Euro: UEFA Euro 2020 Qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Not the best win over Hungary but I’ll take it. Important thing for Slovaks is to beat Hungary and Azerbaijan each time and than hopefully get a tie and win against Wales. Maybe even get a point from Croatia.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Another come from behind win for CRO, though quite nervy, they dominated the match until they scored the go-ahead goal then of course panic as usual, despite that midfield they couldn't control the match and gave up some set pieces. Hopefully this defensive experiment ends against more serious opposition.

Big win for Poland in Austria, that's on paper probably their toughest away game and they got the three points

No real surprises today outside of the Scotland loss (for me not surprising they lost in Kazakhstan but the manner of the defeat)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Easy win vs Russia. Hazard with 2 goals and by far the best player in this game. Tielemans and Dendoncker excellent in midfield together, great to see. Just a very good allround team performance.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Beautiful counter attack. Tielemans with his first international goal.

edit: well ****, Courtois with a horrible, horrible mistake and it's tied 1-1
Blame Martinez for saying he was the best GK in the world right before the game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The difference between the Netherlands under Koeman and how they were under Blind is night and day. They actually look like a team with purpose even though they lost by far their best player (Robben).

Reactions: Ajacied

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Courtois....how many times I felt he came up short for Chelsea....I always felt I was probably just being hard on him as I watched him more than any other keeper. There is no real competition for the gloves with Belgium though and he still is good but I've never considered him one of the world's best.

Scotland....it has to be gutting to have players pull out because of the turf...a big advantage for the Kazahks if teams without a ton of depth will have players not play (Fraser, Paterson and Tierney all reportedly would not be risked on the surface). They can still recover as Russia is not a powerhouse despite their fine WC performance. They will need to offer more than they did today on defense and I assume they will with Tierney and Robertson healthy.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Kazakhs score out of nothing, Merkel (German-Kazakh) with a simple long ball which beats the Scottish defense but credit to Pertsukh for the top corner finish

2-0 before 10 minutes, Scottish defense getting exposed

Merkel was a legit prospect at one point. Of course he’s only representing Kazakhstan now because his career failed.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Courtois....how many times I felt he came up short for Chelsea....I always felt I was probably just being hard on him as I watched him more than any other keeper. There is no real competition for the gloves with Belgium though and he still is good but I've never considered him one of the world's best.

Scotland....it has to be gutting to have players pull out because of the turf...a big advantage for the Kazahks if teams without a ton of depth will have players not play (Fraser, Paterson and Tierney all reportedly would not be risked on the surface). They can still recover as Russia is not a powerhouse despite their fine WC performance. They will need to offer more than they did today on defense and I assume they will with Tierney and Robertson healthy.

Russia’s WC performance was misleading. They are terrible.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
England have had 6 withdrawals, Rashford, Stones, Shaw, TAA, RLC and Delph. Lingard and Winks weren't called up because of injuries.

Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi have been called up. Too many double barrel names. Sancho will probably start.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Very excited for Czechs and England tomorrow!!

The last few games of the whatever-it's-called league were certainly promising, sparking hope such as not experienced in upwards of 10 years. But there are the issues of 1. England being a bit more accomplished team than Slovakia and Ukraine, and 2. We can't have nice things. Still, I can't help but hope that we'll put on a strong performance. Time was there was no team we had to fear, it would be nice to have that feeling again.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I still can't believe there are NO TV rights for the Euro qualifiers in Canada. Here i am purchasing premium soccer networks in BEIN Sports and SportsnetWorld and i can't get a game.

Been a long time since you could not at least get the England matches.

Well i can get Sudan and Equitorial Guinea at 2 pm today.

Reactions: Pouchkine

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
England have had 6 withdrawals, Rashford, Stones, Shaw, TAA, RLC and Delph. Lingard and Winks weren't called up because of injuries.

Ward-Prowse and Hudson-Odoi have been called up. Too many double barrel names. Sancho will probably start.
England have a ridiculously good looking future. If they get a legitimate coach (jury still out on Southgate atm IMO) that knows how to use that kind of talent they will step into the upper echelons of National Teams.

Just looking at guys like Sterling, Sancho, Odoi, Stones, Rice, TAA, Gomez, Maddison, Foden, Chilwell, Shaw, Winks, Cooke, etc. etc. and that doesn't touch on a lot of the other younger guys who haven't even started to break out yet.

In a fantasy land in a few years this team could be crazy:

Sancho - Sterling - Odoi
Foden - Maddison
Rice
Shaw - Stones - Gomez - Trent​

Only problem is their keeper is trash.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
England have a ridiculously good looking future. If they get a legitimate coach (jury still out on Southgate atm IMO) that knows how to use that kind of talent they will step into the upper echelons of National Teams.

Just looking at guys like Sterling, Sancho, Odoi, Stones, Rice, TAA, Gomez, Maddison, Foden, Chilwell, Shaw, Winks, Cooke, etc. etc. and that doesn't touch on a lot of the other younger guys who haven't even started to break out yet.

In a fantasy land in a few years this team could be crazy:

Sancho - Sterling - Odoi
Foden - Maddison
Rice
Shaw - Stones - Gomez - Trent​

Only problem is their keeper is trash.
I feel like you go with Sterling-Rashford-Sancho as the front three.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like you go with Sterling-Rashford-Sancho as the front three.
Maybe...I don't really feel Rashford is on the same level as Sterling/Sancho/Odoi and Sterling did well enough as a lone striker with Liverpool in the past. I could see an argument for Rashford as a more natural striker though and he wouldn't be a terrible option.

The other thing is Brewster is there as well (though it remains to be seen how he returns from injury). I'm biased so I don't know who England fans actually think would be better for their NT but I think he's more highly regarded than any of the other strikers ATM for England.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Maybe...I don't really feel Rashford is on the same level as Sterling/Sancho/Odoi and Sterling did well enough as a lone striker with Liverpool in the past. I could see an argument for Rashford as a more natural striker though and he wouldn't be a terrible option.

The other thing is Brewster is there as well (though it remains to be seen how he returns from injury). I'm biased so I don't know who England fans actually think would be better for their NT but I think he's more highly regarded than any of the other strikers ATM for England.
I thought Brewster was an attacking mid? Or was that a different Pool prospect I’m thinking of. Wilson maybe?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I thought Brewster was an attacking mid? Or was that a different Pool prospect I’m thinking of. Wilson maybe?
He played striker for their Euro win with Sancho and is a natural striker. He can play on the wings. Maybe thinking of Woodburn or Jones? Wilson plays out wide. Woodburn also started as a striker but seems more suited to CM/AM.

Reactions: Gecklund

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

No room for Kane? He'll probably still be the main striker with the players you mentioned.

But as for youths coming up there's also Mason Greenwood(Man U) and Eddie Nketiah(Arsenal).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No room for Kane? He'll probably still be the main striker with the players you mentioned.

But as for youths coming up there's also Mason Greenwood(Man U) and Eddie Nketiah(Arsenal).
Yeah it was meant more to demonstrate the exciting youth crop they have coming up. If Kane is still healthy and in form he would be the guy for sure.

I'm sure Nelson and Maitland-Niles among others would also have a shot. It wasn't meant to be comprehensive...I just don't remember (at least in recent history) England having such a huge number of exciting prospects and potentially top level footballers outside of media fabrication.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yeah it was meant more to demonstrate the exciting youth crop they have coming up. If Kane is still healthy and in form he would be the guy for sure.

I'm sure Nelson and Maitland-Niles among others would also have a shot. It wasn't meant to be comprehensive...I just don't remember (at least in recent history) England having such a huge number of exciting prospects and potentially top level footballers outside of media fabrication.

Yes the youth talent is legit now. Also they are more willing to move abroad than previous generations which increases the chances of them to fully develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad