Confirmed with Link: Tyler Toffoli for 1st, 5th, Pitlick, Heineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Dumping Monahan level salary is usually something that happens at the draft/in the summer not mid season. As nice as it would have been to upgrade at center using his cap hit the premium you’d be paying to do so would be huge

For example the price to get Giroux plus sending Monahan’s salary back to Philly would have likely been significantly higher than this. Probably even more for Hertl since it would be the same scenario + divisional premium

Happy with the player happy with the price. Pay to dump Monahan or others in the summer if you need to or flip Toffoli for assets if you’re stuck.

If JG walks we’re not contending anyway but whether or not he comes back has nothing to do with this acquisition

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Toffoli performs like he is supposed to, a 30 goal scorer then it’s a good deal

On the other hand, he could be the next James Neal…..dude is slow enough to be one:naughty:

Reactions: themilosh

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
Is there a possibility the flames can buyout Lucic in the summer and the re-sign him for much cheaper like they did with Stone?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I am honestly not worried about the cap. The causality here may not be Monahan, it might be Mangi. Which would suck, but it's manageable. If you can't move Monahan this offseason, you move Mangi and recoup the assets you paid to get Toffoli. Then you have Pelletier step in next season for Mangi.

I get a bad feeling that 1 of if not both Gaudreau and Chucky have made it clear they won't be signing long term extensions here. Chucky gets moved at the draft for a 1st + and we no longer have a cap issue but our top line takes a massive hit

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just don’t get this trade from a cap point of view. Oh well.

also, the most surprising part of the trade, to me, was that we were paying Pitlick almost 2 million a year

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is there a possibility the flames can buyout Lucic in the summer and the re-sign him for much cheaper like they did with Stone?
I don't see a buyout of Lucic this summer. A buyout will only save the Flames $667,000 in cap space and leave them with a $4.667M dead cap hit. Not much point to it.
Better to just pay him his $4M salary and accept the $5.25M cap hit.

Reactions: themilosh

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm pumped we are actually adding and addressing needs unlike every other season. Other than not playing center toffoli helps solve so many problems we have and fits the sutter philosophy perfectly. I fully expected a #7 D and #13 F. I understand that there are potentially a few centers we could have gone after but 1. We still can although unlikely 2. There is no guarantee they would be willing to come here or get moved

Other than the Avs I think we can hang with any team in the west

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Not bad, paying a first and essentially a second for a guy that was UFA in 2020 and didnt want to come here. Take that Tyler!

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I'm pumped we are actually adding and addressing needs unlike every other season. Other than not playing center toffoli helps solve so many problems we have and fits the sutter philosophy perfectly. I fully expected a #7 D and #13 F. I understand that there are potentially a few centers we could have gone after but 1. We still can although unlikely 2. There is no guarantee they would be willing to come here or get moved

That’s the biggest thing for me. San Jose is apparently pushing hard to re-sign Hertl instead of trading him, and even if he hits the market he has his choice of 3 teams. Pavelski isn’t even playing centre currently and would be more expensive as a pure rental. So our other option was pretty much enter a bidding war for Giroux and accept our 1 in 10-12 chance of getting him, or hope we get the Pavelski consolation prize. Neither would help the team after these playoffs, and both would leave our cupboards significantly emptier. I’ll take Toffoli and probably Pelletier for years after this than a 10% chance at Giroux or Pavelski.

The same people complaining now would’ve been furious when Colorado and say NYR put in offers for those players we can’t come close to matching and we walk away empty handed.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Maybe we can hang with the Avs too, the way the 2013 Bruins beat a stacked Penguins team

Reactions: TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That’s the biggest thing for me. San Jose is apparently pushing hard to re-sign Hertl instead of trading him, and even if he hits the market he has his choice of 3 teams. Pavelski isn’t even playing centre currently and would be more expensive as a pure rental. So our other option was pretty much enter a bidding war for Giroux and accept our 1 in 10-12 chance of getting him, or hope we get the Pavelski consolation prize. Neither would help the team after these playoffs, and both would leave our cupboards significantly emptier. I’ll take Toffoli and probably Pelletier for years after this than a 10% chance at Giroux or Pavelski.

The same people complaining now would’ve been furious when Colorado and say NYR put in offers for those players we can’t come close to matching and we walk away empty handed.

The only complaint I have is I wish we had gotten Eichel but that boat has sailed

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Maybe we can hang with the Avs too, the way the 2013 Bruins beat a stacked Penguins team
I really don't think this Avs team is as scary as the 2020 and 2021 versions. I'm not saying we could easily take them but I wouldn't be surprised if a supposed underdog like the Wild got in their heads and took them out in 6.

They give me regular-season bullies, playoff roadkill vibes

Reactions: Mazatt

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Considering they did that to us I don't think they would suffer the same fate
It's just a gut feeling really. They're a pretty small team and they lost a lot of depth over the summer. I think they'll have some problems against a team with nothing to lose.

Their goaltending is also kinda shakey and I like Kuemper

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's just a gut feeling really. They're a pretty small team and they lost a lot of depth over the summer. I think they'll have some problems against a team with nothing to lose.

Their goaltending is also kinda shakey and I like Kuemper

I agree about goaltending but they haven't even added yet put Giroux on their third line and look out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad