U-17's 2021 Capital City Challenge

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
I feel like this format will not be used again. It really is unfair to the women's national team. Best case scenario, it gives them a bit of a spark somehow for when they face the US women's team.

Reactions: three dog night

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
its crazy does no good for Womens team and nothing for U17's clearly see theyre not skating full effort.

Stats 2 games for women
outscored 14-3 outshot 91-41 and play strongest team in black tonight went 0-5 vs tier 2 club teams

Would it help them to play USports allstar teams like Canada WJ teams do?? i know they'd win but closer competition??

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
its crazy does no good for Womens team and nothing for U17's clearly see theyre not skating full effort.

Stats 2 games for women
outscored 14-3 outshot 91-41 and play strongest team in black tonight went 0-5 vs tier 2 club teams

Would it help them to play USports allstar teams like Canada WJ teams do?? i know they'd win but closer competition??

For u-17s playing a decent USports team would be more than enough of a challenge. USports all starts would obviously be too much if the u20 NT have a hard time with them.

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021

Stats 2 games for women

Team black currently outshooting them 42-7 through 2 periods. It’s not pretty watch

Reactions: LDNknights

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Team black currently outshooting them 42-7 through 2 periods. It’s not pretty watch

Sounds like they are doing better than china would against Canada in the Olympics though.

Just saying and yes I think they need to be playing other teams not the best of the U-17s at this point.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Well they gave Team Canada Black quite a scare. I watched some of the third: the ladies had plenty of chances to win.

They've definitely come a long way from losing to midget teams.

Reactions: LDN and LDNknights

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Well they gave Team Canada Black quite a scare. I watched some of the third: the ladies had plenty of chances to win.

They've definitely come a long way from losing to midget teams.
The final shots were 50-20. But yeah, their goalie played really well

Going into the bronze game, the Women's National Team has played 13 periods and been outshot in 12 of them, for a total of 197-76.

G1 vs CAN White: outshot 48-19
P1: got outshot 10-5
P2: got outshot 22-3
P3: got outshot 16-11

G2 vs CAN Red: outshot 43-22
P1: got outshot 19-5
P2: outshot 11-9
P3: got outshot 15-6

G3 vs CAN Black: outshot 56-15
P1: got outshot 19-5
P2: got outshot 22-2
P3: got outshot 15-8

G4 vs CAN Black: outshot 50-20
P1: got outshot 18-6
P2: got outshot 12-7
P3: got outshot 19-7
P4: got outshot 1-0

Outscored 22-7 in those games.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDNknights and LDN

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

It's so hard though for the women to get a competitive game other then playing the US Team all the time? Not sure what exactly the answer is but I do appreciate the challenge both Canada and the US face in the women's game.

Reactions: StormWatcher

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It's so hard though for the women to get a competitive game other then playing the US Team all the time? Not sure what exactly the answer is but I do appreciate the challenge both Canada and the US face in the women's game.
Going into the tournament I thought it was a good idea. But clearly it is not. I'm shocked at how the women's team has been absolutely dominated by the U17s in every single game. I thought they'd at least play close

Reactions: dirty12

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
For u-17s playing a decent USports team would be more than enough of a challenge. USports all starts would obviously be too much if the u20 NT have a hard time with them.
i meant the ladies

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Going into the tournament I thought it was a good idea. But clearly it is not. I'm shocked at how the women's team has been absolutely dominated by the U17s in every single game. I thought they'd at least play close
yeah it wasnt even close perhaps they should stick to decent u16 club teams like theyve done in the past which were competitive games ive heard in and around Calgary because these games dont help them getting waxed or the u17's going half throttle

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
yeah it wasnt even close perhaps they should stick to decent u16 club teams like theyve done in the past which were competitive games ive heard in and around Calgary because these games dont help them getting waxed or the u17's going half throttle
If the home base for the womens team is Calgary, is it possible for them to join a boys U-16 league there? Would be suitable competition and would given them a significant amount of games to practice for international competitions, without being too overbearing

Reactions: foghorn

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

I'm the opposite, they exceeded my expectations. They typically play triple A midget teams pretty close and have a mixed record against them. These are the best U17 players in the country and they didn't get totally blown out of the arena and pushed a game to OT. I was imagining regular double digit scorelines.

Like I said, I think the WNT has improved in the last 5-10 years considerably.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm the opposite, they exceeded my expectations. They typically play triple A midget teams pretty close and have a mixed record against them. These are the best U17 players in the country and they didn't get totally blown out of the arena and pushed a game to OT. I was imagining regular double digit scorelines.

Getting outshot a combined 245-90 and getting outscored a combined 28-8 is better than you expected? If so that's really embarrassing. I would not have expected the best women in the country to be considerably worse than the best 16 year old boys in the country. I was obviously wrong

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Getting outshot a combined 245-90 and getting outscored a combined 28-8 is better than you expected? If so that's really embarrassing. I would not have expected the best women in the country to be considerably worse than the best 16 year old boys in the country. I was obviously wrong

Yes, based on their mediocre results against triple A midget teams and Junior A sides it was obvious to most that they were going to be considerably overmatched. Going from that level of competition to playing a bunch of CHL first rounders and future NHLers is a steep jump.

Reactions: Garyboy and LDN

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021

This is my thoughts as well. Watching the games, I do think some of the scores were actually flattering and had the under 17’s kept their foot on the gas, the final scores could have been very very lopsided. It just wasn’t ever going to be a tournament where the women’s national team was going to be able to compete unfortunately.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
This is my thoughts as well. Watching the games, I do think some of the scores were actually flattering and had the under 17’s kept their foot on the gas, the final scores could have been very very lopsided. It just wasn’t ever going to be a tournament where the women’s national team was going to be able to compete unfortunately.
Still a good test and a good way for the U-17 guys to show skill games without the hitting

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I only watch 2 womens teams play but they are some of my favorite games to watch. To see the Canadian ladies to perform the way I would expect a non-US/Canadian team to play was a surprise.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It’s a lot closer to Women’s hockey than say 1995 era NHL. The USA-Canada women’s games are about as gritty as a lot of OHL games I watch. Which isn’t ALL bad but there’s certainly aspects of the changes I don’t like or approve of.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Having them play men’s league teams would be a good challenge for them.

Reactions: LDN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad