Value of: Tyson Barrie to Edmonton

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh boy never heard this one before

Barrie is pretty great offensively but last season and so far this year...woof his defense. Don’t think he’s the guy the oilers should be targeting. And definitely not for Drai unless the + is rather substantial.
I would suspect Barrie will be moved once Makar and Timmons are NHL ready. Another 2 RHD who are puck movers. Likely will spell the end of Barries time in Colorado.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
RNH has always been the most fair piece, not sure if either team does it but that’s probably fair. If it happens it’ll be another Schenn for JVR trade, one that hfboards has been calling for years before it actually happens. Maybe with an add coming from Edmonton since Barrie has extremely similar production as RNH the last four years plus this one (0.665 for Barrie versus 0.678 for RNH) while being a defenceman.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Oh boy never heard this one before

Barrie is pretty great offensively but last season and so far this year...woof his defense. Don’t think he’s the guy the oilers should be targeting. And definitely not for Drai unless the + is rather substantial.
Barrie has taken a big step defensively this year. It shows in his +/- this year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
We have Bouchard and Bear coming to be our offensive RHD'S. We do however have no offensive depth. No way in hell Drai gets moved period. RNH will only be moved if we can add to him for an upgrade with term. Ie Nuge + for Panarin with an extension.

Weast

May 16, 2011
I don't think trading him this season is a good idea, however at the draft maybe something around Barrie for Yamamoto or Poolparty?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think trading him this season is a good idea, however at the draft maybe something around Barrie for Yamamoto or Poolparty?
No way Barrie gets traded for both of them combined let alone one. I think fans on both sides agree RNH for Barrie is a good foundation for a trade.
Something like:
Puljujarvi + RNH for Jost + Barrie?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
RNH for Barrie will never happen because we have zero offensive depth.

Draisaitl for Barrie will straight up never happen.

As others have said, internal options are coming. Frankly if Bouchard stayed he’d have been no worse than our fourth best defenceman, he was playing really well. McLellan just hates those damned kids.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
RNH for Barrie will never happen because we have zero offensive depth.

Draisaitl for Barrie will straight up never happen.

As others have said, internal options are coming. Frankly if Bouchard stayed he’d have been no worse than our fourth best defenceman, he was playing really well. McLellan just hates those damned kids.
I think Edmonton is a better team with Barrie than with RNH. A puck moving offensive D that can QB a PP will have bigger impact than another top 6 forward.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Barrie has taken a big step defensively this year. It shows in his +/- this year.

...he tried to say with a straight face :laugh:

I think the trade makes sense for RNH. I'd probably do it, but there's some Avs fans that make a good point that the timing of the trade probably doesn't make sense with Makar not even with his feet wet in the NHL yet.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
The Oilers aren’t trading Draisaitl and as an Avs’ fan, I wouldn’t want him and his contract. As for Nuge, pass.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
How much is Edmonton willing to pay for an "exceptional passer"? He put on a good show for the Edmonton front office on Sunday.

Barrie + for Draisaitl?
RNH+ for Barrie?
Boy that plus we would've to add for Draisaitl. I don't think it's worth discussing for the Oilers since they would ask something around Rantanen or OTT 1st and our 1st which I'm sure EDM refuses since they would take too much risk there. They would be in the same spot as we are right now looking for a #2C while only having Mcdavid carrying this team. :laugh:

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think Edmonton is a better team with Barrie than with RNH. A puck moving offensive D that can QB a PP will have bigger impact than another top 6 forward.

I don't think you're very familiar with the Edmonton Oilers or their needs.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Don’t think these teams are good trading partners honestly, both of them don’t have secondary scoring
Barrie is secondary scoring though. Last year he paced for 69 points and this year He’s on pace for 68. He’s also a western Canadian guy, a puckmoving RHD that Edmonton badly badly needs, on a good contract, and Edmonton has shown interest in the past.

For the Avs they also need Barrie’s secondary scoring but with the emergence of Girard and with Makar putting video game numbers up in college it might get to a point where there’s not enough pp time to go around and Barrie’s the one who is going to command a big UFA contract in two years. I’m not one of the Avs fans that wants Barrie out at all costs but I do see the merit in eventually trading him for that 2C, RNH would be the absolute minimum kind of guy I’d go after though, as Barrie brings a lot of value himself.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Barrie is secondary scoring though. Last year he paced for 69 points and this year He’s on pace for 68. He’s also a western Canadian guy, a puckmoving RHD that Edmonton badly badly needs, on a good contract, and Edmonton has shown interest in the past.

For the Avs they also need Barrie’s secondary scoring but with the emergence of Girard and with Makar putting video game numbers up in college it might get to a point where there’s not enough pp time to go around and Barrie’s the one who is going to command a big UFA contract in two years. I’m not one of the Avs fans that wants Barrie out at all costs but I do see the merit in eventually trading him for that 2C, RNH would be the absolute minimum kind of guy I’d go after though, as Barrie brings a lot of value himself.
Edmonton doesn’t have the forward depth to afford to trade Nuge, is the issue

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
No way Barrie gets traded for both of them combined let alone one. I think fans on both sides agree RNH for Barrie is a good foundation for a trade.
Something like:
Puljujarvi + RNH for Jost + Barrie?
Hows about we take out Barrie and RNH and work with something around Puljujarvi and Jost. Jost comes home to Edmonton and Pulju could learn a thing or two from his fellow Finn Rantanen.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

A gem, as always.

Hows about we take out Barrie and RNH and work with something around Puljujarvi and Jost. Jost comes home to Edmonton and Pulju could learn a thing or two from his fellow Finn Rantanen.

Can't lend him his brain :thumbu:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Boy that plus we would've to add for Draisaitl. I don't think it's worth discussing for the Oilers since they would ask something around Rantanen or OTT 1st and our 1st which I'm sure EDM refuses since they would take too much risk there. They would be in the same spot as we are right now looking for a #2C while only having Mcdavid carrying this team. :laugh:

There’s one of you lot that always tries to convince me that Barrie, Kerfoot, and futures is a good deal for Draisaitl... hasn’t worked yet. :laugh:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
We have Bouchard and Bear coming to be our offensive RHD'S. We do however have no offensive depth. No way in hell Drai gets moved period. RNH will only be moved if we can add to him for an upgrade with term. Ie Nuge + for Panarin with an extension.
:huh::huh::huh:

I’ve seen in other threads regarding Panarin to the flyers that it would cost

Voracek + and depending on the term and dollar amount another +.

It would take RNH + + just to get Voracek so idk what you assume that other + to be, but my god it better be a lot more than RNH.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's @cgf. He has fantasies about Draisaitl. Push him hard for MacKinnon in return and he might break. Or his firstborn, if you're looking to pick up a kid.

Ahh yeah that’s the one haha. Having an elite RW/very good C that we can shift around as needed is a luxury I don’t think we should be giving up lightly.

MacKinnon’s emergence is exactly why only idiots deal high end young centres for anything that’s not a high end young defenceman with many years of team control, even if they’re not what you want them to be at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad