Tyler Toffoli - - Ottawa 67's

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Looking for some insight on this prospect. I know he led the OHL (tied) in scoring last year as a 18 year old. What are his chances of playing with the Kings within the next 2-3 years? Could he see top 6 time playing along side Richards or Kopitar? Will he crack the WJC squad, will he play another year in the OHL?

Thanks

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
All I know is I was screaming for Burke to take him rather than Ross, I told you so Burkie!! Great steal for Kings here, he could certainly be on your top 6 within the next two years.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He has elite hockey instincts. He just knows where to be in the offensive zone and the puck seems to follow him around the ice. He also possesses arguably the best shot in the OHL and maybe the CHL. His onetimer is Heatley-esc in a way.

He just needs to keep improving on his skating. Its gotten better but its still in no way one of his strengths.

And for those who come in and say "he was the product of good linemates" Toffoli's hockey sense and offensive potential have been obvious since he broke in with the 67s, it didn't surprise me he hit 50 goals at all.

I fully expect him to play for Canada in the world juniors this year even If only for his goals on the power play. I think it would be a shame to leave him off the roster.

Toffoli is actually pretty physical aswell, he doesn't mind getting his nose dirty and spends time on the PK too so I dont think hes one of those top OHL scorers who has to be a top 6 forward in the NHL or he wont succeed. He wouldn't look out of place on the bottom 6 to start his career and is a smart enough hockey player to transition to a bottom 6 player if need be.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Everything Derek Plante said is true, but I want to add that I think at times he gets a little too shot-happy. In 2009-10 he was creating more offence, being more aggressive. Some aspects of his game improved last year, but his scoring was at times (at least when I was watching in January/February) more one-dimensional. He'd get comfortable playing Dany Heatley, just getting open and finishing.

At the OHL level he can do that as well as anybody, but if he's going to be a legitimate top two line player at the next level, I think he'll have to get back to being more assertive offensively, and creating more offence. Improvement in terms of skating would help, not just in speed, but balance and agility. He's the opposite of a guy like Logan Couture whose all-round skating was really underrated.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
should make a strong case for 1st or 2nd line on this years WJC team. Great hands and instincts around the net. Should have been a 1st round pick in 2010. Great steal for the kings.

As for when he will be rdy for pro. I feel that if a skilled player will not be getting top 6 minutes he is better suited in the AHL for a year getting top 6 there and adapting to pro hockey.

In all honesty im suprised he wasnt coming to philly in the Richards trade.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
All I know is I was screaming for Burke to take him rather than Ross, I told you so Burkie!! Great steal for Kings here, he could certainly be on your top 6 within the next two years.

Meh, we got McKegg 15 picks later. Both comparable really. So essentially we got a Toffoli like player with our next pick and Ross. Not a huge loss.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Dont know if it was a huge loss but what kind of logic is this ? Both McKegg and Toffoli would not have been nice ?

Well of course it would have been nice but getting both gives the system some depth at different positions. McKegg gives us an offensive player and Ross gave us some potential top 9 but more likely bottom 6 grit we were lacking.

hdtrax

I remember being upset that Burke and his boys passed on Toffoli for Ross. But they're the pros, so I'll leave it to them.

FWIW, I think they place a premium on skating ability when drafting and that may have been why they passed him over.

Afro Thunder*

Ottawa should have picked him and we could have had a Prince Toffoli 67's combo.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Well of course it would have been nice but getting both gives the system some depth at different positions. McKegg gives us an offensive player and Ross gave us some potential top 9 but more likely bottom 6 grit we were lacking.
Well that's why that other Leafs fan probably was screaming for Burke to take Toffoli (Top 6 player) over Ross (Grinder). I think you shouldnt draft a grinder with a 2nd round pick, just because you lack bottom 6 grit, if some offensive gems are still available.

Ross may turn out to be a Wayne Simmonds kind of player or even more and Toffoli another Kyle Wanvig but you get my point. ;)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Well that's why that other Leafs fan probably was screaming for Burke to take Toffoli (Top 6 player) over Ross (Grinder). I think you shouldnt draft a grinder with a 2nd round pick, just because you lack bottom 6 grit, if some offensive gems are still available.

Ross may turn out to be a Wayne Simmonds kind of player or even more and Toffoli another Kyle Wanvig but you get my point. ;)

Well I'm not calling the move Sam Pollock like haha, just saying its not really a terrible move. It may not have been great but at worst it was decent. I do get the point though and it stands.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
Any updates on this kid? How has he looked this year? Is he gonna be ready for the big leagues next year? Any point predictions for next year or prime?

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Any updates on this kid? How has he looked this year? Is he gonna be ready for the big leagues next year? Any point predictions for next year or prime?

he is playing fine...

His issue is his foot speed which is average. He has a lethal accourate shot (by NHL standard) and he has improved defensively and also did PK.

Next stop is the AHL, asuming the Kings aquire a top 6 winger this year and won't be using Tyler on 3rd-4th lines.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
he is playing fine...

His issue is his foot speed which is average. He has a lethal accourate shot (by NHL standard) and he has improved defensively and also did PK.

Next stop is the AHL, asuming the Kings aquire a top 6 winger this year and won't be using Tyler on 3rd-4th lines.

I've heard that for years now and each time I don't know what to say. Guess he'll have to prove the detractors wrong when he makes the NHL.

He's been great. Leading the OHL in scoring again.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think it would take a minor miracle for him to play in the NHL next season. I never like to say anything is "impossible" when talking about propsects. But despite being a fan of Toffoli-the-OHL-scoring-star, I'm not a fan of his NHL potential at the moment. Great hands, but just doesn't have the feet or the intensity to be able to make a quick transition in the pros. I think he's more likely going to be a guy who serves a lengthy minor league apprenticeship, and then by the end of it, it's hit or miss whether he will have taken the necessary steps in his development as a pro to stick in the NHL or whether he becomes another of those classic cases of guys who can pile up numbers at lower levels but can never nail down the same role in the NHL (and can't do anything else well enough in the NHL to stick around either). I hope for the best for him, as a 67's fan, but temper my expectations at the next level. There are several better NHL prospects on the 67's than him IMHO.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
I've heard that for years now and each time I don't know what to say. Guess he'll have to prove the detractors wrong when he makes the NHL.

He's been great. Leading the OHL in scoring again.

The more impressive part is the 36 ES goals he scored this year including 5 SH goals.

M. Richards, Getzlaf and Perry also had questionable foot speed soo I agree with you that it may not be an issue (providing his smart game translates to the NHL).

Also one of the impacts/reasons for Toffolis drafting position was
that the scouts questioned his work ethic and his willingness to play a good two-way game. He has improved greatly in those aspects.

;)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The more impressive part is the 36 ES goals he scored this year including 5 SH goals.
Make that 6, tonight another shorty. Kinda surprising for somebody who is supposed to be slow. Normally these goals are getting scored by fast players. He's definitely not fast but IMO it is not that bad.

Also odd, that he only has a couple of PP goals. Because of his shot, you would think he would score a lot more on the PP.

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Make that 6, tonight another shorty. Kinda surprising for somebody who is supposed to be slow. Normally these goals are getting scored by fast players. He's definitely not fast but IMO it is not that bad.

Also odd, that he only has a couple of PP goals. Because of his shot, you would think he would score a lot more on the PP.

The SH goals aren't very surprising...he's a veteran, so he gets PK time....and he plays on a powerhouse offensive team and especially against bad teams they get scoring chances on the PK. Combine that with the fact that he's the best sniper in the OHL. His shorty today was just an embarrassing effort from league worst Erie's PP defensively.

Killing penalties with Jonathan Toe, err Sean Monahan doesn't hurt either. I'll be surprised if he's ever killing penalties in the NHL. His skating has improved but he'll still be lucky to be an average skater in the NHL. I think a lot of his weaknesses have improved...but to the extent that they aren't expected to be a concern at the next level.

He's gonna score goals though.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The SH goals aren't very surprising...he's a veteran, so he gets PK time....and he plays on a powerhouse offensive team and especially against bad teams they get scoring chances on the PK. Combine that with the fact that he's the best sniper in the OHL.

Killing penalties with Jonathan Toe, err Sean Monahan doesn't hurt either.
I understand he gets PK time yes. Kinda difficult to score SH from the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad