U18 World Championship Game Discussion

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
O'Brien took a lot of dumbass penalties this season for the Gophers and was a 4th liner. He rarely showed any speed. He was, however, the youngest player in the NCAAs this season so there is growth in all areas to be expected.

I know you know this...Kessel got a lot of flack for being below expectations with the Gophers and his stock took a hit...but when he joined the big club he seemed to do just fine. Only the very best 17 yos can come into college hockey and excel out of the gate. OBrien's stock is probably where it should be.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Nice game by the Russian 1990's. Filatov, Kugryshev, Loktionov, Kulikov, Chudinov with points.

Suprisingly, Maxim Mayorov didn't make the cut and is not participating.

according to the Russian posters he made the team and was on the final roster. Injured maybe?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think we're going to see just how overrated this guy really is. He's benefitted from playing in front of a team, the Guelph Storm, with a defense first approach and two elite defensemen in Ryan Parent and Drew Doughty. His numbers were impressive this season but his technical skills, in particular his movement and recovery skills, leave a lot to be desired. I think the US made a mistake leaving Brad Phillips behind because he's a better goalie than McCollum.

why did unice make the team over phillips??

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
yeah. he looked amazing on the highlights. looks very calm and has very quick legs.

To be fair, If Swedish forwards were a bit more accurate at finishing, and put the puck to the open net, Sateri wouldn't have a chance to save his team. However he was best player on the ice.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
I know you know this...Kessel got a lot of flack for being below expectations with the Gophers and his stock took a hit...but when he joined the big club he seemed to do just fine. Only the very best 17 yos can come into college hockey and excel out of the gate. OBrien's stock is probably where it should be.

I agree with you. Based on his age and the fact that he's already got a season under his belt he should be a 4 year NCAA player. He's obviously got a lot of skill based on his track record. If all forwards return next season (Okposo, Wheeler) it's gonna be tough for Jimmy to break past the 4th line considering the way the Rookie line played late in the season.

Young guy who's got some physical and mental growing to do...sky's the limit.

kostitsyn1489

Jun 18, 2006
Louiseville, Quebec
What's wrong with Sweden? They lost 6-3 to Slovakia. They went in SO against finland Wednesday. They allowed only 15 shots but Slovakia scored 6 times. Their goalie isnt great to see the least. Backlund got a goal today but the game was pretty much over already.

I think they have a pretty good team but they only got 2 points in 2 games... I dont think Slovakia is that good this year. I might be wrong tho.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
*** was that Team Sweden?:shakehead
3-6 to Slovaks? Outscoring em by 17 shots? Goalie had a bad day.

But we must remain optimistic. After all, we lost to Slovakia at both OG and WC, and then won the tournaments.:sarcasm:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Four assists for Adam Bezak of Slovakia against Sweden. Does anyone know much about him? Also three point games for Horvath and Daloga. Nice win for Slovakia.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Nice game by the Russian 1990's. Filatov, Kugryshev, Loktionov, Kulikov, Chudinov with points.

Suprisingly, Maxim Mayorov didn't make the cut and is not participating.

according to the Russian posters he made the team and was on the final roster. Injured maybe?

His agent said he was injured in a pre-tournament exhibition game against Switzerland. The dreaded upper-body injury. Sidelined three weeks which means he's out for the whole tournament. For more from the under-18, check out Bird Dog Blog on our website. Daily reports from tournament.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
His agent said he was injured in a pre-tournament exhibition game against Switzerland. The dreaded upper-body injury. Sidelined three weeks which means he's out for the whole tournament. For more from the under-18, check out Bird Dog Blog on our website. Daily reports from tournament.

Thanks ISS. This a bummer. He was one of the guys I was most curious to see because (A) of where the Leafs are drafting and (B) Russians are the hardest players to get good info about.

Kaktus*

Russians started period with a penalty 30 seconds in.

This will not fly against Canada.

Kaktus*

So far Cherepanov does not look as good as in WJC.. 4PM in two games. No points.

2:0 Russia in 1st

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad