Prospect Info: Tyler Kleven (D) at 44th Overall (Sens traded up)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I actually really love this pick. I don't think he's gonna set the world on fire or anything. But he will play in the NHL and be a very good 3rd pair/PK option.

But man is Ottawa's blue line really getting crowded.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think they were concerned that Montreal were going to take him with one of their back-to-back 2nd round picks. That probably explains moving up.

Reactions: thinkwild

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
High character guy. I don't think they are picking based on where they could play. If he develops his offensive game could be a Muzzin and if he doesn't he could simply be the Andy Sutton.

If I had to guess if everything works out for SENS it'll be:

Chabot-JBD / Thomson (whoever is better)
Sanderson - Brann/JBD/Thomson (whoever is better)

The rest are trade chips. If Kleven looks good Wolanin becomes expendable and we pray he does well because mobile D men are in high demand. Can get us that high offensive player that everyone craves. If Brann becomes a player we can get a Mark Stone for him perhaps so these are good things to have.

Kleven is a solid character player who brings the room together, you can just tell from the interviews hes done. He'll block shots, fight someone who steps up, kill penalties, and demand better from players. You can get these guys via free agency perhaps but then again he may develop his offensive game and become Jake Muzzin and those guys don't just become available. Not someone I would trade for but maybe Dorion knew a team who wanted him.

NOW the only thing offputting about this is that this is the EXACT player Toronto needs and they passed on him. That may be telling.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
With his hard one-timer it may not be a bad thing if he plays on his off-side.

Would have to be able to move the puck well enough for it not to be a major issue though, which I doubt he'll be able to do.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Watching the videos Kleven does skate better than I had remembered so I hate this less. But he better improve his breakouts or he's going to get caved in at the pro level.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Wanted Mysak, Colangelo, Tuch types. Our D space is already LD crowded. Why another one. Especially at this price. tell Dorion to draft not trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Great pick, looks like the Sens have figured out their left side on defence with Chabot, Sanderson & now Kleven. UND is a defence factory so this guy is going to get great coaching there & since he already has the defensive part figured out could & should improve his offensive skillset over the course of the next few seasons. As soon as Sanderson is NHL ready they could move Wolanin for a decent pick in a future draft.

It also adds some size & toughness on the backend where Ottawa was small & soft & this is a guy who can also drop them if need be or when required. It looks to me like they are building a playoff team that should contend for quite a few yrs. My guess is that they could target Roman Schmidt RD in next yr's draft to complete their defence but will need to move up from the 2nd rd to do it.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Pretty sure he's a RD. Shoots left, but has played RD. Maybe that changes.

Considering Dorion continues to push Brannstrom to the left side and he shoots right and has played RD his entire life, I suspect the same for Klevin.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Considering Dorion continues to push Brannstrom to the left side and he shoots right and has played RD his entire life, I suspect the same for Klevin.
Yep, absolutely the most logical thought based on what we know. Nice that he has experience there though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad