OT: U.S. Olympic hockey roster talk

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
So with USA hockey announcing it's roster for the 2014 winter Olympics tomorrow after the Winter Classic I thought it would be fun to see what we all could come up with and see if anyone actually gets close to the actuall roster.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
The goalies were leaked yesterday, Miller, Quick and Howard. Would have liked to have seen Bishop instead but apparently he had a poor showing at worlds this summer.

In the world jr section there are a couple of possible line ups from beat writers. Interesting choices and you can see Poile's mark. Two way forwards, strong d and maybe good goaltending. There is speculation that Bobby Ryan may be left off the squad which would be stupid. IMHO.

We will see tomorrow.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The goalies were leaked yesterday, Miller, Quick and Howard. Would have liked to have seen Bishop instead but apparently he had a poor showing at worlds this summer.

In the world jr section there are a couple of possible line ups from beat writers. Interesting choices and you can see Poile's mark. Two way forwards, strong d and maybe good goaltending. There is speculation that Bobby Ryan may be left off the squad which would be stupid. IMHO.

We will see tomorrow.

Actually the reason Ben Bishop wasn't taken was because he hasn't had a whole lot of work since the last Olympics ... 68 NHL Games since the last Olympics to date ? (that isn't going to cut it)

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA

We will see tomorrow.

Isn't Howard pretty banged up? Bishop is having a phenomonal year but if Quick is healthy i'd probably give him the starting job to begin with considering he's got some big game experience being a Stanley Cup winner.

That would be a terrible mistake. You need your sharpshooters like Kane and Kessel and I agree leaving Bobby Ryan off would be a the ultimate in Poile idiocy.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
The roster I think is going to Sochi:

(not actual lines, just me jotting names)
Centers:
Backes
Pavelski
Kesler
Stastny
Dubinsky

Wings:
Kessel
Parise
Kane
Callahan
Brown
Ryan
Oshie
Galchenyuk
JVR

Dmen:
Suter
Martin
Shattenkirk
Orpik
Faulk
Yandle
Fowler
Jones

Goalies
Miller
Quick
Howard (although I would take Bishop)

I think Galchenyuk and Jones will both go and not play btw. strictly for the Olympic experience down the road

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Not at all a fan of Howard going, but I doubt he'll see the ice anyways. I know he has had a rougher year, but after last year's (should have been IMO Vezina) campaign, Craig Anderson would have been a better option

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
The roster I think is going to Sochi:

(not actual lines, just me jotting names)
Centers:
Backes
Pavelski
Kesler
Stastny
Dubinsky

Wings:
Kessel
Parise
Kane
Callahan
Brown
Ryan
Oshie
Galchenyuk
JVR

Dmen:
Suter
Martin
Shattenkirk
Orpik
Faulk
Yandle
Fowler
Jones

Goalies
Miller
Quick
Howard (although I would take Bishop)

I think Galchenyuk and Jones will both go and not play btw. strictly for the Olympic experience down the road

You're probably pretty close, you think defensemen like Erik Johnson and Zach Bogosian get passed on?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
From what I've heard, Erik Johnson is pretty much a lock, and Jack Johnson is rumored to be there as well.

Buzz around Twitter this morning is that Blake Wheeler is in, Bobby Ryan is out. A lot of "Poile?" headscratching around the country, though we could have told them not to be surprised by this sort of move.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
It is interesting, but I can't believe Poile would allow a writer access to these meetings.

We now hear Poile publicly questioning various all-star players' ability-- good luck on getting them or their friends to ever consider Nashville. These are things to should be left behind closed doors.

The real question is why is Poile even GM?

Dean Lombardi has won as many playoff rounds in the past 2 years as Poile has in 30. And Poile is the one assembling a clutch roster? Riiight...

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
People need to get over their Suter hatred. He said he wanted to see roster improvements before singing a long term deal and Poile responds (way to late) by trading 1st and 2nd rd picks for Gill and Gaustad and subsequently giving them $20 million. I don't think that's what Suter (and Weber) were envisioning.

Suter said he wanted to look at what's out there in FA and that's what he did. As much as I dislike the Wild (Leipold), you can't hardly blame the guy for wanting to play with semi-talented forwards.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
It is interesting, but I can't believe Poile would allow a writer access to these meetings.

We now hear Poile publicly questioning various all-star players' ability-- good luck on getting them or their friends to ever consider Nashville. These are things to should be left behind closed doors.

Dean Lombardi has won as many playoff rounds in the past 2 years as Poile has in 30. And Poile is the one assembling a clutch roster? Riiight...

He was questioning their abilities on the larger international ice, not in general. Leaving Ryan off is a head shaker. Not thrilled with Orpik either. I can see that they are trying to build a team that will limit time and space for the skill forwards on Canada and Russia. Still, think Ryan and possibly Yandle would have given us more fire power.

At the end of the day, these are our guys and they deserve our support.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
He was questioning their abilities on the larger international ice, not in general. Leaving Ryan off is a head shaker. Not thrilled with Orpik either. I can see that they are trying to build a team that will limit time and space for the skill forwards on Canada and Russia. Still, think Ryan and possibly Yandle would have given us more fire power.

At the end of the day, these are our guys and they deserve our support.

agreed.

Anyone want to buy a Suter olympic jersey from the last olympics?:)

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
My line guesses for Team USA

Parise (C) - Kesler - Kane
van Riemsdyk - Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty -Statsny - Wheeler
Brown (A) - Backes - Oshie
Stepan/Callahan

Suter (A) - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Martin - Faulk
Fowler/Orpik

Quick
Miller
Howard

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Great, if meandering, article. Provides a lot of great insight not only into Poile's thoughts, but love hearing the opinions of Burke, Tallon, Lombardi, etc... on some of these players. Don't really have a problem with the two biggest omissions, Yandle and Ryan, as I can see some pretty justifiable reasoning to have left them off, despite their obvious talent. I'd rather not have Howard as the third goalie, but if it comes to him, US is probably doomed anyway.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
My line guesses for Team USA

Parise (C) - Kesler - Kane
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kessel
JVR -Statsny/Stepan - Callahan
Brown (A) - Backes - Oshie
Stepan/Wheeler

Suter (A) - Martin
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Fowler - Faulk
Carlson/Orpik

Quick
Miller
Howard

This is my best guess, since they seem determined to have martin play on the right side next to Suter. Not having JJ, Ryan, and Yandle are pretty eyebrow raising for me though. If we win gold, I will never criticize Poile ever again

We certainly have 2 shut down lines. That bottom line will give certain teams head aches.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
People need to get over their Suter hatred. He said he wanted to see roster improvements before singing a long term deal and Poile responds (way to late) by trading 1st and 2nd rd picks for Gill and Gaustad and subsequently giving them $20 million. I don't think that's what Suter (and Weber) were envisioning.

Suter said he wanted to look at what's out there in FA and that's what he did. As much as I dislike the Wild (Leipold), you can't hardly blame the guy for wanting to play with semi-talented forwards.

oh blow it out your ear.

we could have traded for Ovechkin and Suter stlll would have handed over his genitals to his wife and moved "home"…. all the while lying through his teeth to Poile

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I think it's a testament to the growth of American hockey that we're to the point where leaving players like Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle off the roster is even an option.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Editor's note: For the past four months, Scott Burnside was one of only two writers in the country who had unprecedented, behind-the-scenes access to the building of the U.S. hockey team bound for the Sochi Winter Olympics. Here is how the squad was named:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00