U18: U18 WJC's Poprad & Spiska Nova Ves Slovakia April 13-23.2017.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Official discussion thread of 2017 U18 WJC's.

Group A
Canada
Latvia
Slovakia
Finland
Switzerland

Group B
Sweden
Czech Republic¨
USA
Belarus
Russia

Last year Finland won U18 WJC gold medal in Grand Forks.
Is Finland gold medal contender again or is USA or Canada winning gold this year.

How to follow U18 WJC's in Finland is YLE broadcasting all Finland's games live-coverage in YLE areena and YLE TV2 or is YLE again under TSN's mercy.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Would love to see Dahlin and Svechnikov at this tournament. Dahlin will be there if Frölunda lose tonight in game 7 vs Skellefteå, otherwise I can't see how it's possible for him to get there in time. And I think Muskegon is a pretty good team, so I guess there's a big risk Svechnikov will miss it too...?

Any other players to keep an eye on, except for the obvious potential '17 1st rounders?

As for TV, C More/TV12 will broadcast Sweden's games (finally).

Kristian Vesalainen and Joni Ikonen are both selected Finland's U18 WJC camp roster.
When Frölunda has released those two for Finland they'll do same for Dahlin.

If Frölunda's SHL team wants Dahlin playing in SHL playoffs then it's possible Dahlin will miss these U18 WJC's.
But that won't matter at all because 2000 born Dahlin is U18 WJC eligible next year as well.

By the way what are Sweden's chances to win a medal in U18 WJC's this year?.
Would be great to see Finland vs Sweden gold medal game again.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Would love to see Dahlin and Svechnikov at this tournament. Dahlin will be there if Frölunda lose tonight in game 7 vs Skellefteå, otherwise I can't see how it's possible for him to get there in time. And I think Muskegon is a pretty good team, so I guess there's a big risk Svechnikov will miss it too...?

Any other players to keep an eye on, except for the obvious potential '17 1st rounders?

If you want keep an eye on other interesting players who aren't ranked for 2017 NHL draft i recommend you to follow Jesperi Kotkaniemi.
He's 2000 born 188cm ( 6'2) tall center and he plays in Porin Ässät A juniors ( U20 team) Kotkaniemi is highly touted Finnish prospect for 2018 NHL draft.

Other interesting name is Juha Ylönen's son Jesse Ylönen who's also invited Finland's U18 WJC camp.
Ylönen is born 1999 but he's late birthday and that's why he's draft eligible 2018 NHL draft.

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Would love to see Dahlin and Svechnikov at this tournament. Dahlin will be there if Frölunda lose tonight in game 7 vs Skellefteå, otherwise I can't see how it's possible for him to get there in time.

Last semifinal game 6 is April 12, last game 7 is April 14. So there's definitely time to go to the U18 well in time for the games that matter even with an extended series.

Though if Frölunda wins tonight they are imo going to the finals.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Kravtsov led his team in scoring in the MHL playoffs and scored in the KHL playoffs, being 2018 draft player.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
The difference is that Dahlin is a regular nowadays. 7th D and PP2.

Ok, thanks. I've read about Kotkaniemi, didn't know he would play this year :)

I completely forgot that it's possible to join the tournament after its start :laugh: Puljujarvi did that last year, right?

Ok, do you think Denisenko/Khovanov will play, or do Russia hesitate to bring underage players?

That Kotkaniemi is Finland's camp roster not mean that he's locked for U18 WJC team.
If all goes well Finland has very good chances to get 7-9 players ( guys like Tolvanen,Heponiemi,Moilanen,Jokiharju,Nyman,Räsänen and Vesterinen) from North-America.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not a big surprise in my op, hasn't been playing that good lately.

That's probably why then. Still thought he would make it, the coaching staff seems to love him and he was one of very few pure goal scorers available.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
That group balance though.

Hopefully Lauko makes the Czech team as a 00'. Kvasnica, Gajarsky and Zabransky with an outside chance to make it imo.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Kristian Vesalainen and Joni Ikonen are both selected Finland's U18 WJC camp roster.
When Frölunda has released those two for Finland they'll do same for Dahlin.

If Frölunda's SHL team wants Dahlin playing in SHL playoffs then it's possible Dahlin will miss these U18 WJC's.
But that won't matter at all because 2000 born Dahlin is U18 WJC eligible next year as well.

By the way what are Sweden's chances to win a medal in U18 WJC's this year?.
Would be great to see Finland vs Sweden gold medal game again.

He could miss both this year and next.

This year sweden is the opposite to last years team. Last year the strength was in the forwards, but had a black hole i defense. This year the defense is if everyone comes, one of the stronger ever, but nothing special among forwards. I would guess semifinal.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He could miss both this year and next.

This year sweden is the opposite to last years team. Last year the strength was in the forwards, but had a black hole i defense. This year the defense is if everyone comes, one of the stronger ever, but nothing special among forwards. I would guess semifinal.

Is Roger Rönnberg promised ice-time for Dahlin in SHL playoffs?.
If / when that's the case how is possible Finland gets Vesalainen and Ikonen but Sweden won't get Dahlin?.

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
Is Roger Rönnberg promised ice-time for Dahlin in SHL playoffs?.
If / when that's the case how is possible Finland gets Vesalainen and Ikonen but Sweden won't get Dahlin?.

Dahlin plays in every playoff game right now. Played in 1st line today. 2nd powerplay. Play arount 9-10 minutes every game.

Vesalainen & Ikonen isn´t even in the lineup, thats why they let them leave.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Switzerland needs to be careful and tread lightly. Played the Austria U19 team and took overtime to take them 2-1. Our U19 group is a historically bad group, our U18 squad is a lot better, our U17 team with good U16s could probably come pretty close.

I know, they were missing Nico Hischier or Nando Eggenberger etc. Latvia's roster looks bad too, they're definitely still not Switzerland or close on paper. But they need to do a lot better, because there were a lot of legit players on the Swiss rosters who will be in the final roster.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Dahlin plays in every playoff game right now. Played in 1st line today. 2nd powerplay. Play arount 9-10 minutes every game.

Vesalainen & Ikonen isn´t even in the lineup, thats why they let them leave.

OK thanks for that information.
By the way why Ikonen didn't play Finland's team in Ivan Hlinka tournament last August was he injured or why Frölunda didn't release him?

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
OK thanks for that information.
By the way why Ikonen didn't play Finland's team in Ivan Hlinka tournament last August was he injured or why Frölunda didn't release him?

Ikonen didn't play anything with the senior team last season so he must have been injured..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USA roster was just announced. Ryan Poehling from St. Cloud State the only non-NTDPer. Farabee and Wahlstrom from the U17s also there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad