Tyler Myers

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Seems kinda obvious to me:

Myers not working as hard away from the game, particularly in the off-season, as he needs to be.

Part of the reason for that may be the early success he's achieved. Nothing like success to kill off the eye of the tiger. Add to that a cool $10 mil payout last summer with an extended off-season, and you have yourself a rather unprepared and unmotivated young D-man.

Look at Stafford. I remember the summer before his banner year he was reported to have really worked hard to stay in shape, etc. Yes, it was his contract year, so he had that motivation to hit the ice running right from the start. Paid off too. He got his fat contract...followed by a big dropoff in his play.

Tyler Myers needs the right people around him IN THE OFFSEASON, to get his ass to the gym and on the ice. He does that and you'll see a much more effective player come next season.

Somebody rent him "ROCKY III"

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
So weak mentally. All the tools are there, just so damn weak mentally.

Agreed - unfortunately, it's also much harder to change that than it is to change some physical weakness or shortcoming.

He needs to do some intense training like Cody did last offseason.

Being a better conditioned athlete might help but it's not a given that his mindset believes in making that kind of commitment. Myers seemed to dismiss any notions of what most observers saw - that he was out of shape to begin with. Sure, the injury in Europe hampered his training but he got off to a slow start when he went to Europe during the lockout.

His skating and mobility hasn't been as good since his rookie year - probably because he admittedly started trying to take on more weight in order to become a physical defender. Somewhere along the line, his head got messed up about what he wanted to be.

I'm willing to give him another season. I don't think the lockout did him any favors. Hopefully he takes his off season seriously.

I don't know - he's got 4 years under his belt as an NHL pro and 3 of them have been seasons of colossal disappointment. It's becoming more likely that the rookie year was the fluke rather than the last 3 seasons being "off-years".

If the Sabres can land another young defenseman capable of being a # 1 (i.e. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Victor Hedman) by giving Myers up, I hope the Sabres consider it.

Maybe a Jay Bo type career. Could be a #1 in his career but could also be a 2/3 guy.

Fair comparison - I would also toss Roman Hamrlik into the mix as someone highly-touted with a great rookie year followed by mediocre results thereafter.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I don't know - he's got 4 years under his belt as an NHL pro and 3 of them have been seasons of colossal disappointment. It's becoming more likely that the rookie year was the fluke rather than the last 3 seasons being "off-years".

Since when are a 37 pt season, and a 23 pt season in which he only played 55 games, colossal disappointments? Yeah he didn't have a season like his rookie year, but in that season he was also parters with Tallinder, who covered up for his lapses defensively and let him play a looser game. Give the kid a chance, if he's done it once, he's able to do it again. Once they find him a good partner, he'll flourish again.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007

If the Sabres can land another young defenseman capable of being a # 1 (i.e. Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Victor Hedman) by giving Myers up, I hope the Sabres consider it.

Exactly. With bigger expectations there have to be way better results of the player and what Myers has presented the last few years was just awful, especially the last and this campaign. :(

BrooklynBuffaloFan

Feb 3, 2010
Brooklyn
Since when are a 37 pt season, and a 23 pt season in which he only played 55 games, colossal disappointments? Yeah he didn't have a season like his rookie year, but in that season he was also parters with Tallinder, who covered up for his lapses defensively and let him play a looser game. Give the kid a chance, if he's done it once, he's able to do it again. Once they find him a good partner, he'll flourish again.

Exactly. Over hs first 3 seasons, his per-82 averages were 11 goals, 30 assists and 14 power play pts. Even if you toss out his rookie year, you get an average per 82 games of 11 goals, 25 assists and 13 power play pts. Plus the Sabres played at about a 95-point pace with him in the lineup. This year, if it was an 82 game season: 7g, 9a, 7 pp pts and the Sabres are playing at a 75-point pace. To me this is not a coincidence and it amazes me that the correlation hasn't been seen. The difference between having a 22-minute defenseman who gets 36 points and a plus rating vs. a 20-or-less guy who gets 16 pts and is a minus-- not to mention half his power play pts--certainly could account for the big disappointment this year. What shocks me is that no one is really picking up the correlation when it really may be that simple.

You must've missed Sullivan's article from a couple weeks ago :laugh:

Ha, I do remember that now--but there hasn't been a true realization of how bad he's been and how that's affected the team.

Maybe he is a mental case, I just hope it's not irredeemable---otherwise this will be an even longer rebuild while we once again search for that guy.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Exactly. With bigger expectations there have to be way better results of the player and what Myers has presented the last few years was just awful, especially the last and this campaign. :(

Sadly, now Myers' contract will probably become the obstacle that so many past underachievers had.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Sadly, now Myers' contract will probably become the obstacle that so many past underachievers had.

That could be a big factor, I mean which team wants a player with a 5.5 million cap hit who is actually playing really really bad for a long stretch now. :cry:

Deleted member 27798

There are TEN MILLION reasons why Myers is screwed up from a mental perspective.

Maybe next time Pegula/Regier should think twice before handing out excessive signing bonuses/contracts.

pyroxen

Feb 26, 2013
Ah and congrats to Tyler, as of April 5th he is Austrian Hockey Champion :handclap:

Go KAC :nod:

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
IMO he has looked much, much better the last half dozen or so games.

He either plays timid and make a lot of mistakes, or he plays an aggressive chance taking game and makes a few but balances that with a lot of offensive zone time / pressure / chances.

Pair him with a D first / solid skater, and let Myers attack and put pressure from the backend on the opposing team. He has looked really good on the rush lately.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Ah and congrats to Tyler, as of April 5th he is Austrian Hockey Champion :handclap:

Go KAC :nod:

Exactly :handclap: I totally forgot, but it's true.

That counts for at least one Norris trophy + a Stanley cup. Still anyone out there calling him an underachiever? :sarcasm:

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Btw. any idea why he still isn't paired with Sekera, yet, anyone?

He totally turned it around after Tallinder left as soon as he was paired with Rej iirc. Considering the steps forward Sekera has taken ever since, it seems like natural fit, no?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Its almost like Myers should just focus on getting in elite shape as opposed to gaining mass.

This has been my opinion the last few seasons. When he gained mass the sophomore year it appeared to effect his skating speed. His rookie year he was FAST. And that much reach gave him the ability to be wherever he wanted to be, and influence all the plays.

The fact he has significantly better second half of seasons supports this position. As the season wears on; he loses body mass and gets closer to smooth skating size.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Btw. any idea why he still isn't paired with Sekera, yet, anyone?

I totally agree, the results of Myers-Ehrhoff were okay the last couple of games but putting two offensive minded D-man in one pairing isn't really something that makes sense imo. With that you're limiting the offensive possibilities of either Myers or Ehrhoff because one of them has to secure the point and can't pinch.
With that being said, Myers' pinching is still sometimes over aggressive and doesn't really leads to anything.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I totally agree, the results of Myers-Ehrhoff were okay the last couple of games but putting two offensive minded D-man in one pairing isn't really something that makes sense imo. With that you're limiting the offensive possibilities of either Myers or Ehrhoff because one of them has to secure the point and can't pinch.
With that being said, Myers' pinching is still sometimes over aggressive and doesn't really leads to anything.

Myers' pinching has never been the issue. It's his poor decision making in the d zone.

I like putting he and Ehrhoff together. Ehrhoff is incredibly good at defending odd man rushes. If Myers gets caught, Christian is there as a safety net. They've looked well lately. Furthermore, they're the guys on the back end now. For the next eight years, they'll be manning the point. Let them play together and develop into a well-rounded top pair.

Both played over 25 minutes last night and played damn well.

Bosswally

Aug 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
Myers just needs time to mature, people forget how young he is, Chara didn't make the NHL until he was Myers current age and also he wasn't any good until he was 25, just give him time and let him mature, though I do agree he needs to work out with the guy Hodgson worked out with last summer

Sentrix

May 4, 2012
Buffalo, NY
It took Pominville being traded for it to happen, but he's finally on the left point on the 1st PP.
Can only help, IMO.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
If Myers struggling is an assist and a +1 in over 25 minutes of ice time then we are in good shape. The real test will be how he starts next season. If he plays like a tire fire again than i'll be concerned to say the least.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If Myers struggling is an assist and a +1 in over 25 minutes of ice time then we are in good shape. The real test will be how he starts next season. If he plays like a tire fire again than i'll be concerned to say the least.

Yup. He had a very good game last night. What Buffalo needs him to do is play like that more often. As has already been beaten to death, I think a big part of it is needing a change in his off-season training. Less focus on adding mass, more focus on cardio and explosiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad