U18 Russian team

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Many posters were upset when the announcement of a permanent U18 team in the MHL was made, but they can't be unhappy with the way the team played in their first venture, just a couple of weeks after having been formed. This team fought hard every minute of every game, and never quit playing with fire. I will be anxious to see how they look next April in the World U18 tournament.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Impressed with the performance of the team at the Ivan Hlinka. Played very much a Soviet style, team over the individual. 90% of the goals were a product of a great passing play. Coach Prokhorov maybe has a point to prove. Some of the guys are rusty, but wait until April, after a full year of these guys playing together. Should be favorites for gold even without the NA guys, still some elite level guys like Popugayev, Rubstov, Yakovenko. They avenged Finland, lost to Canada in shootout. Very close to Gold here, but more importantly the style and level of play was where it should be. Overall happy with the outcome of Prokhorov and the U-18 project so far.

shows once again, how pathetic of a coach Rumyantsev is, and that any other decent coach can much-much better even without the best players.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
They will play through the whole season in the MHL. Also the idea is not new but borrowed from the US development system.

And, of course, the U.S. Development System was borrowed from the Soviet National team program.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This team is much shorter than I'm used to seeing from Russian teams.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
And, of course, the U.S. Development System was borrowed from the Soviet National team program.

It wasn't borrowed. Parts of it were implemented basically in other areas. There wasn't a junior national team playing in a junior league in the soviet system.

I basicall don't understand anyway why people get obessed with the discussion who borrowed what when and where. What's wrong with borrowing something that works?

The idea of a U18 team in the MHL seams good for now. Let's wait and see how it works out IRL.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Meanwhile Prokhorov has mentioned that Abramov and Sergachyov might play at U18 WJC. I guess Sergachyov is extremely unlikely though, as OHL play-offs are rather late and I don't expect Windsor to be kicked out at the early rounds.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

I think it kinda reflects poorly on the strenght of the league. Although U18 team is very young and it doesn't even have all the best talent on its roster, so being the best team in U20 league is surprising.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think it kinda reflects poorly on the strenght of the league. Although U18 team is very young and it doesn't even have all the best talent on its roster, so being the best team in U20 league is surprising.

The US u17s struggle a little while the u18s dominate in the USHL, though most of the top u20 Americans aren't in the USHL like in the MHL .I think it should be expected that an u18 team with most of the top players in the nation dominate, though Russia is missing quite a few with Sokolov, Abramov, Popugaev and Kuznetsov all gone.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
U18 didn't do too good at the start of the season, it's a pleasant surprise for me that they have been able to make such a progress. Only a week till the Challenge cup, let's see what they can do there.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

The US u17s struggle a little while the u18s dominate in the USHL, though most of the top u20 Americans aren't in the USHL like in the MHL .I think it should be expected that an u18 team with most of the top players in the nation dominate, though Russia is missing quite a few with Sokolov, Abramov, Popugaev and Kuznetsov all gone.

Yeah, the US U18 dominates the USHL. After looking at league stats, I also think a hypothetical Canadian U18 would be among the best CHL teams.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, the US U18 dominates the USHL. After looking at league stats, I also think a hypothetical Canadian U18 would be among the best CHL teams.

An all OHL u-18 team would do really well in the OHL and likely dominate. An all Canadian u-18 team would easily dominate the league without question. Just for last year in the OHL, the u-18s would feature McDavid, Strome and Marner. No way the 3rd and 4th lines in the OHL teams full of physically immature 16 year olds and older players with 0 zero hands and hockey sense could match up with their depth. I don't know how it is in Russia but one should expect dominance from a u-18 national team playing in a in a junior league.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Its hard to have a strong league when anyone of any worth is already gone to Canada. It shouldn't surprise anyone if the KHL decides that the MHL is not fulfilling its intended mission of developing good players to move on to the professional league, and abandons financial support for the league in the next few years. With no KHL money, the MHL will go away quickly!

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Roster for World Junior A Challenge:

G
Mikhail Berdin
Vladislav Sukhachyov

D
Radik Akhmetgaliyev
Dmitriy Alexeyev
Vasiliy Belyayev
Nikita Gromov
Ilya Karpukhin
Nikita Makeyev
Pavel Ryzhenkov
Alexander Yakovenko

FW
Ilya Avramenko
Maxim Bain
Georgiy Ivanov
Artyom Ivanyuzhenkov
Artur Kayumov
Ivan Kosorenkov
Nikolay Kovalenko
Mikhail Maltsev
Mikhail Meshcheryakov
German Rubtsov
Vyacheslav Shevchenko
Kirill Slepets

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
That's why new khl president is heavily favoring major khl clubs to support mhl. Going back to the old system while taking the good things from mhl. But it doesnt matter what you call the league if kids hockey is relaesing poor graduates, it will always be behinds Na. If russia released good educated players from school chl and na legues wouldn't have enough spots for all the good players. Problem lies there

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But it doesnt matter what you call the league if kids hockey is relaesing poor graduates

Who says that? Where are all those kids on the U16-20 teams coming from, Mars?

, it will always be behinds Na.

Are we? Look up the recent record.

If russia released good educated players from school chl and na legues wouldn't have enough spots for all the good players. Problem lies there

What is this absurd love for NA hockey system? How is CHL and NA leagues in this sentence? Nobody cares if there are spots in NA for russian players. Inability to see that is the problem.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This will cause more kids to pull a Korostelev and leave at 13/14.

Fine. The rest will develop at home for the betterment of the national team. Besides look at Korostelev now - he sucks.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Time to ban juniors from leaving for the CHL, IMO.

Part of me says that I wish there were a way, but banning free movement would be overly restrictive and take away their right to seek a job wherever they wish.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Fine. The rest will develop at home for the betterment of the national team. Besides look at Korostelev now - he sucks.

In fact, all the players who are great in the NHL - Ovechkin, Malkin, Tarasenko, and so on, developed in Russia, while the high profile players that have migrated to the CHL (Yakupov, Grigorenko,) have failed to reach expected potential. I can't think of anyone who has come to the CHL from Russia who has clearly benefitted from it, but many who have fallen off the face of the Earth, so to speak!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad