Tyrell Goulbourne

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Now that they are not carrying an enforcer, hopefully they won't be wasting 3rd round picks on a dime a dozen potential role players.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Now that they are not carrying an enforcer, hopefully they won't be wasting 3rd round picks on a dime a dozen potential role players.

Ummm...did you miss the part where a Rinaldo was resigned for 2 more years? They clearly want a guy like Zac Or Goul in the team.

But yes, hopefully since they have them both, they are fine not drafting any for the next few years and then if they do, use a 6th rounder in him, not a 3rd.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I follow him on Twitter and he seems like a good kid. I am pulling for him but if he doesn't work out it is just a late pick that was always going to be iffy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I follow him on Twitter and he seems like a good kid. I am pulling for him but if he doesn't work out it is just a late pick that was always going to be iffy.

That's the thing though, it wasn't a "late pick." They burned a 3rd rounder on a kid who not only was redundant with Rinaldo being so young, but they most likely could have drafted him in the 5th or 6th round.

3rd round picks can yield very good value if you actually use them wisely. Draft raw talent that have a lot of room to grow.

Shayne Gostisbehere is a perfect example of a great 3rd round pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Great point. It's not really that he was picked. The 3rd round isn't late. And they lowered their chances of success under their own volition.

No matter. Hextall did not oversee this selection, thus it is not his problem to fix.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's the thing though, it wasn't a "late pick." They burned a 3rd rounder on a kid who not only was redundant with Rinaldo being so young, but they most likely could have drafted him in the 5th or 6th round.

3rd round picks can yield very good value if you actually use them wisely. Draft raw talent that have a lot of room to grow.

Shayne Gostisbehere is a perfect example of a great 3rd round pick.

The thing that makes this pick rankle even more is the general consensus around here at the time...

pretty much everyone knew that there was still some great talent that had somehow fell into the 3rd when pegged as 2nd rounders or even 1st's at the start of the year.

Had we had a vote on it it would have likely been:

#1: Bjorkstrand
#2: Slepyshev
#3: Subban
#4: Buchnevich
#5: Lodge
#6: Yakimov
#7: Duclair
#8: Cehlarik
#9: Andrighetto
#10: Gabriel
#11: Janmark-Nylén
#12: Saros
#13: Possler

Pretty sure all those names were mentioned at the time... the top 8 multiple times.

and to compound that even more they had Bjorkstrand ahead of him on the draft board! They had Bjorkstrand at #51 on the draft board... over 20 places ahead of where they had Ghoul.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The thing that makes this pick rankle even more is the general consensus around here at the time...

pretty much everyone knew that there was still some great talent that had somehow fell into the 3rd when pegged as 2nd rounders or even 1st's at the start of the year.

Pretty sure all those names were mentioned at the time... the top 8 multiple times.

and to compound that even more they had Bjorkstrand ahead of him on the draft board! They had Bjorkstrand at #51 on the draft board... over 20 places ahead of where they had Ghoul.

This is what is alarming to me. In no way shape or form should this ever be allowed to happen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Didn't know that. Completely absurd. Not surprised though. I remember them showing a look into the Flyers drafting committee when they were discussing the 2013 draft and they sounded like a bunch of total buffoons.

Sounds to me like the Ghoul pick came about from a drunken game of darts or maybe even a wheel with names on it that they spun.

After seeing Duclair so far, I want to punch Holmgren right in his square ****ing head.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Didn't know that. Completely absurd. Not surprised though. I remember them showing a look into the Flyers drafting committee when they were discussing the 2013 draft and they sounded like a bunch of total buffoons.

Sounds to me like the Ghoul pick came about from a drunken game of darts or maybe even a wheel with names on it that they spun.

After seeing Duclair so far, I want to punch Holmgren right in his square ****ing head.

Not picking Bjorkstrand to me is just even more inexcusable when you think of the circumstances:

Ranked 21 places ahead of the pick on the draft board.

Is a teammate of one of our prospects (Leier)... so not like not seen a lot of him to base a decision on.

Combined that means they; saw a lot of him, liked what they saw, had him ranked miles ahead of where they picked... yet did not pick him.

He was the highest ranked guy still available on the board by like 10 picks!

The decision making process in light of that is unfathomable.

Especially now he has developed into EXACTLY the kind of prospect we are missing from our prospect pool.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not picking Bjorkstrand to me is just even more inexcusable when you think of the circumstances:

Ranked 21 places ahead of the pick on the draft board.

Is a teammate of one of our prospects (Leier)... so not like not seen a lot of him to base a decision on.

Combined that means they; saw a lot of him, liked what they saw, had him ranked miles ahead of where they picked... yet did not pick him.

He was the highest ranked guy still available on the board by like 10 picks!

The decision making process in light of that is unfathomable.

Especially now he has developed into EXACTLY the kind of prospect we are missing from our prospect pool.

That is exactly what I didn't get. They SAW him lots. They SAW his upside. Yet when they picked, there I sat with my draft book going "who?". Bjork is who I wanted that day at that pick, and it seemed like a great pick at the time. And then to later find out they thought so to, yet picked Goul anyways, very disappointing.

I will never be in favour of drafting a player whose upside is a 4th liner. I would rather swing for the fences and get a boom/bust top guy than a safe 4th line pick. Fourth liners can be filled any year quite easily.

Here is what I said afterwards.

I agree. Pick the guys who have upside and talent. Even of they have shown some immaturity. I thought Bjork was ours given that we watched Portland a bunch.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is exactly what I didn't get. They SAW him lots. They SAW his upside. Yet when they picked, there I sat with my draft book going "who?". Bjork is who I wanted that day at that pick, and it seemed like a great pick at the time. And then to later find out they thought so to, yet picked Goul anyways, very disappointing.

I will never be in favour of drafting a player whose upside is a 4th liner. I would rather swing for the fences and get a boom/bust top guy than a safe 4th line pick. Fourth liners can be filled any year quite easily.

Here is what I said afterwards.

Yeh, if you look at semi-recent forwards picked in that range (70-75) who became decent NHLers and their stats the year they were drafted:

Asham (77 in 70)
Carcillo (66 in 68)
Clutterbuck (68 in 66)
Cole (31 in 34, NCAA)
Hagman (13 in 14 jr Fin, 15 in 14 jr Int)
MacArthur (75 in 70)
Marchand (66 in 68)
Plekanec (10 in 9 u20, 18 in 47 Czech div1)
Prust (52 in 64)
Sim (101 in 63)

Goulbourne

18 (14 in 63)
19 (27 in 64)
20 (37 in 68)

Even the guys who ended up as career 3rd and 4th liners doubled his output at minimum when drafted... some a year younger and some a year older, but they were still all far better junior players than him.

There are very few players now in the NHL who stick around more than 100 games who were less than .5 PPG in juniors!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeh, if you look at semi-recent forwards picked in that range (70-75) who became decent NHLers and their stats the year they were drafted:

Asham (77 in 70)
Carcillo (66 in 68)
Clutterbuck (68 in 66)
Cole (31 in 34, NCAA)
Hagman (13 in 14 jr Fin, 15 in 14 jr Int)
MacArthur (75 in 70)
Marchand (66 in 68)
Plekanec (10 in 9 u20, 18 in 47 Czech div1)
Prust (52 in 64)
Sim (101 in 63)

Goulbourne

18 (14 in 63)
19 (27 in 64)
20 (37 in 68)

Even the guys who ended up as career 3rd and 4th liners doubled his output at minimum when drafted... some a year younger and some a year older, but they were still all far better junior players than him.

There are very few players now in the NHL who stick around more than 100 games who were less than .5 PPG in juniors!

Especially when they get drafted as an overager.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Especially when they get drafted as an overager.

Yeh, some of those guys were overagers as well... but they produced at a far better rate even still.

Goulbournes current Junior PPG and Rinaldos are pretty much exactly the same. 0.39 vs 0.37.

Last year Rinaldo had a legitimate claim to being the worst regular NHLer.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yes, they saw him lots, while scouting Leier. But the Western Cdn scouts who saw him most wanted Goulbourne. Their passion for that player resulted in the team overruling its own consensus draft board. Have you never done the same in your hockey pool? You have a list, but when it's your turn, it's some smurf you hate? Yes, so you pick a hunch instead.

The same scouts who wanted Sanheim and Fazleev last year wanted Tyrell before that.

Can we please put a stop to all this pointless whining? Should they have fired the same scouts you are finishing off manually for the later Sanheim pick?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Yes, they saw him lots, while scouting Leier. But the Western Cdn scouts who saw him most wanted Goulbourne. Their passion for that player resulted in the team overruling its own consensus draft board. Have you never done the same in your hockey pool? You have a list, but when it's your turn, it's some smurf you hate? Yes, so you pick a hunch instead.

The same scouts who wanted Sanheim and Fazleev last year wanted Tyrell before that.

Can we please put a stop to all this pointless whining? Should they have fired the same scouts you are finishing off manually for the later Sanheim pick?

This makes no sense. If their "passion" for him was so high, then he would have been ranked higher on their own draft board.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers organization could have a baby stomping competition and Larry would defend it. The Ghoul pick is absolutely indefensible. Him and Klotz were absolute wastes of picks by Homer, and it's unspeakable that he did that twice.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'm not saying it's going to happen but it would be pretty funny if Ghoul has a longer more successful career than the other prospects that people wanted us to take. Chances of that happening are about 1-2% I believe.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
From what I remember reading about the Ghoul pick, is that he was the only player our scouts agreed on. Each individual scout probably liked somebody better, but Holmgren decided to go with Ghoul just because he was the only player that every scout was okay on. Which just seems lazy to me.

Hextall seems aware of this issue though. He mentioned that, rather than going with the consensus pick in the later rounds, he defers to just one or two scouts that are really high on a particular player and goes with that. We might get a lot of misses this way, but I'm hoping it provides us with more hits than we've had before.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Where are we getting this whole "he wasn't even that high on the draft board" or whatever? This is the first I'm hearing this.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
From what I remember reading about the Ghoul pick, is that he was the only player our scouts agreed on. Each individual scout probably liked somebody better, but Holmgren decided to go with Ghoul just because he was the only player that every scout was okay on. Which just seems lazy to me.

Hextall seems aware of this issue though. He mentioned that, rather than going with the consensus pick in the later rounds, he defers to just one or two scouts that are really high on a particular player and goes with that. We might get a lot of misses this way, but I'm hoping it provides us with more hits than we've had before.

I remember Chris Pryor being interviewed on CSN and he said they picked him because he was most likely to become an NHL player, even if it was only in a 4th line role. I get the thought process, but I sure don't agree with it. If we was picked in the 6th or 7th rnd, ok whatever.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
guys like Goulbourne you can easily find in the 6th and 7th round or sign as a FA post draft. just ridiculous that they took a guy like that in the 3rd round. just like the Klotz pick. just mind blowingly stupid.
if all or a majority of our scouts are ok with drafting guys like this in the 3rd round than that is a problem.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Where are we getting this whole "he wasn't even that high on the draft board" or whatever? This is the first I'm hearing this.

Bjorkstrand was at #51.
Goulbourne was at #72.

They showed the draft board not blurred out by accident on Flight Plan! It was part of the reason Flight Plan was crap from then on... the Flyers got uber-pissed at that being shown, it was a massive **** up... but a great episode! Pretty much all the 1st round and over half the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th could be deciphered.

They also had:

Morin at #6.
Hagg at #25.

Both were BPA going off the draft board when they were picked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad