netherlands get the required results, France is seeded. Portugal is keeping a close eye too but they need miracle results to jump to Pot 2 (both Germany and Netherlands losing).

The other games are largely meaningless, only Belgium could have the prestige of finishing as the team with best qualifying record with a four goal win thanks to Italy's scoreline yesterday

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
The only positive is that English, Russian, and Scottish fans will be limited to destroying one city in each country rather than rampaging around a whole country and destroying the city squares in every major region. Spread some of that around to the rest of the continent, it’s easier to pay for.

Strange comment. I can't remember the Tartan Army causing trouble anywhere in the last 20-30 years (insert joke about not qualifying here). I think you'd have to go back as far as the 80s to find any hooliganism on that scale.

They drink a lot but generally travel well and in good spirits.

Reactions: cgf

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Both Germany and Netherlands know they are in but still most get results to be in Pot 1; Germany control their own destiny needing a win at home to Northern Ireland. For the Dutch its out of their hands, they need Germany to lose plus win by three goals at home to Estonia.

I don't think Germany has to lose. If Germany ties Northern Ireland and Netherlands beats Estonia, they'll both be at 19 points. Netherlands would win the group because they beat Germany 4-2 away while Germany only won 3-2 in Amsterdam.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
22 year old Elias Cobbaut will debut for Belgium tonight, left footed defender from Anderlecht, I don't think he's anything special and I don't understand why guys like Bjorn Engels or Zinho Vanheusden aren't even called up but this guy is

Also in the line up tonight are Christian Benteke (sigh), Jason Denayer will play in between Cobbaut and Alderweireld, Hans Vanaken from Club Brugge will partner Tielemans in midfield and Carrasco will get another chance, he needs to impress because all those lacklustre performances for the NT has left him on the bubble for the final EC squad

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The only positive is that English, Russian, and Scottish fans will be limited to destroying one city in each country rather than rampaging around a whole country and destroying the city squares in every major region. Spread some of that around to the rest of the continent, it’s easier to pay for.
Some brass neck on a Liverpool fan claiming any other footballing support doesn't travel well

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Strange comment. I can't remember the Tartan Army causing trouble anywhere in the last 20-30 years (insert joke about not qualifying here). I think you'd have to go back as far as the 80s to find any hooliganism on that scale.

They drink a lot but generally travel well and in good spirits.

Was thinking more of the Sevco fans that will travel along.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
22 year old Elias Cobbaut will debut for Belgium tonight, left footed defender from Anderlecht, I don't think he's anything special and I don't understand why guys like Bjorn Engels or Zinho Vanheusden aren't even called up but this guy is

Also in the line up tonight are Christian Benteke (sigh), Jason Denayer will play in between Cobbaut and Alderweireld, Hans Vanaken from Club Brugge will partner Tielemans in midfield and Carrasco will get another chance, he needs to impress because all those lacklustre performances for the NT has left him on the bubble for the final EC squad

Didn't Vanheusden play a major role in the U-21 just the other day. Maybe it was thought he is needed more in that team for now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wijnaldum impressive as usual. 2 goals, frustrating because of Koeman had played a similar line-up against Ireland they likely top the group.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
Could be some really ugly groups in the Euros, as if I understood it correctly the pots will be decided completely out of the qualifying games and ranks being completely ignored.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Just play a 4-2-3-1 Klopp and give Gini that SS role. What a beautiful goal.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Wijnaldum impressive as usual. 2 goals, frustrating because of Koeman had played a similar line-up against Ireland they likely top the group.

Finishing second is probably not that bad for Netherlands. If I understand the seedings correctly, they will get Ukraine from pot 1. Four pot 1 teams are out of question for the Netherlands because they are hosts in other groups, and Belgium have to go into Russia's group because Russia can't play Ukraine for political reasons.

Could be some really ugly groups in the Euros, as if I understood it correctly the pots will be decided completely out of the qualifying games and ranks being completely ignored.

I think Netherlands got lucky. They'll get Ukraine from pot 1 while there are teams like France and Croatia in pot 2.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Boadu with a debut goal, and Stengs with 2 assists. Who would have thought those two could be productive with the NT together? Good thing we have Babel and Berghuis. /endwhine
Finishing second is probably not that bad for Netherlands. If I understand the seedings correctly, they will get Ukraine from pot 1. Four pot 1 teams are out of question for the Netherlands because they are hosts in other groups and Belgium have to go into Russia's group because Russia can't play Ukraine for political reasons.

I think Netherlands got lucky. They'll get Ukraine from pot 1 while there are teams like France and Croatia in pot 2.

I'm usually not too concerned with groups. If they're going to win or go deep in the Euro it doesn't matter who their group opponents are. I would just rather they win every game. :sarcasm:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group C
Germany - Northern Ireland 6:1
Netherlands - Estonia 5:0

Germany were actually trailing but ended up hammering Northern Ireland and confirm their spot in Pot 1

Group E
Slovakia - Azerbaijan 2:0
Wales - Hungary 2:0

The group with the most drama ends with Wales getting the automatic spot at Euro thanks to two Ramsey goals while both Slovakia and Hungary will compete in the playoffs

Group G
Macedonia - Israel 1:0
Latvia - Austria 1:0
Poland - Slovenia 3:2

Not much to play for in this group but Latvia picked up their first win against Austria who had nothing to play for. Macedonia and Israel head to the playoffs with Israel waiting on Friday to see where they play

Group I
Belgium - Cyprus 6:1
San Marino - Russia 0:5
Scotland - Kazakhstan 3:1

Belgium statistically were the best team in the qualifiers, simply breezed this group. It may be grasping at straws but Scotland can take some momentum to the playoffs having won three in a row albeit against the group minnows

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So first things first its the playoff draw on Friday, the draw will determine which League C teams go to League A to fill those spots and it will also determine who hosts the final match (the semifinals are hosted by the team with the higher NL finish). The League B and D playoffs are known, A and C will be determined Friday

League A Playoffs
Iceland vs. Hungary/Romania
Bulgaria/Israel vs. Israel/Hungary

League B Playoffs
Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Northern Ireland (they met also in the NL, BiH winning both games)
Slovakia vs. Republic of Ireland

League C Playoffs
Scotland vs. BUL/ISR/ROU/HUN
Norway vs. Serbia

League D Playoffs
Georgia vs. Belarus
Macedonia vs. Kosovo

I will open the Euro 2020 draw thread when it gets closer but here are the pots, in parenthesis are the group where the team will be placed due to the venues

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy (A), England (D), Germany (F), Spain (E), Ukraine
Pot 2: France, Poland, Switzerland, Croatia, Netherlands (C), Russia (B)
Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark (B), Austria, Sweden, Czech Republic
Pot 4: Wales, Finland + four playoff winners

We also already know pretty much where each team can be drawn, Group B is pretty much complete already while Ukraine will be with the Dutch

Group A: Italy, FRA/POL/SUI/CRO, POR/TUR/AUT/SWE/CZE, Finland/Wales
Group B: Belgium, Denmark, Russia, Finland/Wales
Group C: Ukraine, Netherlands, POR/TUR/AUT/SWE/CZE, Playoff winner A/C/D
Group D: England, FRA/POL/SUI/CRO, POR/TUR/AUT/SWE/CZE, Playoff winner C/D
Group E: Spain, FRA/POL/SUI/CRO, POR/TUR/AUT/SWE/CZE, Playoff winner B
Group F: Germany, FRA/POL/SUI/CRO, POR/TUR/AUT/SWE/CZE, Playoff winner A/C/D

Pretty much if you are in Pots 2 or 3 the draw is unknown now

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Why can't Belgium draw a playoff winner?

The path B playoffs include Ireland. That's why the path B winner goes into the group hosted by Dublin (group E).

Group C is hosted by Bucharest, group D is hosted by Glasgow, and group F is hosted by Budapest. Romania, Scotland, and Hungary are in the playoffs. That's why the two winners from the playoff paths including those countries (paths A and C) will be placed in two of those three groups. The third spot will go to path D playoff winners, because path D includes Kosovo who can't be placed in Russia's group for political reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad