U18: U18 day 5!

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Considering they came in with 1-17 and 4-17 GF-GA, respectively. They were probably trying and not succeeding.
Those games were involving teams above their level. The two teams combined for seven shots in the first period. You have to try really hard to not get more than five shots on goal, when the other team only has two.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Confused as to how the groups got so imbalanced. I guess it goes back to Slovakia getting relegated in 2019, then 2020 being cancelled at all levels, then 2021 being cancelled at all divisions lower than the top division, and then 2022 being a double promotion/no relegation since two top divisions teams were banned. So it's all been a bit complicated and the eco-system needs to adjust itself back to normal. Poor Slovakia had to wait 4 years to get back in the top division due to one hiccup back in 2019

Interesting how Belarus was doing relatively well before their ban. They were last in anything but the Top Division in 2016 and made the Quarters in 2018, 2019 and 2021 (with 2020 not having a tournament). Wonder if it was the effects of KHL/Minsk trickling down. They'd still get popped badly any time they played Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden but were definitely playing better against lower tiers of teams than they had previously (they failed to earn top division promotion 2011-2015 and hadn't made a Quarterfinals previously since 2003).

Those games were involving teams above their level. The two teams combined for seven shots in the first period. You have to try really hard to not get more than five shots on goal, when the other team only has two.
Didn't watch, but were both teams playing a trap? That'll do it.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Confused as to how the groups got so imbalanced. I guess it goes back to Slovakia getting relegated in 2019, then 2020 being cancelled at all levels, then 2021 being cancelled at all divisions lower than the top division, and then 2022 being a double promotion/no relegation since two top divisions teams were banned. So it's all been a bit complicated and the eco-system needs to adjust itself back to normal. Poor Slovakia had to wait 4 years to get back in the top division due to one hiccup back in 2019

Interesting how Belarus was doing relatively well before their ban. They were last in anything but the Top Division in 2016 and made the Quarters in 2018, 2019 and 2021 (with 2020 not having a tournament). Wonder if it was the effects of KHL/Minsk trickling down. They'd still get popped badly any time they played Canada/USA/Russia/Sweden but were definitely playing better against lower tiers of teams than they had previously (they failed to earn top division promotion 2011-2015 and hadn't made a Quarterfinals previously since 2003).

Didn't watch, but were both teams playing a trap? That'll do it.

Yeah, good observation. Eco system should adjust after this year.

Also, I'm absolutely loving this year's U18. Might have a lot to do with the fact that I probably wouldn't watch this tourney if Slovakia wasn't playing and they finally are so I'm finally watching, but still, great tourney so far.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
So we (Czechs) are playing the US, which this team has no chance against. The team must really be regretting putting on such a clownish performance in the OT loss against Slovakia. I fully expected Slovakia to beat Germany but had some hope when the Germans were 4-2 up… Aw well, never mind. Another QF exit then.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So we (Czechs) are playing the US, which this team has no chance against. The team must really be regretting putting on such a clownish performance in the OT loss against Slovakia. I fully expected Slovakia to beat Germany but had some hope when the Germans were 4-2 up… Aw well, never mind. Another QF exit then.
USA is very good but also bipolar. Czechs are good and do have a chance.

I would rank the top 5 teams in the tournament:

1: Canada
2: Czechia
3: USA
4: Finland
5: Slovakia

Reactions: Goodman68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad