Tyler Myers

BrooklynBuffaloFan

Feb 3, 2010
Brooklyn
Say what you want about this year, but to me it keeps coming back to the fact that this guy has gone from at least a solid top-pairing defenseman (and at times clearly elite) to someone who looks like he should be in the minors--and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

What's weird to me is that it seems like people have stopped talking about him entirely--I turn on WGR and I don't hear him mentioned, he doesn't come up in Gleason's screeds, I don't see him discussed much on here or other boards. But so many things---the awful defensive zone coverage, the power play, physicality--can be solved by this guy turning it on.

Do you think he turns it around? Could he be traded? He's such an interesting player to discuss. It's not just that he's fallen from elite to just good or even average--he's been legitimately terrible. It's funny--if his career had gone backwards, it would make sense, but how could anyone anticipate this kind of drop off?

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I'm willing to give him another season. I don't think the lockout did him any favors. Hopefully he takes his off season seriously.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think he becomes the #1 some thought he'd be or still want him to be, but since he have time, we may as well let him see if he can sort things out under a new coach.
In my mind, if things go well, he becomes an effective second pairing puck mover (an important thing to note is that "puck mover" is not a synonym for "offensive defenseman") that is a tad overpaid but has some tools (size and skating combination) that few others have.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't think he becomes the #1 some thought he'd be or still want him to be, but since he have time, we may as well let him see if he can sort things out under a new coach.
In my mind, if things go well, he becomes an effective second pairing puck mover (an important thing to note is that "puck mover" is not a synonym for "offensive defenseman") that is a tad overpaid but has some tools (size and skating combination) that few others have.

You mean that EVERYONE thought he'd be? He was a no. 1 as a 19 year old getting 23+ mins a night. There was no reason to believe he would be anything less.

MGIII

Legendary
Jun 3, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You mean that EVERYONE thought he'd be? He was a no. 1 as a 19 year old getting 23+ mins a night. There was no reason to believe he would be anything less.

While there is more doubt than there was two season's ago, I still think Myers has a high ceiling, and is more likely to reach it than to drastically come short.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Except that it was a single season in which he wildly exceeded expectations and upside is not entirely determined by performance.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Statisticaly his numbers look a lot like Scott Niedermayer's. Both drop off as 22,23 year olds. It's good that he's inked to long term deal. He's going to be a beast in 3 years and even better in 5.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe a Jay Bo type career. Could be a #1 in his career but could also be a 2/3 guy.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Maybe a Jay Bo type career. Could be a #1 in his career but could also be a 2/3 guy.
This is actually a good comparison, although Bouwmeester is much more physically fit.
He can long big minutes with minimal fatigue, while Myers at this point often seems to fall victim to fatigue.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This is actually a good comparison, although Bouwmeester is much more physically fit.
He can long big minutes with minimal fatigue, while Myers at this point often seems to fall victim to fatigue.

Its almost like Myers should just focus on getting in elite shape as opposed to gaining mass.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think his main issue is he concentrated too hard on playing a game that wasn't suited for him. We all thought it was cool when we had "mean Myers" and he was roughing people up, but that's just not his game. You can probably send some blame Lindy's way for trying to get him to be Mr. Everything in his second year, but it just looks like his confidence just got blown up because he was trying to do too much. I refuse to believe the kid just flat out forgot how to play the game after his rookie season. Have him come back to camp next season in shape (AKA not bigger than he's used to being in an effort to rough people up) and tell him to play the game he played his whole career up until his sophomore year.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think his main issue is he concentrated too hard on playing a game that wasn't suited for him. We all thought it was cool when we had "mean Myers" and he was roughing people up, but that's just not his game. You can probably send some blame Lindy's way for trying to get him to be Mr. Everything in his second year, but it just looks like his confidence just got blown up because he was trying to do too much. I refuse to believe the kid just flat out forgot how to play the game after his rookie season. Have him come back to camp next season in shape (AKA not bigger than he's used to being in an effort to rough people up) and tell him to play the game he played his whole career up until his sophomore year.

Agree.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Say what you want about this year, but to me it keeps coming back to the fact that this guy has gone from at least a solid top-pairing defenseman (and at times clearly elite) to someone who looks like he should be in the minors--and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

What's weird to me is that it seems like people have stopped talking about him entirely--I turn on WGR and I don't hear him mentioned, he doesn't come up in Gleason's screeds, I don't see him discussed much on here or other boards. But so many things---the awful defensive zone coverage, the power play, physicality--can be solved by this guy turning it on.

Do you think he turns it around? Could he be traded? He's such an interesting player to discuss. It's not just that he's fallen from elite to just good or even average--he's been legitimately terrible. It's funny--if his career had gone backwards, it would make sense, but how could anyone anticipate this kind of drop off?

You must've missed Sullivan's article from a couple weeks ago :laugh:

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
It's definitely disappointing to see Myers regress while other young guys like Subban and OEL jump to elite status.

It wouldn't be as bad if we weren't paying him #1 money, but he's got a big contract which is going to bring a lot of criticism his way.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Statisticaly his numbers look a lot like Scott Niedermayer's. Both drop off as 22,23 year olds. It's good that he's inked to long term deal. He's going to be a beast in 3 years and even better in 5.

yeah, i'm not even close to panicking. the entire team was a shambles. Myers will be fine.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It's definitely disappointing to see Myers regress while other young guys like Subban and OEL jump to elite status.

It wouldn't be as bad if we weren't paying him #1 money, but he's got a big contract which is going to bring a lot of criticism his way.

Put Myers next to Markov and he'd look amazing also. As soon as they partner him with a competent stay at home defenseman to let him play to his strengths he'll look like a top pairing defenseman again.

nate1988

Apr 4, 2013
Denver, CO
I still think if we pick up a new coach this offseason, and somebody who isn't as hard on him as Ruff was I think will do the kid wonders. Give him an offseason to prove something, come back in shape and ready to go with a fresh attitude, fresh coach (hopefully someone not breathing down his neck) and let's see how he plays then. I have a feeling he will turn things around, but he definitely isn't mentally ready I guess. Needs to be way less fragile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad