Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's ready. He's exactly what they are missing. Enough AHL for him, maybe some of the other d will see his physicality and start to emulate it. His range and reach shut down the entire side of the ice. They need 2 more of him.
2 more right handed versions please.

Yakemchuk has the size & reach to be a similar player with much more offence to his game.
Yeah, of all the guys that could be around when we pick, that looks like a nice pick.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe by a micro step. But I’ve seen him play like that for us.
Last year when he finished the season. But he was more poised this time. Its not fancy hockey but he plays winning hockey something this team needs in spades. Advanced stat guys arent going to think he's anything special so if you relly on that type of thing you probably wont love him. However the other team see's him and how there is no gap no space and a long reach they wont like it.

3 klevens and then we will be talking but how we have too much of one type of guy
Is that was Vegas was saying when they hoisted the cup. Whitecloud, Hague, McNabe, Martinez. Its good to have physicaly defensive players. I dont see them complaining about it.

Reactions: DJB and aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
3 klevens and then we will be talking but how we have too much of one type of guy
Courtesy of @2CHAINZ
jonah-hill-emo[1].gif

• Haha
Reactions: 2CHAINZ and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm hoping the Sens end up drafting Yakemchuk who I think is their greatest need from this draft. Teams can always use a RD especially one that is mobile & can be a catlyst offensively so picking one in this draft should be a no brainer. Ott will depend mostly on Chabot & Sanderson for their offence from the defence, but I expect that Yakemchuk will eventually start contributing offensively as well. He needs to learn the defensive side at the NHL level first & btw he isn't afraid to drop the mitts either, he won't get pushed around. Guennette is another interesting prospect with size & some offence at the AHL level which should translate to the NHL. Yakemchuk, Kleven & Guennette should be able to turn themselves into two way 200' defencemen who can play at both ends in every situation, make plays & lead the rush or join the rush effectively. While they are all big they are also mobile with some offence to their game which should help Ottawa in numerous ways. Guennette once again this yr leads all Belleville Sens defencemen in scoring for the 2nd yr in a row. It's a very young defence & could take a few yrs to mature, but they should have the cap space to sign a couple of Free Agents in the interim.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Guennette
Kleven - Yakemchuk/JBD

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like Kleven a lot but didn't see a player who showed he's ready to make that next step to become a full time NHLer. That said it was one game and consistency is going to be a big factor. He needs time to get more comfortable but I'd like to see him play a little quicker. Chicago didn't manage to get much of a forecheck going but against teams like Carolina and Florida he could be in a lot of trouble. Winnipeg should be a good test.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Kleven a lot but didn't see a player who showed he's ready to make that next step to become a full time NHLer. That said it was one game and consistency is going to be a big factor. He needs time to get more comfortable but I'd like to see him play a little quicker. Chicago didn't manage to get much of a forecheck going but against teams like Carolina and Florida he could be in a lot of trouble. Winnipeg should be a good test.
They have to make changes on defence, it was terrible this yr along with goaltending. My guess is they buy out Hamonic & either let Brannstrom walk or try & trade him again. This defence is too weak, too small & too soft & Kleven brings all of those tangibles this defence lacks especially on the left side. They also need to make a decision whether to go another yr with Chabot & Chychrun or exchange one likely Chychrun for a legitimate #1 goalie (Ullmark) or a top 4 RD (Jones). It doesn't matter what happens with the rest of this yr, it will give him some experience, but next yr he needs to earn that spot & it's obvious he's close.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Looked good against a little stronger opposition, good guy to have against a physical team like the jets. Didn't get a chance to join the offense, but also didn't try to force anything, he looked comfortable out there.

Been a big fan of the pick since we made it, glad to see him finding success.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Quite impressed with him to be honest. He looks like he fits. He is nice skater for such a big kid. Physical and seems that it has allowed Branstromm to jump in plays a bit more. I like.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hey looks big and steady with good speed, good gaps, and good stick.

The UND boys really do have solid fundamentals

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The hope is that Kleven will make your team harder to play against, while not making mistakes. Anything in terms of offense would be gravy.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He'll make some mistakes and his IQ will be questioned during his first couple years in the league, but he'll eventually figure things out and establish himself as a 2nd pairing quality shutdown D in the mold of Scott Mayfield - the kind of D every team is desperate for.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
rather get someone with experience to play the bottom pair and have Kleven be a callup

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
rather get someone with experience to play the bottom pair and have Kleven be a callup
Well, at some point decisions need to be made, and having a vet to play on the bottom pair may have to come at the expense of something else.

Some have suggested we need a middle six winger, a top four RHD, a bottom pair D, and a new starting goalie. If I had to sacrifice something, it starts with the vet bottom pair D.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, at some point decisions need to be made, and having a vet to play on the bottom pair may have to come at the expense of something else.

Some have suggested we need a middle six winger, a top four RHD, a bottom pair D, and a new starting goalie. If I had to sacrifice something, it starts with the vet bottom pair D.
Brannstrom. 25 in September. 265+ NHL games. 350+ professional games. A puck mover to Kleven's stay at home.

There's your vet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad