Prospect Info: Tyson Kozak, F (193rd overall, 2021) -- SIGNED to 3-year ELC

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Especially with an influx of more young players coming. Getting him in early, though somewhat unexpected at the time, positions him well to not only not get lost in the mix but to take a leadership role to the other prospects. He’ll have gone through it already…and will have a bigger role
Without putting the expectations of projection onto Kozak, I'm hopefully he is looking at a bottom 6 role on the big club in the next two seasons.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, just looking at the player stat lines, one has to take into it that Kozak is 4.5 years younger than Murray. At the same age, Murray was playing for Youngstown of the USHL and had to come to the next camp to earn an AHL contract, let alone an NHL deal. Murray's playing PP time for Rochester - sometimes first, sometimes second depending on available personnel - and Kozak almost without fail does not and that lead to 8 goals and 13 PP points for Murray.

In just playoff terms, Jobst with Mersch and Murray on the wings had some matchup issues trying to slow down Barre-Boulet and were on for the last two Crunch goals in Game 5. I wouldn't look too deeply into the +/- thing. The Game 3 win was due in large part for what Murray did offensively an dhe still wound up -1.

They don't have Biro so they're playing Jobst up as C1 and Malone as C2 while Kozak was on Malone's wing much in Game's 4 and 5 with Rosen on the other side. He's been the sort of warrior mentality that Sabre fans will love when it translates up to the big club. He takes hits to make plays - the one were he gets crushed to feed Weissbach in Game 1 was something lesser players wouldn't have tried, they would've daisy curled and peeled off instead of eating the hit. If there is question of where an energy line replacement or two are coming from within the Sabres prospect cadre, Kozak is at the top of a very short list with Cederqvist for those sort of roles.
I personally would count Rousek to that group

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He's in the mix but he's more of a speed/pest checker than a banger. Kozak, Cederqvist it's part of their game, Rousek's game is much more about his burst and persistence.
I must have misread, I thought the post was in general about that 4th line energy role; I thought Rousek showed his willingness in his 2 games to go to the dirty areas in front of the net, which seems to be avoided by most of the big club personnel.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He casually blocks every puck that gets near him. Peca is going to mold him into a winner. Raved about him at dev camp…stole him away to the AHL when most thought he should be sent back to captain his WHL team. Has to be thrilled with his development track right now. Making big time plays in the biggest games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm mildly concerned about his constant and varying injuries. When he's on, he's an asset, but at this point, is that going to ever be consistent enough to get reps and push further upward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad