Value of: Tyson Barrie

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
On Pace for 60 points

Signed through next year at $5.5 Million

Avalanche's best prospect Makar potentially taking his place next year.

But good chemistry with the top line and MacKinnon's best friend on the Avalanche.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I’d like to keep Barrie, but I think he’s going to price himself out of Colorado, so I think he’ll be traded. It would be nice to get a top 6 forward for him or a good prospect and/or pick.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’d consider Toffoli. Carter and Quick are getting up their in age and Quick is a band-aid.
Toffoli/Barrie seems like a good basis for a deal. Not sure what else needs to be added.

First rounders and top prospects (Grundstrom, Kupari, JAD) likely are non starters.

I still think LA doesn’t want to sell low on Toffoli. Still has term too.

Reactions: Burnaby Joe

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The Yandle to NY trade gives a good gauge of what it would take if it were a futures deal. The (heavily rumoured) trades that Shattenkirk nixed with his NMC gives a good idea of what it would take if it was 1 for 1 (St Louis could have gotten Hall or Drouin straight up had Shattenkirk wanted to be traded at the time).

I believe the most fair 1 for 1 trade possible would be for RNH, but with the Oilers lack of forward talent/prospects with top 6 upside they probably wouldn’t do it.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The Yandle to NY trade gives a good gauge of what it would take if it were a futures deal. The (heavily rumoured) trades that Shattenkirk nixed with his NMC gives a good idea of what it would take if it was 1 for 1 (St Louis could have gotten Hall or Drouin straight up had Shattenkirk wanted to be traded at the time).

I believe the most fair 1 for 1 trade possible would be for RNH, but with the Oilers lack of forward talent/prospects with top 6 upside they probably wouldn’t do it.
Fair trade? Yes

Would we do it? No

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs probably already missed their window to get a good deal for Barrie.

I think he should get traded regardless given the setup of our team and his next contract. But IMO Sakic made quite a big mistake not trading him earlier.

I don't think that there is an obvious suitor out there right now that would be willing to give us a good deal for him. Our best hope is probably a late 1st + a couple of decent prospects like Muzzin returned and it probably will be even worse in the offseason. Hopefully Sakic pulls the trigger sooner than later.

Still can't come up with a reasonable destination, though...

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's not for sell.

If anything he needs to be signed to an extension on July 1st. Dude is our only Dman capable of running a PP, our only Dman capable of breaking out of the defensive zone, and our only Defender with a Slap Shot capable of being put on net.

We trade him we're a dumpster fire. Right now we're just a small tire fire but move him and it quickly becomes so much worse.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Fair trade? Yes

Would we do it? No
Yup which is why I said they probably wouldn’t do it. On the surface it would make sense with the Avs depth of RHD and the Oilers depth at Center, and the two teams obvious needs for a puckmoving RHD/two way Center. But the Oilers really can’t afford to deplete their forward core even further, even though they have Drai/McDavid as centers already.

It’s kind of difficult to make trades for the Oilers since they really don’t have one position with lots of depth either on the roster or in the prospect pool, you would think it would be Center but when you look at the forward position as a whole RNH is pretty needed.

Reactions: 780il

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
He's not for sell.

If anything he needs to be signed to an extension on July 1st. Dude is our only Dman capable of running a PP, our only Dman capable of breaking out of the defensive zone, and our only Defender with a Slap Shot capable of being put on net.

We trade him we're a dumpster fire. Right now we're just a small tire fire but move him and it quickly becomes so much worse.
I agree with this, but what’s the plan if/when he asks for $8M+? He’s not worth that type of cash.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yup which is why I said they probably wouldn’t do it. On the surface it would make sense with the Avs depth of RHD and the Oilers depth at Center, and the two teams obvious needs for a puckmoving RHD/two way Center. But the Oilers really can’t afford to deplete their forward core even further, even though they have Drai/McDavid as centers already.

It’s kind of difficult to make trades for the Oilers since they really don’t have one position with lots of depth either on the roster or in the prospect pool, you would think it would be Center but when you look at the forward position as a whole RNH is pretty needed.
The only position we have depth in the prospect is defense. Bouchard, Jones, and Bear are noteworthy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree with this, but what’s the plan if/when he asks for $8M+? He’s not worth that type of cash.

Cross that bridge when we get there I guess. I dont think $8M is out of line at all for him personally. People are soon going to realize that with the new cap world we're about to enter into, $8M for a #2Dman who's bread and butter is producing points will be the normal going rate.

Jake Gardiner probably fetches 6-7M this summer, I suspect his contract will be the one to really shed light on what Barrie is worth.

EDIT: Erik Karlsson getting $12-13M likely sheds light on it also. If EK gets 12M+ and Gardiner gets 7M, Barrie will absolutely be deserving of 8M.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Barrie's one of the better offensive defensemen in the league. If I'm the Avs I keep him.

Problem with that is that the Avs have Makar and Girard. Both project to be offensive Ds down the line. Girard is solid defensively which is amazing given his age and size. But given his size he will probably never be really a two-way D and I am hopeful that his offense will come.
Jury is still out on Makar but I have my doubts there as well when it comes to him becoming a true two-way D.

Because of that spending 7.5M+ on an offensive D till he is in his mid-30s does not seem like a great idea..
His next contract will start when he is 29 and given that he will get close to 8 M and probably ask for 6-8 years, it will IMO be a very ugly one that I want no part of.
The EJ contract already is starting to backfire a bit on the Avs and I have 0 doubts that the Barrie contract will do the same sooner rather than later.

Sakic should have traded him a longtime ago.
IMO he still should hold a lot of value to a team devoid of offense from the blueline or a team that is in it to win it in the next 2 years. A description that IMO simply does not fit the Avs.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I doubt he's traded in season, Avs are in the playoff hunt and should continue to get better next year. I could see him getting moved at the draft, but I think he'll finish out his contract in Colorado

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Cross that bridge when we get there I guess. I dont think $8M is out of line at all for him personally. People are soon going to realize that with the new cap world we're about to enter into, $8M for a #2Dman who's bread and butter is producing points will be the normal going rate.

Jake Gardiner probably fetches 6-7M this summer, I suspect his contract will be the one to really shed light on what Barrie is worth.

EDIT: Erik Karlsson getting $12-13M likely sheds light on it also. If EK gets 12M+ and Gardiner gets 7M, Barrie will absolutely be deserving of 8M.
I think anything north of $7.75M is an overpayment for him. We’ll see what happens with him, I guess.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think you can get a similar (but slighlty better) return than Pacioretty’s.

Top prospect + 1st round pick + replacement player (most likely semi-cap dump where’s he’s still an NHL level player but tad overpaid)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
On Pace for 60 points

Signed through next year at $5.5 Million

Avalanche's best prospect Makar potentially taking his place next year.

But good chemistry with the top line and MacKinnon's best friend on the Avalanche.
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't trade a "60 point dman" to make room for a prospect. Ever.

You make a prospect earn a spot on the roster, and then earn a spot on a line/pairing.

If you are offering an established player in order to play a guy who has never stepped on professional ice a spot in the top 4, then you are suggesting that the guy you are trading isn't really "that good". I'm not saying Barrie isn't, but if he is... there is zero reason why you wouldn't have both he and Makar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad