Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Looks like he has great tools that coaches will love to develop. His development curve more than his draft stock hopefully shines.

Sens are definitely going to need Bowie's Young Americans as a goal song.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Thomson/Brannstrom
Kleven - Schmidt (2021 draft)

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
At least Belleville won't have 1 or 2 out of 6 defensemen we've ever heard of for the coming years, as they have recently, while these guys develop.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Highly doubt we go for a Dman next draft.

Isn't next draft suppose to be a good yr for defencemen? My guess is that the Sens could end up with another top 10 pick next draft which is too high for Schmidt. But with 3 2nd rd picks they might be able to move up to acquire Schmidt in the late teens to twenties. I'm hoping for Guenther with their 1st rd pick even if they have to move up to get him too.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Isn't next draft suppose to be a good yr for defencemen? My guess is that the Sens could end up with another top 10 pick next draft which is too high for Schmidt. But with 3 2nd rd picks they might be able to move up to acquire Schmidt in the late teens to twenties. I'm hoping for Guenther with their 1st rd pick even if they have to move up to get him too.

Definitely a rich draft for Dmen next season but we already have a bunch of Dmen and to be honest just a lot of question marks up front. I think we're going for a center next year that would be my guess.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
1 more 1st round d and the top 6 could be all 1st rounders some day - Chabot, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson, Sanderson, next pick

Reactions: Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
0*3z5zo0JgDYyn1t3z.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
We've really added some quality size to the potential future defensive unit this draft in acquiring Sanderson & Kleven. As has been listed a few times here, the left side of our defence is looking absolutely stacked:
Chabot - JBD
Sanderson - Brannstrom
Kleven - Lassi

Kleven is typically being described as a physical, (+) skating dman who is sound defensively. Could be a future cost-effective, PK guy who would fill nicely in the Boro/Josh Brown role that this club seems to love having.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Quite interesting to hear Fohr's take on Kleven potential. Sens obviously see him as a big riser in the next few years. Will be very interesting to keep an eye on him, he's a LONG TERM PROJECT. If he becomes anything close to Methot, that's more gold.

He looks pretty intimidating already at 17/18 wow

With guys like Chabot, Brannstrom, Thomson and Wolanin on board, it doesn't hurt to have Sanderson (2 way top pair) and Kleven.

Need to do more research on him but like everything I have read/seen so far

The 3rd round goalie is the only pick I dislike in this draft. Like it was expected, this draft has the potential to be crazy good for the Sens. Could easily be 2 impact players and 2-3 more contributing players which would be crazy.

I actually really love this pick. I don't think he's gonna set the world on fire or anything. But he will play in the NHL and be a very good 3rd pair/PK option.

But man is Ottawa's blue line really getting crowded.

Not just the defense, every position is now really crowded. I have been saying that for a while actually, a massive logjam is coming up, a lot of decisions will have to be made. We need to play hockey.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Serious question. Who is the coach at North Dakota? He is guaranteed to get an interview if Smith gets canned or at least a surefire candidate for an assistant job down the road.

Not for head coach no. I worked for a guy for over a decade that was married into an nhl family.

His wife's brother was an assistant coach for an nhl team and former player and even he had to take an AHL position because even the club he worked for wanted that first.

He did that but is currently an nhl assistant coach with another org. These jobs are hard to get tbh.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If he uses his size as he should, we could be getting a guy defensively we thought Cowen was going to be. And offensively, at least if he's not a good passer he has a big shot. I think whether he plays left or right will just depend on what the depth chart looks like by the time he's ready to make the team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With Sanderson, a deep D draft next year, and an abundance of d prospects already, I did not understand trading up for this guy. I really hope I'm wrong but we need scorers and skilled guys badly.

We could have had: Mysak/Cyulle/Robins + Ty Smilanic.

Friend of mine sees him in the mold of Doumolin and speaks quite highly of him, said when's on he impacts like Parayko. I freakin hope he's semi right.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Mike Fisher was pick number 44 back in the day. I like this pick based on that which, is ridiculous, but who cares Go for 44

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With Sanderson, a deep D draft next year, and an abundance of d prospects already, I did not understand trading up for this guy. I really hope I'm wrong but we need scorers and skilled guys badly.

We could have had: Mysak/Cyulle/Robins + Ty Smilanic.

Friend of mine sees him in the mold of Doumolin and speaks quite highly of him, said when's on he impacts like Parayko. I freakin hope he's semi right.

Hoping Klevin can be our Carlo, or Bahl. His skating is very good particularly backwards. He has a good first pass but keeps things simple and a bomb of a shot. I wasn't looking to move up to grab him but i did want him around the pick we moved for Murray, so not too far off.

Could be a real nice piece if he develops the way he can.

Reactions: Sweatred

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
His skill set is something the team would need, but I'm with the majority thinking trading up was a bold and unnecessary move for a player of this skill set. Is it fair to say this guy is 4 years away from being NHL ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad