Tyrell Goulbourne

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
Pardon my ignorance on the subject of Goulbourne. But, I was reading HF's review of the Flyers' prospects and I, of course, came across this young fellow that they drafted in the third round this year. I recall hearing about how it was a reach at the time. Clearly, most still view it as such.

I was wondering if the Flyers' front office ever came out and said why they "reached" on him and selected him 100 picks before central scouting had him going. I know that he's a physical guy with Rinaldo characteristics. But, is that really a reason to take him that high? Did they really think that someone would take him before they had another chance to?

If they said anything or if anyone knows more about him, I would be curious to learn more.

Thanks in advance!

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Pretty sure they said that they thought another team was going to take him before they could pick again.

I think he was one of the players they were targeting going into the draft.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Pardon my ignorance on the subject of Goulbourne. But, I was reading HF's review of the Flyers' prospects and I, of course, came across this young fellow that they drafted in the third round this year. I recall hearing about how it was a reach at the time. Clearly, most still view it as such.

I was wondering if the Flyers' front office ever came out and said why they "reached" on him and selected him 100 picks before central scouting had him going. I know that he's a physical guy with Rinaldo characteristics. But, is that really a reason to take him that high? Did they really think that someone would take him before they had another chance to?

If they said anything or if anyone knows more about him, I would be curious to learn more.

Thanks in advance!

If I remember right. They did not have a 4th round pick and thought he may be gone at 132 in the 5th when they next selected so they really liked him and jumped. He is one of those heart and soul types. The sucker has some skill and can skate and can really bring it with both hands.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
If I remember right. They did not have a 4th round pick and thought he may be gone at 132 in the 5th when they next selected so they really liked him and jumped. He is one of those heart and soul types. The sucker has some skill and can skate and can really bring it with both hands.

And that's all we need, typical Flyers pick.

Let's hope he becomes a Lucic-esque player (a fan can dream) in terms of efficiency and skill instead of a Carcillo clone.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
ASF wrote about him during the summer. A name mentioned in the article as a comparison was Rick Tocchet. I usually don't prefer mentioning players of different eras, but Rinaldo's name has also been used in that way:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678285

Nevertheless, the Flyers decision to draft Tyrell Goulbourne in the third round in the most recent draft has been a lightning rod of sorts on the InterWebs.

Whether it’s a fan blog complaining that the Flyers drafted him too early, or it’s an overtly detailed analysis by a writer comparing him to other available players and claiming it was a misstep by the Flyers, it’s all guess work.

Just like drafting players is guess work. Sure, having scouts watch players for a couple of years in junior hockey – or wherever they are playing when they are draft eligible – makes the guess substantially more educated, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be right.

As a matter of fact, come the third round, often it’s wrong, or at the very least, takes even longer to pan out.

In a previous story, I outlined that there was only a 17 percent success rate for third round picks – within certain parameters – drafted between 2003 and 2008.

So, the vitriol that has emanated about this pick and continues to do so this week is confounding to say the least, but I think I know why.

Had General Manager Paul Holmgren simply described Goulbourne’s game and not compare him to Rinaldo – as he did at the draft – most people would have been none the wiser.

He would have just been a third rounder who skates, kills penalties, competes like the dickens, blocks shots, is a great teammate and will run through a wall for his team – and everyone would have loved the description.

But comparing him to Rinaldo – who was a sixth round pick by the way – leaves many to believe there was more skilled players available at that point in the draft.

Maybe there was, maybe there wasn’t. We won’t know for several years. But here’s what I can tell you: On the Flyers draft board, the team had him rated in the exact spot where they picked him.

I know, I know… teams always say that. They always say they got their guy. But believe me when I tell you, that’s where he was. Those of you who are doubting Thomases still, I will offer video proof on this web site soon (Teaser Alert!)

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I hated the pick at first because it seemed like there were players with more upside available, like Subban (if I recall). But after stepping back, the idea that ANY 3rd round pick makes the NHL is a far shot, and someone with proper attitude and character is a tangible that would help any player succeed. So I actually like this pick know, because even though the player has low upside, he still seems like a guy who could make the 4th line or maybe third line, which is more than most 3rd round picks ever achieve.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
They had Chris Pryor on Philly Sports Talk the evening after the draft and Barkann asked him about that.

To paraphrase, Pryor said that they feel as they get into the later rounds they want guys who will have a better chance of getting into the NHL.

Now I don't agree with that mindset, and I'm sure others don't either. But they'd rather have a grinder who has a 40% chance to make it into the NHL rather than a high potential winger with only a 15% chance to make it to the NHL.

SgtJoseph*

I liked the pick then, and i still like the pick and never viewed it as a " wasted" pick like many do. Anytime you can get an a$$kicker that can skate well, play D well and can score you have a nice piece for your hockey club .Hopefully the NHL will not " evolve " to the point where a player with that skill set is not needed .

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
And that's all we need, typical Flyers pick.

Let's hope he becomes a Lucic-esque player (a fan can dream) in terms of efficiency and skill instead of a Carcillo clone.

He's never going to be anything like Lucic. He's too small and will not score like him either. Hope for a Brandon Prust or Andrew Shaw type.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I liked the pick then, and i still like the pick and never viewed it as a " wasted" pick like many do. Anytime you can get an a$$kicker that can skate well, play D well and can score you have a nice piece for your hockey club .Hopefully the NHL will not " evolve " to the point where a player with that skill set is not needed .

Sure, if you pick that guy in the 6th round.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I still don't like the pick but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. I actually like the kid as a player & he's putting together a nice little season so far. His penalty minutes are down (mainly because he really hasn't fought much so far) & he's a plus player so far.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Looking at Bjorkstrand, Cehlarik, Yakimov, Buchnevich and how good they are doing really makes me hate this pick more with each passing day.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I simply can't believe there was a legitimate reason to believe he would be taken if the Flyers didn't grab him in the 3rd. There has been no indication, anywhere, that shows anybody at all had interest in him. If the Flyers were convinced this guy was a 3rd or 4th round pick it probably only shows they have an obnoxious tendency to overvalue guys like this. It's not the DPE anymore.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Always soothing to know when a player himself is "shocked" at a team valuing them so much..

Even Goulbourne was shocked to be selected 72nd overall in the third round after being ranked the 151st best North American skater available by Central Scouting

I remember when Bobby Clarke gifted a pretty pricey FA contract to Nolan Baumgartner. Baumgartner was quoted as saying he was shocked and humbled he got so much money....yeah I guess so when you suck so bad :laugh: :help:

RJ8812*

TBH, I really don't blame him. Don't understand why he doesn't deserve an ELC and why they're only offering him an AHL contract. I'd rather sign him to an ELC than most of the useless non-drafted players we tend to sign like Andrew Johnston, Maxim Lamarche, Matthew Konan, Kyle Flanagan, Tyler Hostetter, and Tyler Brown

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I wonder what Hextall's input was on this pick if he is only offering him a AHL deal.

Homer use to let the scouts make most of the picks. My guess is they liked him and probably still do. Hextall probably looks at him for what he is; a smallish winger with almost no upside.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
TBH, I really don't blame him. Don't understand why he doesn't deserve an ELC and why they're only offering him an AHL contract. I'd rather sign him to an ELC than most of the useless non-drafted players we tend to sign like Andrew Johnston, Maxim Lamarche, Matthew Konan, Kyle Flanagan, Tyler Hostetter, and Tyler Brown

I think 99.9% of the Phantoms fans would agree that we would take Flanagan, Konan, and maybe Brown over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad