Value of: Tyler Myers

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think Myers gets 7M, simply because he hasn't been the Jets top 3 defenseman, more than for a brief period maybe. Since Morrissey became what he is Myers has been the #4 in terms of ice time.

There's also no untapped potential, what you see is what you get. I don't think the bidding war for Myers will be fierce enough to push it to 7M.

But something in the 6 range makes sense. 6'8", capable of playing 20 mins, 30 points. I think a team light on D might offer 6.5M, but i'd expect that will scare many teams off to look elsewhere.

If Zaitsev is 'worth' 5 years at 4.5m I don't see how Myers doesn't get at least 7m over 7 years

I don't think Zaitsev is a good comparable. Leafs signed him to that hoping he's going to take steps forward as he gets more comfortable in the league. Myers is a 29 year old defenseman and no one should realistically expect to get anything more than an okay 2nd pairing dman. Is that worth 7M these days? I wouldn't think so, but i guess you never know.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Tyler Myers is so polarizing and is the Jekyll and Hyde type of player.

Some nights, you see him when he's on and he can be very, very good.

Other nights, he's capable of sinking a back end. Add some untimely penalties and he can be very frustrating Most teams have a top 4 player like that on their back end so it's be status quo for most.

Tbh, when Jets trade Trouba, unless getting a RHD back(which is unlikely), they may have no choice but to sign him. Otherwise, you're running the risk of overpaying in free agency and it's no sure thing someone suitable could fill that void.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If the Leafs could acquire Myers, that would be a great offseason move for them. (**Philippe)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad