Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They need to buy out Hamonic & move on from Brannstrom, he's too weak defensively & doesn't bring enough offensively & Kleven is ready to take his spot on the roster. Bring in a bigger tougher vet to play with Kleven & we know what kind of player Staois is looking for given the rumour was he wanted a player like Tanev RD.

Reactions: Golden_Jet and bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brannstrom. 25 in September. 265+ NHL games. 350+ professional games. A puck mover to Kleven's stay at home.

There's your vet
I would be ok with that at the right price, but remember, we have Hamonic and JBD signed next year, and people want to add a top 4 RHD (though that's likely at the expense of one of Chabot or Chychrun),

Lots of people want big changes after the way this season has gone, there's only so many you can make and still fit it under the cap.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I would be ok with that at the right price, but remember, we have Hamonic and JBD signed next year, and people want to add a top 4 RHD (though that's likely at the expense of one of Chabot or Chychrun),

Lots of people want big changes after the way this season has gone, there's only so many you can make and still fit it under the cap.
IMO, if Branny keeps up his solid play through the end of the season, showing he is capable of an expanded role, he has a good chance of coming back and used as a trade piece next year.

He has really been jumping up the last 5ish games and the last 2 he seems to have a full green light. He has looked very good.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

The only way we get the RHD is with one of those LHDs gone.

I think what's really at issue here is whether Staois wants to tweak the roster or move out a significant asset or two. And I guess we're not in the room so we don't know that. Staois sure plays his cards close to his chest. I haven't seen anything that suggests which way he's leaning.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'm sure we will try to keep Brannstrom, not so sure we will give him a QO though. There are a lot of big decisions to make this summer and you don't want Brannstrom at $2-3m preventing you from adding an impact piece.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Can't imagine keeping Brannchise unless he's okay to extend at his current contract for another year. Wish PD had signed Brannstrom to two years $1.4-7 million the way TML did with Liljegren

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who on this defence deserves to stay for next yr?
Sanderson LD - he has been outstanding again & clearly a top pairing D
Zub RD - probably Ottawa's best defensive defenceman & a right shot D
Kleven LD - he's big, he's mobile, he hits, fights, wins board battles & brings the intangibles this defence is lacking
JBD RD - has gotten better with every game, not much offence, but his defenisve play keeps improving & he's a right shot
Chabot LD - not sure if Chabot deserves to still be here over Chychrun, but my guess is the org prefers Chabot

Who should be moved out?
Brannstrom LD - too small, too soft, too weak, gets dominated defensively & not enough offence
Hamonic RD - IMO he has aged out of the NHL & his play just doesn't justify keeping him, likely will get bought out
Chychrun LD - with these 3 gone that's $7.7 mil out the door to entice a good RD to come to Ott & play in the top 4.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Who on this defence deserves to stay for next yr?
Sanderson LD - he has been outstanding again & clearly a top pairing D
Zub RD - probably Ottawa's best defensive defenceman & a right shot D
Kleven LD - he's big, he's mobile, he hits, fights, wins board battles & brings the intangibles this defence is lacking
JBD RD - has gotten better with every game, not much offence, but his defenisve play keeps improving & he's a right shot
Chabot LD - not sure if Chabot deserves to still be here over Chychrun, but my guess is the org prefers Chabot

Who should be moved out?
Brannstrom LD - too small, too soft, too weak, gets dominated defensively & not enough offence
Hamonic RD - IMO he has aged out of the NHL & his play just doesn't justify keeping him, likely will get bought out
Chychrun LD - with these 3 gone that's $7.7 mil out the door to entice a good RD to come to Ott & play in the top 4.
I just don’t like the idea of a kleven jbd bottom pairing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
IMO, if Branny keeps up his solid play through the end of the season, showing he is capable of an expanded role, he has a good chance of coming back and used as a trade piece next year.

He has really been jumping up the last 5ish games and the last 2 he seems to have a full green light. He has looked very good.
He has looked better but he has done this a few times at the end of the season the last couple of years. My problem is his price tag as a bottom pairing d.

If he is willing to sign a 3 year deal at 1.5 per I'd be ok with extending him. This is all under the assumption one of Chychrun or Chabot is dealt. I do think playing with stay at home like Kleven does help him. He Plays to his strengths and has a heavy partner capable of clearing the crease, disrupting the cycle and clogging up the neutral zone. It's no surprise the best he has looked was with Kleven and Zub.

Reactions: OD99 and aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's a pretty easy decision to keep Brannstrom, unless he's asking for too much.

He's not the ideal defenseman to have playing come playoff time, but we're not in the position to be picky yet. Have to establish ourselves as a playoff team first and Brannstrom helps with that.

Can play either side and would be great insurance if Kleven ends up needing more time or if Chabot/Chychrun (whoever stays) can't stay healthy.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - ????????
Kleven - Brannstrom
JBD

Add a 2nd pairing defensive RD to that group + a competent head coach with a strong defensive system and we'll be set on defense now and in the future.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He has looked better but he has done this a few times at the end of the season the last couple of years. My problem is his price tag as a bottom pairing d.

If he is willing to sign a 3 year deal at 1.5 per I'd be ok with extending him. This is all under the assumption one of Chychrun or Chabot is dealt. I do think playing with stay at home like Kleven does help him. He Plays to his strengths and has a heavy partner capable of clearing the crease, disrupting the cycle and clogging up the neutral zone. It's no surprise the best he has looked was with Kleven and Zub.

He should have been signed to a 2 year deal instead of giving that to Hamonic. That was yet another head scratcher from the dark days. I don't think $2M is much at all in an ~$85M cap world. $1.5 is obviously better but 2 million is nothing nowadays. A 20 point (just about all ES) D who is +5 on the season, regardless of deployment and/or sheltering, is worth $2M.

Brannstrom has his flaws but obviously he'll play better with Zub. He's the most reliable player we have. Him and Kleven have looked pretty decent together as well. Might be a good bottom pair next year. Who knows.

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ott RD:
1. Zub
2. JBD
3. Hamonic - aged out
4. Guennette
5. Matinpalo
6. Thompson
7. Toure
8. Hoyt

After Zub & JBD the only other RD who may have NHL potential in this org is maybe Guennette. It's not a great list.

I think brannstrom and kleven work quite well honestly.
Given this defence has been quite poor all yr what would you do?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ott RD:
1. Zub
2. JBD
3. Hamonic - aged out
4. Guennette
5. Matinpalo
6. Thompson
7. Toure
8. Hoyt

After Zub & JBD the only other RD who may have NHL potential in this org is maybe Guennette. It's not a great list.

Given this defence has been quite poor all yr what would you do?
Well at this point it’s obvious what is going to happen this offseason. Chychrun will be gone and one of the defensive RD FAs will be brought in.

I think if the team can afford it then another vet RD will be brought in to play with kleven on the bottom pair. That’s what I think is going to happen.

And to be CLEAR I don’t disagree with that. I don’t think it’s a BAD decision. I think it’s perfectly fine.

What I would do. I’ve ripped this team for years. This year I truly don’t think we are as bad as our record indicates.

If korpisalo was fine we likely aren’t talking about blowing up the defence. We’re talking about letting them grow for another year and grow even more chemistry.

I also see no reason why they can’t all continue to improve with even more good coaching.

I’m not a big jbd fan. I would move him. I like brannstrom but I realize it’s time to move him.

I like kleven. Do I want him playing full time just yet? Mmmm I dono.

And I’m not a cap guy. So I really don’t know. But I would sign two solid RD guys to help chabot and chychrun. And chychrun can continue playing PP.

Chabot is going to get hurt again. I don’t want kleven being our option to step up in the top 4.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I don’t know if someone wants to challenge this? But yeah I don’t think this D has been this bad.

People are busy including me. We can’t watch every game. But defensive breakdowns are common. It’s not pre lockout hockey anymore. I think many some people have some idealized fantasy about good defensive hockey.

Not to mention our pp and pk being so rough has sunk us. Thats not personnel. We obviously have the personnel needed for a strong pp.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

But he's done this to close out the past few seasons. Looks great when he moves up the lineup due to injuries and then starts the next season struggling on the bottom pair.

Reactions: JD1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But he's done this to close out the past few seasons. Looks great when he moves up the lineup due to injuries and then starts the next season struggling on the bottom pair.
Well A automatically he has to play with a shittier partner. Hamonic was never gonna work this season.

B. The leash comes off it looks like. Brannstrom can break the puck out with his feet and rip the neutral zone. And they don’t seem to use him like that until we’re out of the playoffs. Now is that coaching? I don’t know. But man sometimes he’s a legit automatic offensive zone faceoff. That’s valuable especially on the bottom pair.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I don’t know if someone wants to challenge this? But yeah I don’t think this D has been this bad.

So for the year, 5 on 5, ( not sure what twitter guy used)
Sens rank 20th in HDCA/60
Rank 24th HDSA/60

But since January those have improved, but over the year looks like pretty accurate.

All strengths
HDCA/60 Sens 10th
HDSA/60 Sens 10th

Interesting difference 5 on 5 vs all strengths

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

People are busy including me. We can’t watch every game. But defensive breakdowns are common. It’s not pre lockout hockey anymore. I think many some people have some idealized fantasy about good defensive hockey.

Not to mention our pp and pk being so rough has sunk us. Thats not personnel. We obviously have the personnel needed for a strong pp.

The PP has been decent, I agree we have the personnel for the PP, but the PK has been terrible this yr, if it's not the personnel on the PK, what is it system, coaching??? Brannstrom on the PK makes no sense to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So for the year, 5 on 5, ( not sure what twitter guy used)
Sens rank 20th in HDCA/60
Rank 24th HDSA/60

But since January those have improved, but over the year looks like pretty accurate.

All strengths
HDCA/60 Sens 10th
HDSA/60 Sens 10th

Interesting difference 5 on 5 vs all strengths
Difference between 5v5 and all strengths is likely due to us being first in the league in PP time per game, and 6th least PK time per game.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The PP has been decent, I agree we have the personnel for the PP, but the PK has been terrible this yr, if it's not the personnel on the PK, what is it system, coaching??? Brannstrom on the PK makes no sense to me.
the pp hasn’t been decent all year. It’s be in the bottom third of the league I’m pretty sure.

Goalie makes some saves and pp is better….. we’re likely a much more optimistic bunch

Reactions: Micklebot

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Define your meaning of struggles? His overall numbers have been good for a few years.

We hear he gets sheltered deployments so that's why, but then he has been saddled with Hamonic or whoever our worste defender is. Either way, his numbers are fine.

He plays well when moved up the line-up. What he supposed to do other than play well in the role he is given? Heck, he even looked good when they moved him to wing!

I don't think he is a core player, but he is almost literally the least of our worries. I'm actually more concerned about Timmy and what type of player he will be for us moving forward.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Define your meaning of struggles? His overall numbers have been good for a few years.

We hear he gets sheltered deployments so that's why, but then he has been saddled with Hamonic or whoever our worste defender is. Either way, his numbers are fine.

He plays well when moved up the line-up. What he supposed to do other than play well in the role he is given? Heck, he even looked good when they moved him to wing!

I don't think he is a core player, but he is almost literally the least of our worries. I'm actually more concerned about Timmy and what type of player he will be for us moving forward.
What does Brannstrom bring to this roster that we don’t already have?

Our team is sorely lacking in physicality, good penalty killers and guys that can clear the front of their net. At some point to add that dimension you have to remove some of what you have in excess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad