Confirmed with Link: TYLER TOFFOLI AT 50% for 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I hope I'm wrong, but I think the best we'll see from Villardi is about 40 games per season. Too bad, but it seems his body can't hold up.
You are only expecting him to suit up for 2 more games?

Reactions: JetsNut

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Some lunatic on the main boards has posted articles on the "major" TDL additions over the last decade or so. Maybe you can look at those for starters.

If you want to suggest that TDL additions are crucial, try to find a team that went from mediocrity to excellence due to acquiring players at the deadline. Naming teams that were already great isn't proving much of anything.
Well none of the teams making playoff pushes are mediocre.

Also you seem to be confused on the purpose of trade deadline acquisitions. They are there to smooth out the rough edges, shore up areas of weakness or gaps, and make a deeper more resilient team for a grinding playoff push.

Asking someone to find an example of a mediocre team on March 8th that ended the season “excellent” from a few TDL adds is asking for something that doesn’t exist due to the very nature of what the trade dealing is for and who is making trade deadline additions.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Thats how I see it. Perfetti is going to very good but I think this is a developmental and learning year for him. By no means is it a step backwards.

And I agree with you about Barron. He has been my favourite dark horse Jet this year and could legit see potential in him as a top 6 power forward.
I see the same thing with Barron.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
What everybody should understand is that any individual team's chance at the Cup is f***ing terrible, and even in the finals, most match-ups are a total coin flip. You aren't going to fix your team or improve it enough to make a significant difference at the TDL, unless you're changing goaltenders from league worst to league best. Posters claiming that "acquiring XYZ makes the team a contender" are talking out of their asses.

TDL is just empty calories that generate a ton of clicks. Nothing more than that. If you want to win, create a playoff-caliber team in the offseason, employ a good coach, and then hope and pray for no major cold streaks between April and June.
If this is true why do so many GMs spend so many assets every year at the TDL?
Are you saying that all these GMs are wrong?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Maukkis The only Cup winner in the last 5 seasons to not add at the deadline is the '19 Blues. They are an obvious anomaly.

Everyone else added, won, and those additions played huge roles.

2023: Vegas; Barbashev (18 pts in 22 games)
2022: Colorado; Lehkonen (8g + 6a in 20 games incl.an OT winner, sending the Avs to the Final) 2021 + 2020: Tampa Bay; Blake Coleman & Barclay Goodrow (both acquired in 2020... played with Yanni Gourde and were a dominant line in both Cup runs)

Do teams add and not win? Of course. Boston last season is an obvious example. The Jets in 2019. Only 1 team can win so by nature, there will be more examples of TDL "losers" than winners. The fact remains, however, most Cup winners benefit from adding at the TDL.

Suggesting the TDL is a gimmick is ludicrous.

I'd love to see a deep dive into this topic dating back 20 years.

It isn't just that some of the losers also added, practically ALL of the losers also added. The practice is so common that almost ALL winners having added proves nothing. There is no control group to compare too. Looking at the contributions of the added players is similarly inconclusive. You can't know what the guys who would have played instead might have done.

Looking at the results to evaluate the practice would requite running an experiment for, say 50 years, where the contending teams are divided into 2 groups. One is allowed to add and the other is not. Compare the results. Also track the number of times teams that add vs those that do not are able to repeat as contenders in order to track the effects of the prices paid for rentals.

:laugh:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It isn't just that some of the losers also added, practically ALL of the losers also added. The practice is so common that almost ALL winners having added proves nothing. There is no control group to compare too. Looking at the contributions of the added players is similarly inconclusive. You can't know what the guys who would have played instead might have done.

Looking at the results to evaluate the practice would requite running an experiment for, say 50 years, where the contending teams are divided into 2 groups. One is allowed to add and the other is not. Compare the results. Also track the number of times teams that add vs those that do not are able to repeat as contenders in order to track the effects of the prices paid for rentals.

:laugh:
You'd also have to include the end value of the draft picks and prospects being given up in return, and the chance of rentals re-signing and becoming longer term players.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You'd also have to include the end value of the draft picks and prospects being given up in return, and the chance of rentals re-signing and becoming longer term players.

That's covered in my last sentence. I think. :laugh:

Best way to re-sign them is to win the cup.

Also the best way to make me WANT to re-sign them. And the best way to make them to expensive too re-sign. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and Deno

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
That's covered in my last sentence. I think. :laugh:

Also the best way to make me WANT to re-sign them. And the best way to make them to expensive to re-sign
That is the enigma of winning a cup.
Players want to re-sign because they like winning but they also want to be paid so they become too expensive to re-sign. Which is why I think Oilers, Islanders, Hab type dynasties are now impossible in todays NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If this is true why do so many GMs spend so many assets every year at the TDL?
Are you saying that all these GMs are wrong?

GM’s aren’t necessarily wrong but I think the main reason they add at the deadline is not because it increases their already slim odds of winning a cup. I doubt it changes the betting math by more than 1/10 of a %. They make the move/moves for job security because:

They feel pressure to signal to the owner that they are making moves to win now and sell tickets.They feel pressure from their stars and vets who have no problem throwing their lesser teammates under the bus to win now.
They feel pressure from the fans to DO SOMETHING CHEVY (insert every other fan base to their playoff GM too).
Give the people what they want to throw shade on the loss.

Add a few pieces to cover your ass at a minimum and maybe even win a round.

Never underestimate pier pressure effect, and job security when you are getting paid multi million dollar a year contracts.

Not being cynical at all because you do not want to be the GM who stood pat and his teams got bounced in the first round.

Last edited:

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
GM’s aren’t necessarily wrong but I think the main reason they add at the deadline is not because it increases their already slim odds of winning a cup. I doubt it changes the betting math by more than 1/10 of a %. They make the move/moves for job security because:

They feel pressure to signal to the owner that they are making moves to win now and sell tickets
They feel pressure from their stars and vets who have no problem throwing their lesser teammates under the bus to win now
They feel pressure from the fans to DO SOMETHING CHEVY (insert every other fan base to their playoff GM too)
Give the people what they want to throw shade on the loss.

Add a few pieces to cover your ass at a minimum and maybe even win a round.

Never underestimate pier pressure effect, and job security when you are getting paid multi million dollar a year contracts.

Not being cynical at all because you do not want to be the GM who stood pat and his teams got bounced in the first round.
As fans we are on the outside looking in. We have no real idea what it is like being a GM in the NHL. What I do know is when a GMs adds good players to a already good team the first thing the players of that team say is they love that management is investing in them. Are TDL acquisitions more of a message to the players that management is all in so the act of acquiring new players is as much a phycological move for the team moral instead of a actual move to better the team?

Reactions: Luc Labelle

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As fans we are on the outside looking in. We have no real idea what it is like being a GM in the NHL. What I do know is when a GMs adds good players to a already good team the first thing the players of that team say is they love that management is investing in them. Are TDL acquisitions more of a message to the players that management is all in so the act of acquiring new players is as much a phycological move for the team moral instead of a actual move to better the team?

It’s one of elements for sure. Chevy told Helly and Mark when they committed the org wants to win. Players have done their part so far this season so it was Kevin’s turn. I think they made a similar commitment to Blake when he extended. It’s become table stakes for GM’s with good teams in the playoffs. Whether it leads to a championship or not you have to commit at some level to rentals.

Chevy is pretty masterful at finding the balance to not be too frivolous. On most seasons where we barely sneak in he doesn’t tend to blow high picks for pure rentals. He’s more apt to try to get term or at lease use non 1st round picks.

This season Chevy is obviously all in on this team which is fine because this level of win now assets is pretty much a one off event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad