Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Wotherspoon Recalled/Smid on IR (again), Ramo off IR, Shore sent to Addy

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Too bad about Smid but awesome for Wotherspoon. Can definitely see him pulling an Ortio and forcing the team to keep him up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Shore was also sent down while Ramo was taken off IR.

Pressbox is going to have a goalie, a forward and a defensemen to balance things out.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
really excited to see how Tspoon does! I think he's going to improve that bottom pairing

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I just said this morning that I think bringing up TSpoon would be a good idea, lol. And here it is.

Looking forward to seeing him in action!

Trae

Calgary
I don't mind him coming up, but I honestly hope he gets more seasoning in the AHL when we are healthy again, even if he doesn't look out of place. He's only played 86 games in the AHL, which really isn't all that much, it's less than even Brodie played. I think I just want to maximize the potential of our dmen since we have so few higher end prospects in that category.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he needs more seasoning, but it will be cool to get another look at him. He looked very good and poised last year.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Talking to one of the Flames nation guys and he loves this based on last year TSpoon having decent stats with unlying numbers suggesting he was much better than Smid already at that point.

I wish we could have seen Seiloff here as I think he's earned a sniff but both players I think will actually make that bottom pairing better.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't mind him coming up, but I honestly hope he gets more seasoning in the AHL when we are healthy again, even if he doesn't look out of place. He's only played 86 games in the AHL, which really isn't all that much, it's less than even Brodie played. I think I just want to maximize the potential of our dmen since we have so few higher end prospects in that category.

Thirty-five of Brodie's AHL games were because of the lockout - he would have definitely been in the NHL if not for that (played 54 games in Calgary the year before that). Take those games out and Brodie has a total of 80 AHL games to Wotherspoon's 86.

By most accounts, Wotherspoon is NHL ready now. If he plays, and he really should be over Diaz, I'm not going to be the least bit surprised if he sticks the rest of the season. The bottom pairing is good for at least a goal against on most nights - Wotherspoon, even as a rookie, will help mitigate that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really happy to see Wotherspoon again. I don't think Shore was that good in his stint.
C'mon Gillies, it's not fair to say someone wasn't that good during their stint when it was 1 game (his first in the NHL this year) with only 12:26 in TOI with maybe 2 practices with the team under his belt.

Shore was sent down for 1 reason, to free up a roster spot for Ramo who needed to come off IR.

Ortio (and maybe Granlund) will probably be demoted following the game tonight since the Flames do not play again until the 27th. It will allow Ortio to get a game or 2 in on the weekend and participate in the AHL all-star weekend (Jan. 25/26).

Following the AHL all-star game on Monday I expect Shore will be recalled, but there is a chance Ortio could come up instead. Or a chance for both if Granlund is sent down too.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I like that we get to see 'Spooner up, but seeing Smid hurt so often is just obliterating his trade value (what little value there was before).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad