Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ireland huffing and puffing but the only way they can create chances is a long ball into the box and hope for the best, Schmiechel almost took an unnecessary risk coming off his line that far but they get away with it

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Denmark hold on, the last 10-15 minutes was some of the ugliest drama you will see, it was basically Ireland pumping long balls into the box and at times games of head tennis in the area :D Switzerland win the group and move to Pot 2 while Portugal is the landmine from Pot 3 in the upcoming draw

As for Denmark they will be placed in the group with Belgium and Russia. Only question in the draw is who the team from Pot 4 will be and who hosts the match between Russia-Denmark

Reactions: QuietContrarian

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Not a tough opponent by any means but prior Italy squads would have been happy with a 1-1 draw. I've never seen an Italy team show this kind of ruthlessness before.

Reactions: Juve

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Not a tough opponent by any means but prior Italy squads would have been happy with a 1-1 draw. I've never seen an Italy team show this kind of ruthlessness before.

I was just about to post the same thing.

I remember the days where we'd score 1-0 then park the bus for the rest of the day. Now were are still attacking at 92nd minute! We are also playing the younger players too. I am loving this Italy! Plus, the new kits are fire!!!!

Reactions: StevenF1919

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Worst match I have seen Denmark play for a long time, looked static, rattled and nervous - I actually think the Irish played better than they have in all the qualifier.

But it has to said that Delaney and Cornelius were injured within 15 minutes and the Danes were forced to use 2 subs after 15 mins..

Danish players said themselves they played horribly.

Imo the game tonight, the home game against the Swiss, and the away game against Georgia were horrible, and they need to play better at the Euros. Hareide might have 34 games unbeaten now, but damn he sets them up to play boring football, hence why his contract was not extended, and they have opted for a more offense minded coach!

Ah well, Denmark might have looked shit, but they are thru. Congrats to both them and the Swiss.

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
As for Denmark they will be placed in the group with Belgium and Russia. Only question in the draw is who the team from Pot 4 will be and who hosts the match between Russia-Denmark

According to ESPN it's Finland:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-eu...09/euro-2020-finals-draw-all-you-need-to-know

As it stands, Finland must go into Russia's group. This is because Russia cannot draw Hungary (hosts), while the winners of playoff paths A, B and C would go into their host group. Finally, Russia cannot draw the winners of path D as they are prohibited from playing Kosovo.

Copenhagen and St. Petersburg are easy to reach for Finnish fans. That's a plus but the stadium in Copenhagen is the smallest in the tournament. Tickets for the match between Denmark and Finland wouldn't be easy to get.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark hold on, the last 10-15 minutes was some of the ugliest drama you will see, it was basically Ireland pumping long balls into the box and at times games of head tennis in the area :D Switzerland win the group and move to Pot 2 while Portugal is the landmine from Pot 3 in the upcoming draw

The groups are already known?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
According to ESPN it's Finland:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-eu...09/euro-2020-finals-draw-all-you-need-to-know

As it stands, Finland must go into Russia's group. This is because Russia cannot draw Hungary (hosts), while the winners of playoff paths A, B and C would go into their host group. Finally, Russia cannot draw the winners of path D as they are prohibited from playing Kosovo.

Copenhagen and St. Petersburg are easy to reach for Finnish fans. That's a plus but the stadium in Copenhagen is the smallest in the tournament. Tickets for the match between Denmark and Finland wouldn't be easy to get.
They have plans to build a new 55.000 seater and another 35.000 seater, tho
they wont be ready till a few years.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not all of them but Group B is pretty much known. We also know Ukraine will either be in Germany or Netherland's group (whoever of those two isn't seeded)
Ugh, I really do not like this new format at all.

Want to go back to one or dual nations hosting, and not 24 teams. And not knowing the groups beforehand..

Boring as f***..

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Group D
Gibraltar - Switzerland 1:6
Rep of Ireland - Denmark 1:1

Switzerland win the group and move into Pot 2, Denmark hold on to qualify directly and already know two of their opponents in the Euros. Ireland will be in the playoffs but do not yet know who they will face

Group F
Malta - Norway 1:2
Spain - Romania 5:0
Sweden - Faroe Islands 3:0

This group was already settled, only Spain confirm their Pot 1 spot with a win and Sweden remain in Pot 3. Both Norway and Romania are in the playoffs; Norway host Serbia in the semifinals while Romania must wait to see who they play

Group J
Greece - Finland 2:1
Italy - Armenia 9:1
Liechtenstein - Bosnia-Herzegovina 0:3

Italy finish the qualifying with a perfect record. Finland's loss in Athens means they remain in Pot 4. Bosnia are in the playoffs and know they will host the semifinal match, but they do not yet know who they play, likely one of the Irelands

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Big game for Wales as they play Hungary tomorrow. I am hoping my Hungarians pull off the upset.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Big game for Wales as they play Hungary tomorrow. I am hoping my Hungarians pull off the upset.
This one was the most interesting 2nd place battle for me because if Wales-Hungary end in a draw, Slovakia would overtake both them and qualify with a very likely home win vs Azerbaijan.

Last edited:

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
This one was the most interesting 2nd place battle for me because if Wales-Hungary end in a draw, Slovakia would overtake both them of win and qualify with a very likely home win vs Azerbaijan.
I am actually Slovak to. So as long as Hungary or Slovakia get into the euros I will be one happy guy! :)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The pre-match studio on Finnish TV was embarrassing. The pundits were talking about how this match doesn't really matter that much and how there's no pressure because of that. Then they had a jolly good laugh talking about the epic hangovers the players must have acquired after they beat Liechtenstein.

In reality winning this match is very important if Finland wants to have a decent chance to make the round of 16. That would be way bigger than qualifying for this open-doors tournament with 24 teams.

Tbh it was the same here. The Czech media was only saying how the last game against Bulgaria was only really about prestige and only after they lost were there suddenly headlines "Complications!!" Anyways, cheers for doing us a solid and being as amateurish as us guys ;)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I assume it's been said in this thread, but this new EURO format is just such. utter. horses*it.

I'm amazed anyone can come up with the rubbish and that anyone can "okay" it.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I assume it's been said in this thread, but this new EURO format is just such. utter. horses*it.

I'm amazed anyone can come up with the rubbish and that anyone can "okay" it.

The only positive is that English, Russian, and Scottish fans will be limited to destroying one city in each country rather than rampaging around a whole country and destroying the city squares in every major region. Spread some of that around to the rest of the continent, it’s easier to pay for.

member 305909

My view is that they have introduced this format because they don't want the big countries to fail to qualify. If you are a league A-team if you don't make it from the qualification-group you are ensured another chance via play-offs.

For teams below league A qualifying for a tournament is more difficult than making it to the knock out-stage in the tournament.

For example Wales. Last time they made it to the semis. This time they may not even qualify.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
My view is that they have introduced this format because they don't want the big countries to fail to qualify. If you are a league A-team if you don't make it from the qualification-group you are ensured another chance via play-offs.

Which big country benefited from this? The only A league team who hasn't qualified yet is Iceland. They have to beat two teams in the playoffs now to make it. In the old system beating one would have been enough.

This format was introduced so that teams would get to play meaningful matches against countries that are about the same level as them. It worked out fine. If you're interested in top-class football, you get to watch matches between the giants, and smaller footballing nations like Finland got to celebrate when they did well against lesser teams.

For teams below league A qualifying for a tournament is more difficult than making it to the knock out-stage in the tournament.

For example Wales. Last time they made it to the semis. This time they may not even qualify.

If Wales doesn't qualify, that means they'll most probably end up 4th in their group. With the old system this would have meant they're out. Now they've still got a chance to make it through the playoffs. Their unlikely semifinal berth from three years ago wouldn't have saved them in either system, nor should it. Just like Iceland's unlikely heroics from 2016 and 2017 wouldn't have guaranteed them a spot at Euro 2020 in the old system either, nor should they.

The fact that Wales pulled a major upset the last time around is no indication that making it to the knock-out stages at the Euros is easier than qualifying for them. It is not. It just shows that when the playoffs are best-of-one, smaller footballing nations have a decent chance to make it further than anyone thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->