U of A Bears in CIS final

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Can't believe how ignored this team is, by the media, by everybody. And yet they just continue to excel year after year.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Can't believe how ignored this team is, by the media, by everybody. And yet they just continue to excel year after year.

Great program, great team, great entertainment.

I go to several games a year. Love the way the Bears play sensible hockey. Good antidote to watching Oilers hockey.

What makes this win today even more impressive is the Bears had to go 5 periods to win yesterday and they're facing a very well rested Saskatchewan club that got eliminated from Canada West along time ago and are fresh fresh fresh.

Bears weren't as speedy today as usual and had to also kill a bs 5 minute penalty in which Lazo also got tossed from the game making it tougher for an already tired lineup.
In true Bears fashion they score the winning goal shorthanded on the 5min penalty and don't allow anything.

Worthy Champs and best club in the nation. Very good team play.:handclap:

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
I'm pretty active at the University and I had no idea they were playing in the finals. I know they had won their first game, but beyond that I hadn't heard a single word. Hopefully the Wrestling team can grab another national championship.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
I'm pretty active at the University and I had no idea they were playing in the finals. I know they had won their first game, but beyond that I hadn't heard a single word. Hopefully the Wrestling team can grab another national championship.

True I'm sure but you just need to know where to look and listen. A trip to the U of A athletics website is a good place to start. All of the Golden Bears/Pandas games in most sports are live-streamed there.

Huge congrats to the hockey Bears on their 14th national championship!

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

There is no excuse for not knowing. Twitter is a great way to follow the team. You can watch it online and listen to the games. I've followed it all season.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Its a very tough tournament to win. The format sets up top teams for all different kinds of trouble...but...Alberta Bears pulled through.

Congrats to all the people involved with that wonderful program.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
Loved going to Bears games when I was at school. Nothing like guaranteed win night with some friends. Some people say being up 4-0 after 1 is boring...I profoundly disagree.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True I'm sure but you just need to know where to look and listen. A trip to the U of A athletics website is a good place to start. All of the Golden Bears/Pandas games in most sports are live-streamed there.

Huge congrats to the hockey Bears on their 14th national championship!

There is no excuse for not knowing. Twitter is a great way to follow the team. You can watch it online and listen to the games. I've followed it all season.

Here's the thing, you shouldn't have to look for it. The only reason I heard anything about it was because I was in my car Saturday and heard something on 1260, but it was brief.

The diehards will always know, but the casual fan will have no idea.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
I think the main problem with CIS hockey is that it's made up almost entirely of players who didn't and won't make it. In the USA their college teams are feeder leagues to probably every pro league. It's why jr hockey while probably an inferior product will always draw more attention

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
I think the main problem with CIS hockey is that it's made up almost entirely of players who didn't and won't make it. In the USA their college teams are feeder leagues to probably every pro league. It's why jr hockey while probably an inferior product will always draw more attention

What about Corey Cross?

According to an older thread here Mathieu Darche and Joel Ward are also both CIS alum.

For the most part the players are former CHL players who didn't get drafted (or got drafted, but didn't show much development beyond that point), but there are going to be the occasional late bloomers, and a handful of players who likely could have found pro jobs somewhere, but have instead decided to play in the CIS and get a degree.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I care more about the quality of the hockey and the competitiveness of the team than seeing future NHLers. I love university hockey.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

true, but, it is what it is. It's kinda like a good senior men's league. I wonder how the Bears would fair against the Bentley Generals? I suspect that Senior AAA is a bit higher then CIS.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
What about Corey Cross?

According to an older thread here Mathieu Darche and Joel Ward are also both CIS alum.

For the most part the players are former CHL players who didn't get drafted (or got drafted, but didn't show much development beyond that point), but there are going to be the occasional late bloomers, and a handful of players who likely could have found pro jobs somewhere, but have instead decided to play in the CIS and get a degree.

Yeah there are a few guys, but they are few and far between. Lots of the bears probably could go play pro in Europe.

I care more about the quality of the hockey and the competitiveness of the team than seeing future NHLers. I love university hockey.

That's the way it should be

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Its a very tough tournament to win. The format sets up top teams for all different kinds of trouble...but...Alberta Bears pulled through.

Congrats to all the people involved with that wonderful program.

it is a tough tourney. lose your first game and you are kinda screwed. I wish they made it more like March Madness. A 16 team tourney that lasts a couple weeks would be awsome. but, alas, it's not the Canadian way to market something into a big event.

we like our low profile events that fly under the radar. sad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad