OT: U.S. Olympic hockey roster talk

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I think it's a testament to the growth of American hockey that we're to the point where leaving players like Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle off the roster is even an option.

I agree. They were looking for specific types of players to play certain roles. Kane and Kessel were the top 6 RW's and they felt other guys were better for the roles they wanted them to play. Too many LHD made Yandle expendable. They want a team not an all star team of too many skill guys. Have to look at who they have to play and they need guys who can shutdown Canada and Russia and still have an offensive upside. It will all come down to goaltending though with Miller and Quick. I doubt Howard ever plays a game so whoever the 3rd goalie was didn't really matter.

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
A bit OT: I'm not a big fan of the new team USA sweaters. I really liked the 2010 version. (And before anyone offers, no, I don't want a 2010 Suter's jersey. If anyones my first choice would be Miller's sweater.:))
The new sweaters just seem kind of ...not sure what word to describe. I don't like the look of fake laces and stars. However, I may change my opinion once I see them on ice but from the photos I've seen they weren't really that impressive.

sp-olympichockey_021377623291_image_982w.jpg

olympiccelebrationusa.jpg

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Editor's note: For the past four months, Scott Burnside was one of only two writers in the country who had unprecedented, behind-the-scenes access to the building of the U.S. hockey team bound for the Sochi Winter Olympics. Here is how the squad was named:
I am aware of that. There's a reason no one else has allowed that access... personal views of players (especially negative) by GMs is not something to take public.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
oh blow it out your ear.

we could have traded for Ovechkin and Suter stlll would have handed over his genitals to his wife and moved "home"…. all the while lying through his teeth to Poile
In your opinion, In your guess.

Suter never lied in my eyes. He said he wanted to see roster improvements-- we got Gill and Guasta. He said he wanted to see what was out there in free agency but was still considering Nashville.

In my opinion, Poile/mgmt just didn't sell him enough. Frist, the way they handled Weber's arbitration the season before was noted by every star player in the NHL. 2nd, the complete lack of ability to find long-term solutions on offense over many years was an obvious concern for Suter & Weber.

He blatantly was showing hesitations to sign here. He should have been traded the second he didn't want to sign an extension. We could've gotten serious piece(s).

I'll boo Poile before booing Suter.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
No matter who the brain trust selected the big issue is the need for the players to gel immediately with minimal practice. 13 returning players from 2010 ... a fairly solid core ... versatility trumping one dimensional play ... now to see if they can put it together for a two week span.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
In your opinion, In your guess.

Suter never lied in my eyes. He said he wanted to see roster improvements-- we got Gill and Guasta. He said he wanted to see what was out there in free agency but was still considering Nashville.

In my opinion, Poile/mgmt just didn't sell him enough. Frist, the way they handled Weber's arbitration the season before was noted by every star player in the NHL. 2nd, the complete lack of ability to find long-term solutions on offense over many years was an obvious concern for Suter & Weber.

He blatantly was showing hesitations to sign here. He should have been traded the second he didn't want to sign an extension. We could've gotten serious piece(s).

I'll boo Poile before booing Suter.

I do agree with you for the most part, but what do you think we would have gotten for 1 year of Suter? IMO the return would not be worth neutering our team during a playoff, "go for it" year. 1 year players typically don't return great assets.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
A bit OT: I'm not a big fan of the new team USA sweaters. I really liked the 2010 version. (And before anyone offers, no, I don't want a 2010 Suter's jersey. If anyones my first choice would be Miller's sweater.:))
The new sweaters just seem kind of ...not sure what word to describe. I don't like the look of fake laces and stars. However, I may change my opinion once I see them on ice but from the photos I've seen they weren't really that impressive.

sp-olympichockey_021377623291_image_982w.jpg

olympiccelebrationusa.jpg

I agree, I liked the 2010 jerseys. They were simple clean and dramatic. These jerseys seem to have too many competing elements on them. And I don't know what the small usa medallion like thing in the middle is supposed to represent.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I do agree with you for the most part, but what do you think we would have gotten for 1 year of Suter? IMO the return would not be worth neutering our team during a playoff, "go for it" year. 1 year players typically don't return great assets.
There are very little comparables for 1 year remaining elite 26 year olds, since that UFA age hasn't been around long and very few elite players actually become available at that age.

Jordan Staal got 2 great prospects and 1 good prospect, and I don't consider Jordan Staal to be elite.

Given the massive bidding war Detroit, Philly, Minnesota, etc had over Suter I think the return would have been substantial. All would've had high hopes to resign him as well.

I don't think you have to neuter your team either. Heck, Brandon Suter is scoring at a similar clip as Jordan Staal right now with less ice time. And Pittsburgh was certainly going for it when the traded Staal. Also if it's done in the offseason, you can soften the blow further with other free agent signings.

Bottom line is you have to look at the long-term well being of the franchise. I don't think Poile did that here, at all. He had a naive and overly optimistic views of the ways things would work out. Same with Hamhuis-- He kept saying the season before he had hoped to resign him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
There are very little comparables for 1 year remaining elite 26 year olds, since that UFA age hasn't been around long and very few elite players actually become available at that age.

Jordan Staal got 2 great prospects and 1 good prospect, and I don't consider Jordan Staal to be elite.

Given the massive bidding war Detroit, Philly, Minnesota, etc had over Suter I think the return would have been substantial. All would've had high hopes to resign him as well.

I don't think you have to neuter your team either. Heck, Brandon Suter is scoring at a similar clip as Jordan Staal right now with less ice time. And Pittsburgh was certainly going for it when the traded Staal. Also if it's done in the offseason, you can soften the blow further with other free agent signings.

Bottom line is you have to look at the long-term well being of the franchise. I don't think Poile did that here, at all. He had a naive and overly optimistic views of the ways things would work out. Same with Hamhuis-- He kept saying the season before he had hoped to resign him.

Staal's not really a good comparable. Not as elite as Suter, but still a young 2nd line center that was going to be an RFA and was almost certain to sign an extension, owing to the presence of his brother. Either way, Carolina knows they have an asset that will either be with them for the next several seasons, or that they would have the ability to trade elsewhere if a long-term deal couldn't be reached.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

At the time of what happened with Hamhuis and Suter I was fine with what Poile did. However, in retrospect, I think he screwed the pooch in a big way. At the time I thought paying Hamhuis the money that Vancouver did was a bad move if wanted to keep him. Most of us did. He was a second pairing guy and that's too much money to spend on that type of player. Here's the thing though, if Poile was smarter, he would've negotiated with Suter before Hamhuis hit free agency. If he didn't want to ink an extension with us, fine, re-sign Hamhuis for the money he got from Vancouver or even a little more for that matter, pair him with Weber and call it a day. He's been pretty good in Vancouver from all the reports I've read. Once Suter decided he didn't want to be here, trade him for some major pieces that would've filled some voids that we've had for years up front. I'm sure Anaheim would've traded for him and we could've had Bobby Ryan. There are other guys I'm sure we could've gone after in trades as well. We would have Weber, Hamhuis, Josi and Klein on the back end as our top 4 plus anyone we would've landed in the Suter trade. Even if it was just Bobby Ryan, I'd say that top 4 with the addition of Ryan would've made us a whole more competitive than we are right now. It would've given us a true top 3 forward and just maybe we add more pieces via free agency because we have a solid top 4, a top 3 goalie in the world and our forward corps are looking a lot more attractive. Instead we have lost two great assets in Suter and Hamhuis and gotten nothing for them in return.

At some point you have to maximize your assets AND compete season to season. I still think we would've made the playoffs without Suter and having Hamhuis and the forward upgrade from the Suter trade in addition to possibly still having picks from trades we might not have made or we might have gone farther with the pieces we added. Maybe Rads comes back sooner. Maybe we never get him back. Maybe we just add AK and he isn't a distraction. Lots of possibilities that never played out obviously but to lose player after player of that quality and have nothing to show for it is mismanagement and like I said, at the time, I get why Poile did what he did and I supported the moves but after seeing the turn this team has taken, I just shake my head and go, someone screwed up here. And as you pointed out, look what Shero did with Staal. Not a bad return at all. If you have elite talent, you either have to keep it or maximize it.

Poile knew in November of Suter's final season that he agreed to a contract but he never inked it. When he didn't put his name on the dotted line, he should've been traded. Unless we were locks to win the Cup, which no one ever is, he should've been traded. We can't keep developing players and then losing them to other teams. The fan base won't tolerate it and we'll never get to the next level because of it.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Anyone seen any schedules of when the hockey is going to be for the Olympics? Or tv coverage? Or live or all tape delay?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Anyone seen any schedules of when the hockey is going to be for the Olympics? Or tv coverage? Or live or all tape delay?

NBCSN

All Times Eastern

Thurs., Feb. 13 7:30 a.m. Slovakia vs. Team USA
Sat., Feb. 15 7:30 a.m. Team USA vs. Russia
Sun., Feb. 16 7:30 a.m. Slovenia vs. Team USA

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
NBCSN

All Times Eastern

Thurs., Feb. 13 7:30 a.m. Slovakia vs. Team USA
Sat., Feb. 15 7:30 a.m. Team USA vs. Russia
Sun., Feb. 16 7:30 a.m. Slovenia vs. Team USA

The downside of the Olympics being in another part of the world,having to get up early or stay up late to see events. First 3 games look very winnable for Team USA with the Russians obviously providing the biggest challenge.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
The downside of the Olympics being in another part of the world,having to get up early or stay up late to see events. First 3 games look very winnable for Team USA with the Russians obviously providing the biggest challenge.

I prefer early morning. At least the game against Russia is on Saturday.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I agree, I liked the 2010 jerseys. They were simple clean and dramatic. These jerseys seem to have too many competing elements on them. And I don't know what the small usa medallion like thing in the middle is supposed to represent.

It's the official shield of the United States. Or a reasonable facsimile.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The only good thing about the jersey is that we've done well with the shield on the sweater. Silver in 1932 ... gold in 1960 when it was on the left breast. Nike's abortions this year are painful to see ... ours, the Russians', Canada's ... argh.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The only good thing about the jersey is that we've done well with the shield on the sweater. Silver in 1932 ... gold in 1960 when it was on the left breast. Nike's abortions this year are painful to see ... ours, the Russians', Canada's ... argh.

Does anybody like their sports clothes? Most people who have met Phil Knight describe him in terms that I can't use in this forum. I think the products reflect him.

The 2010 Jerseys look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes