U18 Draft

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Maybe there is a handful, but out of how many drafted?

How many from each draft have played 10+ OHL games in their career:
2017: 6/96
2018: 5/53
2019: 3/54
for a total of 14/203 (6.9.%)

There's only been 2 players in the history of the 3 year draft who have more than 10 goals in their OHL career (Kaleb Pearson and Daniel D'Amato) and and only 1 player in the history of the draft who's over half a point per game (Kaleb Pearson)

KGN/NIA/OSH/SAG/SSM have never had a player they drafted in the U18 draft play a game for them

LDN has 1 total game played and WSR/GUE have 2 games each.

So 40% of the league COMBINED has 5 games played total from the 3 years of this draft

Reactions: jjhound

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Weeks was drafted #1 and played last year as back up Goalie in Sudbury.

Kaleb Pearson (2000) 80 pts in 128 games
Daniel D'Amato (2001) 47 pts in 126 games

Reactions: LDN

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
It's an interesting strategy because they get to play together which is good but that league is a joke in terms of talent. I don't see how that can get anyone ready to jump to the OHL. Most of that league is guys who realize they're done with competitive hockey and are just there for fun now for one last season before hanging it up. There are about 5 teams in the whole province who are good. More than half the OHL teams don't even have a major midget scout this season

How many teams employ more than 8 scouts as it is? Regional Scouts work 3 leagues. Bantam-Midget. Primary focus is the current draft.

You catch bantam games for eyes on who’s coming up, watch development into minor midget. Midget hockey is full of guys your one scout has watched for a year or two already. Why employ another scout to rewatch the hockey the OHL has already picked apart? There’s some kids who don’t get drafted, but I know from watching Minor Midget last year of a handful of kids I’d draft already in the u18. Plenty of time to get out and watch u18 hockey when u16 isn’t going.

not to mention, these guys aren’t done with hockey. They take it quite seriously and a lot are aware it doesn’t mean the dream is done. Just because it’s not full of great talent anymore doesn’t mean the players are just there for fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I wouldn't put Moncada in the "tiny" category.....he is 5'9 which is admittedly smallish for a goalie but he is also super athletic, flexible and great compete level

Very solid goalie.....to bad he wasn't 3 or 4 inches taller

Reactions: hockeynorth

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
How many teams employ more than 8 scouts as it is? Regional Scouts work 3 leagues. Bantam-Midget. Primary focus is the current draft.

You catch bantam games for eyes on who’s coming up, watch development into minor midget. Midget hockey is full of guys your one scout has watched for a year or two already. Why employ another scout to rewatch the hockey the OHL has already picked apart? There’s some kids who don’t get drafted, but I know from watching Minor Midget last year of a handful of kids I’d draft already in the u18. Plenty of time to get out and watch u18 hockey when u16 isn’t going.

not to mention, these guys aren’t done with hockey. They take it quite seriously and a lot are aware it doesn’t mean the dream is done. Just because it’s not full of great talent anymore doesn’t mean the players are just there for fun.
These kids can all be invited as free agents to OHL camps.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
How many from each draft have played 10+ OHL games in their career:
2017: 6/96
2018: 5/53
2019: 3/54
for a total of 14/203 (6.9.%)

There's only been 2 players in the history of the 3 year draft who have more than 10 goals in their OHL career (Kaleb Pearson and Daniel D'Amato) and and only 1 player in the history of the draft who's over half a point per game (Kaleb Pearson)

KGN/NIA/OSH/SAG/SSM have never had a player they drafted in the U18 draft play a game for them

LDN has 1 total game played and WSR/GUE have 2 games each.

So 40% of the league COMBINED has 5 games played total from the 3 years of this draft
Wasn’t Joe Rupoli U18 pick? He played games for the Gens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad