UEFA Champions' League Knockout stage

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Qataris could figure out how to get FIFA to hand them a WC and move to the fall (while being the worst bid of all time) but can’t figure out how to get UEFA to stop rigging a draw against them.

Checks out.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
My sentence is quite clear.
A top 10 ranked european team has roughly between 15 and 30% of drawing another top 10 team over the last 12 years.
PSG is at 80%

Some would call it unlucky. Some even here managed to say it's normal. So you make your own opinion about that fact which is simply a fact. PSG has more than double the chance as any other team to draw a top 10 team.

I'll also point out that the ref whistled at 89:59 in the PSG-Haifa blowout while his colleague left 5 minutes of ET for Benfica to score the last goal they needed.
Again, those are just fact, and not deniable.

What one might interpret from these is what one wants. I'm just stating pure facts here.
We've done this before. It was dumb then and it's dumb now.

You won't read this because you've ignored me for calling you out on your bullshit too many times, but other people can go back and find the posts where I break it down.

Actually, some of them may have been deleted because someone gets all upset when they are shown to be wrong.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I haven’t done the statistical analysis myself, but from what I recall PSGs percentage of top sides was a bit high but well within a normal distribution, especially considering they virtually never have a significant team eliminated in R16 due to being in the same league unlike most other teams.
This and it is based on where they qualified in group stages. If I recall, every time other than once that PSG qualified in first, they didn't get a top 10 Europe team, and the top 10 Europe team they got on that occasion was Dortmund a year or two ago when they weren't good

Reactions: gary69

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The system is rigged against PSG insofar as UEFA is responsible for Paris being located in France.

Chelsea's odds of getting a top team in the R16 is greatly reduced by virtue of the fact that multiple top teams are also located in England, and so are not possible R16 matchups.

PSG, by virtue of being the only top team from their league, have fewer restrictions on their potential R16 matchups.

Very rude of UEFA to make PSG be a French team.

bye loser, thanks 4 nothing.

would've rather put in Badiashile than Felix, but it's moot because we're gonna go out to BVB

Reactions: gary69

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The system is rigged against PSG insofar as UEFA is responsible for Paris being located in France.

Chelsea's odds of getting a top team in the R16 is greatly reduced by virtue of the fact that multiple top teams are also located in England, and so are not possible R16 matchups.

PSG, by virtue of being the only top team from their league, have fewer restrictions on their potential R16 matchups.

would've rather put in Badiashile than Felix, but it's moot because we're gonna go out to BVB

Does feel like it might be time to reconsider that rule. Especially if the EPL's financial advantage grows any larger.

I get the intial idea behind it, but in practice, all it does now is reward the clubs that already have the biggest advantage.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Does feel like it might be time to reconsider that rule. Especially if the EPL's financial advantage grows any larger.
Maybe, idk. Probably fair from a competitive perspective, but from a fan's perspective a huge portion of what makes the UCL fun and exciting is you're playing teams you don't play often. I see Chelsea play Liverpool at minimum twice a year. I like the guarantee that I'll see Chelsea play someone new if we make the R16.

Reactions: maclean

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Thats a big call by Potter one I dont think is right tbh.

I get the intial idea behind it, but in practice, all it does now is reward the clubs that already have the biggest advantage.
The game is up for fans of other leagues tbh. For the foreseeable future EPL has the upper hand in everything. It just has a better brand of football. Crazy to even suggest this a decade ago.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Maybe, idk. Probably fair from a competitive perspective, but from a fan's perspective a huge portion of what makes the UCL fun and exciting is you're playing teams you don't play often. I see Chelsea play Liverpool at minimum twice a year. I like the guarantee that I'll see Chelsea play someone new if we make the R16.
Honestly I’d rather get the PL vs PL stuff sorted out earlier than later. PL vs PL in the final/semis is worse

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I agree with this. It's an obsolete rule.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

And your whole point would be served by seeing the tram with the best odds to have a' easier draw is Juventus.
So yeah refrain next time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

On the flipside, this rule leads to a lot more repetition in CL match-ups...as well as the advantage it gives EPL teams limiting variety in later stages of the competition :dunno:

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The Qataris could figure out how to get FIFA to hand them a WC and move to the fall (while being the worst bid of all time) but can’t figure out how to get UEFA to stop rigging a draw against them.

Checks out.
And yet, the refs favored Madrid last year... while Perez is in a bitter power struggle with UEFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Power Man

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Auba has looked awful and demotivated.

This isn’t even a case of grass is greener elsewhere… he has a starting role here if he plays well.

But he has not played well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is the best Liverpool news all season and I will take it

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad