UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
So Liverpool making it to the finals make them better than PSG without question?
1) Winning a CL group doesn't mean the team is better.
2) Liverpool are a better team in European competitions until PSG prove otherwise. It's not like PSG added anyone significant to improve their squad that much either. Liverpool added Keita, Alisson and Fabinho Lol.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
1) Winning a CL group doesn't mean the team is better.
2) Liverpool are a better team in European competitions until PSG prove otherwise. It's not like PSG added anyone significant to improve their squad that much either. Liverpool added Keita, Alisson and Fabinho Lol.

1) Based on a 1 year sample size?
2) How can PSG add anyone signficant when they already have Neymar, Mbappe, Rabiot, Verratti, etc?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
1) Based on a 1 year sample size?
2) How can PSG add anyone signficant when they already have Neymar, Mbappe, Rabiot, Verratti, etc?
1) I'm not sure I quite follow what you're trying to get at...
2) They have a porous backline and subpar goalkeeping. They certainly could've improved there. They also have pretty flawed players like Bernat, Choupo-Moting, Alves, Kurzawa, Meunier, old man Diarra, etc that are gonna play big minutes. Their top end is good, but the rest of their roster is lacking behind the true elite teams in Europe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
1) I'm not sure I quite follow what you're trying to get at...
2) They have a porous backline and subpar goalkeeping. They certainly could've improved there. They also have pretty flawed players like Bernat, Choupo-Moting, Alves, Kurzawa, Meunier, old man Diarra, etc that are gonna play big minutes. Their top end is good, but the rest of their roster is lacking behind the true elite teams in Europe.
Seriously?
Porous backline? Subpar goalie?
WTF are you talking about?

Likely starting XI :

-----------Buffon/Areola----------
Marquinhos-Silva-Kimpembe
Alves-Verratti-Rabiot-ADM/Kurzawa
---------Neymar-----
-----Mbappe-Cavani----

Bench : Buffon/Areola, Kehrer, Meunier, Diarra, Bernat, Nsoki, Kurzawa/ADM, Draxler, Nkunku, etc...

So really, WTF are you talking about?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I could see their midfield and wingbacks being issues in the CL. Both Verratti and Rabiot shit the bed in Europe. Rabiot especially was pretty awful. No doubt they are lethal up front and have some solid cbs though.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I think it's more of question with formation. It's asking too much from Verratti and Rabiot, neither of whom are really defensive players, and Verratti has shown tendency to be almost too competitive and make a lot of unnecessary fouls and thus pick up up yellow cards.

Theoretically the 3 CB system should cover for that (and for offensive WB's as well), but from what I've seen it doesn't really seem to work. Marquinhos and Kimpembe are a bit too hesitant to push forward into defensive midfield positions and not creative enough to do some basic playmaking from deep. At the same time their timing to close down wide and spread out to wide areas seems suspect when WB's get caught up after a turnover.

Of course it's very early in the season and the system could work just fine come spring 2019.

Reactions: All Might

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's weird to say that, they have barely played 3-4-3 as of now because Verratti and Kurzawa have been injured.
So the sample size you've used to make your opinion has been particularly small (One game?)
Right now they are playing 4-2-3-1 with Rabiot/Marqui in midfield, ADM-Neymar-Mbappe and Cavani up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad