Value of: Tyson Barrie

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't trade a "60 point dman" to make room for a prospect. Ever.

You make a prospect earn a spot on the roster, and then earn a spot on a line/pairing.

If you are offering an established player in order to play a guy who has never stepped on professional ice a spot in the top 4, then you are suggesting that the guy you are trading isn't really "that good". I'm not saying Barrie isn't, but if he is... there is zero reason why you wouldn't have both he and Makar.

I personally just want no part of his next contract. And I always considered myself one of the bigger Barrie fans out there. But he does have his warts that probably only get worse once he starts aging...
Given that the Avs have Girard and Makar incoming who arguably both fit the same mould than Barrie, I don't believe this is a scenario where the avs should just pay up and roll with it...

Also offensive Ds are arguably not that valuable right now. Atleast I can't think of a team right now aside from maybe Edmonton that wants to win and that is in dire need of Tyson Barrie right now. Even though he is probably one of the premier offensive Ds in the league...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think anything north of $7.75M is an overpayment for him. We’ll see what happens with him, I guess.

It might be but it would only be a slight overpayment.

To me, the most closely comparable player to Barrie in recent years is Keith Yandle. He's peaked at 59 points, and hit 50+ points 3 times in his career before he signed his big UFA contract. He signed said contract on June 23rd 2016 before the 2016/17 Season and signed at the exact same age Barrie will sign his at, 29 years old.

Yandle signed for 7 years, 44.45M which worked out to an AAV of 6.35M. And the year he signed his contract the cap was set for 73.0M which means Yandle was worth 8.7% of his teams cap space.

Barrie is proving to be extremely similar to Yandle so far. He's well on his way to his 3rd 50+ point season(And had a season at 49 points), has peaked so far at 57 points(In 68 games), and will be signing his big UFA contract also at the age of 29. To me it's a near perfect match for the kind of contract Barrie will get. Given the history of the cap under this current CBA, I think it would be fair to say the cap will rise for ~2.5-3M each year for the next 2 years meaning an ~82M cap for next year, and thus an ~85M cap for the firs year Barrie's new contract would kick in.

If we use the Yandle contract, at an 85M cap Barrie would be in line for a 7.4M cap hit.

So, 8M may be a slight overpayment you're right but I also think there's other factors to consider. For one, Yandle had a pair of down years by his standards before he signed his deal with 47 points and 41 points in his 2 years prior. Barrie is currently tracking for 55-60 points this year and could hit 55-60 points again next year. Barrie also scored more goals then Yandle which accounts for potentially extra money as well. Yandle had 7, 5, and 5 goals in the 3 years prior to his contract while Barrie has had 13, 12, 13, 7, 14, and currently on pace for 10 goals again this year. On the flip side, Yandle signed his new deal with a brand new team in the Panthers meaning he likely didn't take any kind of discount to sign with them and was simply taking what he wanted in terms of money, while the Avs if we re-sign Barrie stand a reasonable opportunity to get a discount given that we're the only team Barrie has ever played for, his best friend Mackinnon is the star of the team and is on a discount contract himself, and Barrie is looked at as a leader on this team.

Long story short, I think 8M would be pretty close to market value for Barrie in a league where we're playing to an 85M salary cap, but I actually expect it a possibility we get him for a smaller number. More along the lines of 7-7.25M instead.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I personally just want no part of his next contract. And I always considered myself one of the bigger Barrie fans out there. But he does have his warts that probably only get worse once he starts aging...
Given that the Avs have Girard and Makar incoming who arguably both fit the same mould than Barrie, I don't believe this is a scenario where the avs should just pay up and roll with it...

Also offensive Ds are arguably not that valuable right now. Atleast I can't think of a team right now aside from maybe Edmonton that wants to win and that is in dire need of Tyson Barrie right now. Even though he is probably one of the premier offensive Ds in the league...

Wouldn't it be better to wait until Girard/Makar are actually ready, and moving Barrrie then, instead of forcing them into a role they aren't ready for yet? I agree we shouldn't just pay Barrie whatever he wants, but the old Pierre LaCroix method of "take our lowball offer, or go away, because we don't believe in compromise" doesn't really work either. I'd rather look for a way to keep Barrie for at least a couple more years, until Makar/Girard are a little more ready to take over his role.

Reactions: budaj guy

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Wouldn't it be better to wait until Girard/Makar are actually ready, and moving Barrrie then, instead of forcing them into a role they aren't ready for yet? I agree we shouldn't just pay Barrie whatever he wants, but the old Pierre LaCroix method of "take our lowball offer, or go away, because we don't believe in compromise" doesn't really work either. I'd rather look for a way to keep Barrie for at least a couple more years, until Makar/Girard are a little more ready to take over his role.

Not at all IMO...
Its not like the Avs are winning a cup with Barrie in the next 1.5 years..
Not even close
And I don't want to pay Barrie the 7.5-8M x 6-8 years that Newport will be asking for atleast. Not even if both Makar and Girard completely bust. I personally don't think Barrie will have much if any trade value on his next contract while he still should be able to give us a decent return right now.

Don't get me wrong. Tyson absolutely deserves that huge deal but as an Avs fan I want no part of the Avs being the team paying for it. IMO Barrie for 1.5 years @ 5.5M in his prime still should hold a ton of value on the trade market in theory. In reality I can't come up with a single team that would give up good value for him right now but I still would ship him out asap if a decent offer comes along in the next two weeks.

Add expansion considerations to the mix and IMO trading him is no-brainer. Only problem again is that I right now can't think of a single team that makes sense now that Chia has left town in Edmonton...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not at all IMO...
Its not like the Avs are winning a cup with Barrie in the next 1.5 years..
Not even close
And I don't want to pay Barrie the 7.5-8M x 6-8 years that Newport will be asking for atleast. Not even if both Makar and Girard completely bust. I personally don't think Barrie will have much if any trade value on his next contract while he still should be able to give us a decent return right now.

Don't get me wrong. Tyson absolutely deserves that huge deal but as an Avs fan I want no part of the Avs being the team paying for it. IMO Barrie for 1.5 years @ 5.5M in his prime still should hold a ton of value on the trade market in theory. In reality I can't come up with a single team that would give up good value for him right now but I still would ship him out asap if a decent offer comes along in the next two weeks.

Add expansion considerations to the mix and IMO trading him is no-brainer. Only problem again is that I right now can't think of a single team that makes sense now that Chia has left town in Edmonton...

No, we probably won't be winning a Cup in the next 1.5 years. But we have the opportunity to let our youngsters develop behind and learn from one of the better offensive D in the league. To me, that's more valuable than the better return we'd get if we traded him now. I'd happily give him $8m x 5 years to keep him around. With 1 or 2 years left on that contract, we won't have any issues moving him, even if he won't return all that much. I don't think Makar/Girard will be ready to fully take over for Barrie until about then anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad