U18 Draft

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anyone exciting for this this year? Last year's draft had some strong players, it'll be interesting to see who else gets taken.

Personally, I'm watching for even more guys off that Sudbury 03 team that had so many guys get picked from to get picked such as Marois and Dumont.

I think too many people brush this off still, but after a couple seasons it'll be fun to see if it starts to get more and more useful.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
This draft is such a waste of time. I would prefer them change the priority selection back to the way they used to have it - only allow 16 year olds to be drafted in the first couple rounds. Other than that, you have to be 17. Would make major midget so much more relevant, and why are we drafting all these players so early when most have no chance of playing in the OHL their first year?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
For U18 draft I expect the Major midget Petes to be a popular target... #1 ranked team in all of Canada last year. Guys like Will Everson, Lucas Lapalm, Ayden Bulmer would all make great selections.

Reactions: hockeynorth

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
For U18 draft I expect the Major midget Petes to be a popular target... #1 ranked team in all of Canada last year. Guys like Will Everson, Lucas Lapalm, Ayden Bulmer would all make great selections.

I like that the Petes bring as many of their priority selection picks over to play major midget. it definitely doesn’t hurt to have all of their guys grow together from day 1 and see what works/what doesn’t

Reactions: dirty12

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I don’t think this draft is *as big* of a joke that it’s made out to be. it would be a lot better if there were less than 15 rounds in the priority selection and there was a better talent pool.

right now it is just a lazy way of filling 3 development/training camp spots. all the guys picked would likely have camp offers from multiple teams and would have a choice of which camp they want to go to, now they have it chosen for them and the odd player sticks with a team.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The U18 draft really is a gamble draft yes every so often you'll get one or two guys out of it that missed the priority selection the year before for a multiple of reasons. Maybe the guy was hurt or played on a team with less talented players or whatever the case may be.

Having said that its here to help those kids who may or may not be as talented get a crack at an OHL franchise where in years before then they would've been passed over and forgotten about. Take the Attack for example Kaleb Pearson, Griffin Wilson and Logan Le Sage were all U18 picks in this league. To say its lazy is to say why dosen't the league even bother with a 15 round priority selection draft if you were to go off that principle then shouldn't the league shorten the draft to 5 rounds cause that's the top-100 kids at 15yo.

I'm not saying I'm overly fond of the U18 draft but it is a part of the OHL now like it or hate it it's apart of the game and the league and now.

Whether these kids are 15 or 17 if they are talented enough to play in league they will play at this level and they bring something to the team's they're drafted too it doesn't matter what process they come through they'll play in the league.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I like that the Petes bring as many of their priority selection picks over to play major midget. it definitely doesn’t hurt to have all of their guys grow together from day 1 and see what works/what doesn’t

It's an interesting strategy because they get to play together which is good but that league is a joke in terms of talent. I don't see how that can get anyone ready to jump to the OHL. Most of that league is guys who realize they're done with competitive hockey and are just there for fun now for one last season before hanging it up. There are about 5 teams in the whole province who are good. More than half the OHL teams don't even have a major midget scout this season

Reactions: Petes1

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It's an interesting strategy because they get to play together which is good but that league is a joke in terms of talent. I don't see how that can get anyone ready to jump to the OHL. Most of that league is guys who realize they're done with competitive hockey and are just there for fun now for one last season before hanging it up. There are about 5 teams in the whole province who are good. More than half the OHL teams don't even have a major midget scout this season
lol yes it is for sure a flawed strategy because they have the best available players from Peterborough and all of the Petes draft picks so the team has essentially no competition until Telus Cup regionals which isn't even happening anymore.

the efforts there though on the Petes part, I think it is more so a plan to prepare the guys off the ice (new city, school, billets, etc). I assume they get a decent amount of practice time in with the big club, some of them even got in games, (or AP'd with OJHL teams)

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Always see people complain about this draft, but as a wolves fan I've become a pretty big fan of it.
Most teams invite these players as free agents to their camps. I think being a quality free agent would give you better opportunities if multiple teams like you to choose a destination that suits you best. If you are drafted, you have no other options (OHL options).

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
How many players have been drafted in the U-18 and made it to a top 6 forward, top 4 defensemen, or #1 goalie? Just wondering?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How many players have been drafted in the U-18 and made it to a top 6 forward, top 4 defensemen, or #1 goalie? Just wondering?

Youre never going to get those kind of guys in this draft. If you can get a good 4th line forward or a reliable bottom pair dman, then you've done well.

Daniel D'amto
Dustin Hutton
Dakota Betts
Victor Hadfield

These are the best case scenarios.

Reactions: OttersFan and NOA

MitchBetts91

Jul 4, 2019
Are Jr. B or Jr. C teams looked at? I know there are few players on the Elmira Sugar Kings who would be worth taking a look at.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From OHL site prior to last year's draft:

Players Eligible for Selection:
All Midget players not currently on a CHL Member Team Protected List who were carded with a Midget AAA Hockey Club within the OHF, HNO, or HEO in the 2018-19 playing season are eligible for selection in the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection.
Once selected, players will be added to a separately designated Under-18 Priority Selection protected list, distinct from the 50-man protected list for players selected in the OHL Priority Selection or committing to OHL member teams as free agents.

Reactions: AttackSound

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Youre never going to get those kind of guys in this draft. If you can get a good 4th line forward or a reliable bottom pair dman, then you've done well.

Daniel D'amto
Dustin Hutton
Dakota Betts
Victor Hadfield

These are the best case scenarios.
Kaleb Pearson

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Serensits is a top 4 D for the wolves, likely OA candidate.
It went from 5 rounds down to three, and some teams passed in the third round. I think that tells you something. There is a push to keep major midget hockey relevant. I think it is without needing the draft.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
You can only pick in the 3rd round if you pick a goalie in either of the 1st 2 rounds. If teams have not picked a goalie they have to pass in the 3rd round.
So there is a desire to encourage teams to draft the goalies? That is a sign the draft is struggling . Plus it was 5 rounds originally.

Reactions: EvenSteven

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Strictly numbers watching here just want that to be clear:

Tanner Dietz, 51pts in 35 games - Huron Perth Lake Midget AAA (Alliance)
Joshua Cini, 24 pts in 29 games - Toronto Junior Canadiens AAA, surprise undrafted last year
Samuel Moncada, Prospect Pipeline high on him, but tiny goalie
Amadeus Lombardi - 37 pts in 33 games for Toronto Titans AAA, 5'8"
Jack Budd - 19 in 32, 6'1" defenceman, Toronto Red wings
Like Jake Marois and Teegan Dumont out of Sudbury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad