Waived: Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Steve Pinizzotto and Keith Aulie [All Clear]

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Of course Pitlick cleared...he isn't an NHL player and can't score in the AHL

another failed 2nd rounder from Stu...to go along with Lander, Musil, and Hamilton

Moroz and Roy have chances to prove otherwise but we've gotta be the worst at picking in the 2nd round in the league

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe because they are fans of his?

Players like Pitlick clear all the time. Hell, players better than Pitlick clear sometimes.

There was this freak out for some reason around here that Pitlick was going to get claimed and I never understood why.

The freak out from Acton making the final cut and Marincin being sent down made more sense IMO even though that was an overreaction as well (with myself being one of the guilty).

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Yeah, I would of been shocked if any team entertained the idea of claiming an Edmonton Oiler developed fringe player off waivers

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The people saying risking Pit is no big deal are out to lunch.

Good teams win cups not just a flashy top 6. Pitlick could end up being a great depth player home grown and about 3 times cheaper than signing a UFA to do what he can. Skate and hit and shoot.

Cap world developing guys like Pitlick is very Important.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Good teams win cups not just a flashy top 6. Pitlick could end up being a great depth player home grown and about 3 times cheaper than signing a UFA to do what he can. Skate and hit and shoot.

Players don't just magically develop hockey sense, puck skills and a mean streak.

There's countless players outside the NHL with Pitlick's skill set.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

You seem to have a habit of making hyperbolic statements in regards to Arco, Marincin and now Pitlick. Pitlick isn't very important in any system. You're talking about an oft injured, average AHL player who has yet to stick in the NHL.

Teams have tons of these guys in their AHL system nevermind NHL system. Pitlick is nothing but depth at this point so if the Oilers had lost him, it would be no big deal. Nice to have around but easily replaceable.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van

30 teams just said different. The other 29 teams have their own fringe players to consider and an Oiler castoff isn't likely to leap ahead of any of them.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Even though Pitlick had to clear waivers to go down to the AHL doesn't mean he was ready for the NHL.

Extra time in the AHL hasn't hurt anyone. If Pitlick is to reach the lofty expectations of some on this board, he needs more playing time. He'd be sitting in the pressbox had he "made" the Oilers. He won't be in OKC.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The arguments on this thread pretty much ignored everything I posted and just put their own spin on the conversation.

Every team having players like Pitlick, doesn't devalue Pitlick. If anything it shows exactly how important these types of players are.

I am not even sure if anyone has been claimed off waivers yet. Doesn't mean the player is useless and will never amount to anything. Just silly to even suggest that. Detroit wouldn't have a roster if that was the case.

Last edited:

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pitlick is better then Acton and that is the move the confuses me

Why? Its about role. Does Pitlick PK or win faceoffs or play defensive centre?

No. Its not Acton vs Pitlick.

Its Pitlick vs Joensuu vs Pinozotto.

Joensuu won.

Acton was battling Lander, Yakimov etc to be the 5th line centre role and penalty killer. That's something that Pitlick doesn't do. At all.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Has Pitlick ever fought? I know he lays the body well but I can't see him getting into a dust up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If Pit is such an important piece how come none of the good teams close to the cap took him and his relatively cheap contract?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Of course Pitlick cleared...he isn't an NHL player and can't score in the AHL

another failed 2nd rounder from Stu...to go along with Lander, Musil, and Hamilton

Moroz and Roy have chances to prove otherwise but we've gotta be the worst at picking in the 2nd round in the league

yeah stu isn't a good head scout, no doubt about that anymore... he has picked exactly one home run (eberle), and arguably he has hit a couple doubles (to keep the baseball metaphor going) with marincin and klefbom... the other picks that he gets credit for were #1 overall picks... there are numerous whif-picks, such as pitlick, musil, lander, hamilton and moroz ... all of those picks were in the top-50, so its not like i'm picking on him for missing picks in the 3rd+ rounds.... those rounds are such crap-shoots that you can't be blamed for always missing, although i would argue that its odd that he hasn't produced one single NHLer since 2008 in those later rounds, not one

how stu still has a job is beyond me

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
hits don't equate into wins, this has been proven time and time again.... but you know what produces even less wins? fighting

Have you ever read this article? https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/nhl/department-hockey-analytics-hits-equals-wins-2

More hits do equal more wins provided you have similair possession numbers.

joestevens said:
If Pit is such an important piece how come none of the good teams close to the cap took him and his relatively cheap contract?
I think most teams like us apparently see him as someone who needs more development time, they can't pick him up and send him down without giving us a chance to claim him back. All it really says is no other team thinks he is a better NHL player then what they presently have in their system. I agree with Aerchon that good affordable depth is very important to have, good teams need to have some cheap contracts to fill out the bottom half of their roster who can still play NHL hockey. You tend not to go very far paying players like Boyd Gordon $3 million or Matt Hendricks $1.85 million to play on your 4th line. If you prove to be a good team for a long time and are a desirable destination sometimes you can get good UFA's to sign really cheap for you e.g. Brad Richards or like Detroit having a hall of fame 4th line with Robitaille and Hull; but in current general practice Chicago and Boston have remained relevant because of good cheap depth surrounding their stars whereas the Pens have been starting to struggle due to a lack of quality depth despite still boasting top end talent.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm just blown away that people would be afraid Pitlick could be claimed on waivers.

What's his upside? A peak-era Ethan Moreau with worse hands?

I have to agree with ya. He throws an excellent hit against Vancouver and now he is number 1 prospect. People need to wake up. If he stays up, he is in the press box. Is that good for development? Cmon people!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
It's like Ave Man said. MacT as well. It was a positional decision.

Not sure if you listen to the press conference with MacT, but he stated that a couple of decisions were positional, and has nothing to do with players that were sent down. He made it fairly clear that players like Khaira and Pitlick had great camps, and they would be knocking on the NHL door soon.

You gotta admit, there were a few tough decisions to make at the end of this pre season.

That's a good thing.

You're correct, it's absolutely a positional decision. Acton's position: coaching staff family member, Pitlick's position: no connections. Even if it was by position, Acton shouldn't be making it over a player like Yakimov who quite clearly outplayed him. This was not a decision based on merit.
Ya, I don't have so much issue with Acton as I do with Joensuu. They need a guy who's versatile and can sit in the PB. Rather him than any youngster. But Joensuu did not outplay either of Pinizzotto or Pitlick in any meaningful way. To lose Joensuu would be fine. To lose Pitlick in order to keep Joensuu and then see Pitlick turn into a useful NHLer would be infuriating though.

Joensuu made the team by playing well in the pre-season and training camp. No matter how hard he melts down during the year, he absolutely deserves his spot. Acton not so much.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You're correct, it's absolutely a positional decision. Acton's position: coaching staff family member, Pitlick's position: no connections. Even if it was by position, Acton shouldn't be making it over a player like Yakimov who quite clearly outplayed him. This was not a decision based on merit.

You would prefer Yakimov in the pressbox?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
You would prefer Yakimov in the pressbox?

No. Judging by this particular poster's history, it would seem that he has some sort of vendetta against the Actons. Lots of people here can't seem to look past the fact that his father is an assistant coach and look at this objectively. If that were not the situation, I feel a lot more people here wouldn't mind him. He's a serviceable guy with a great attitude and work ethic from what I've seen. I personally think it's a waste of time to be *****ing incessantly over press box fodder.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
yeah stu isn't a good head scout, no doubt about that anymore... he has picked exactly one home run (eberle), and arguably he has hit a couple doubles (to keep the baseball metaphor going) with marincin and klefbom... the other picks that he gets credit for were #1 overall picks... there are numerous whif-picks, such as pitlick, musil, lander, hamilton and moroz ... all of those picks were in the top-50, so its not like i'm picking on him for missing picks in the 3rd+ rounds.... those rounds are such crap-shoots that you can't be blamed for always missing, although i would argue that its odd that he hasn't produced one single NHLer since 2008 in those later rounds, not one

how stu still has a job is beyond me

I think that every 1st round pick that Stu has made has been absolutely the right choice. Eberle, MPS, Hall, RNH, Klefbom, Yakupov, Nurse and Draisaitl. His second round picks, minus Marincin and possibly Moroz has been horrible. One thing you have to give Stu credit for is his picks in rounds 3 to 7, some absolutely amazing picks. Hartikainen, Pelss, Simpson, Reider, Gernat, Khairi, Yamimov, Slepyshev and Chase all look like they will play a few NHL games. Round 4 to 7 in this past draft already looks like a disaster though.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I think that every 1st round pick that Stu has made has been absolutely the right choice. Eberle, MPS, Hall, RNH, Klefbom, Yakupov, Nurse and Draisaitl. His second round picks, minus Marincin and possibly Moroz has been horrible. One thing you have to give Stu credit for is his picks in rounds 3 to 7, some absolutely amazing picks. Hartikainen, Pelss, Simpson, Reider, Gernat, Khairi, Yamimov, Slepyshev and Chase all look like they will play a few NHL games. Round 4 to 7 in this past draft already looks like a disaster though.

his first round picks were so close to the top sans eberle that its hard to screw up, Musil and Pitlick were both picks that were 1 pick removed from the first round. there was concensus 1-3 guys there we could have picked ala boone jenner but we didnt. boone jenners dad didnt play for the oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad