Proposal: Tyler Johnson to Toronto

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I disagree about him producing, think on another team in a slightly bigger role he can get up again to those numbers, but I do agree after getting a shot this year and maybe next year to win the cup, it is time for him to move onto another team like Buffalo or even go back to the Rangers where leadership will be needed. I feel if he had PP time all season, his numbers would be better all around. He used to produce a lot on there, and taking that away really hurt him. If Tampa can retain salary, then should able to fetch some decent return and not be a so called cap dump.

Maybe he could with more playing time and PP role his numbers would improve but he won't get that opportunity here. In Tampa he is a role player and he does that role well. Plus he isgetting up in age and has had some injuries. That role is fine for him. Limited minutes and you know how he plays. Could be rough on his body with more minutes. I think his current role is ideal for him. He's got nothing to be ashamed of that either. It's not a knock on him. He's a fine player and even better guy. He's proved himself in this league many times. Hopefully he can collect a cup before it's over.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Was think something like:

Palat + Callahan

for

Marleau + Brown

Leafs get the best player in the deal, but Lightning get two top nine players.

Leafs get by far the best player in the deal, Brown isn’t a top nine player in Tampa, and while Marleau is better than Callahan he’s also more expensive and has a full NMC so we won’t be able to move him when we need to clear cap to extend our RFAs. This is a horrible deal for Tampa.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe he could with more playing time and PP role his numbers would improve but he won't get that opportunity here. In Tampa he is a role player and he does that role well. Plus he isgetting up in age and has had some injuries. That role is fine for him. Limited minutes and you know how he plays. Could be rough on his body with more minutes. I think his current role is ideal for him. He's got nothing to be ashamed of that either. It's not a knock on him. He's a fine player and even better guy. He's proved himself in this league many times. Hopefully he can collect a cup before it's over.

Oh yeah the role is fine in Tampa and he does it very well, but not at that cap hit. I wish he made only 3 million a year. These conversations would not be coming up.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Money is why. But I agree depending on what tampa wants to do they will prob trade someone east.

People have been saying that the cap will force us to trade our best players for peanuts for the last few years; they were wrong then and they’re wrong now. We aren’t in a cap crunch and won’t be for at least another couple of years, and even then we aren’t in danger of losing anybody important. We’re sufficiently loaded with quality young talent that we may trade an older and more expensive forward to gain cap flexibility while simultaneously filling our defensive need and/or restocking the pipeline for the future, but we aren’t moving key players for pennies on the dollar.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why the Leafs would ever want TJ. So many reasons why it's a bad idea.....

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not sure why the Leafs would ever want TJ. So many reasons why it's a bad idea.....
Cuz they are losing a center and a winger and presumably moving Nylander to center
People have been saying that the cap will force us to trade our best players for peanuts for the last few years; they were wrong then and they’re wrong now. We aren’t in a cap crunch and won’t be for at least another couple of years, and even then we aren’t in danger of losing anybody important. We’re sufficiently loaded with quality young talent that we may trade an older and more expensive forward to gain cap flexibility while simultaneously filling our defensive need and/or restocking the pipeline for the future, but we aren’t moving key players for pennies on the dollar.
not pennies but probably futures with kuch and then point coming up if u wanna resign McDonough or go after another free agent Dman. Miller seems to be scoring so who knows what he will get as well.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cuz they are losing a center and a winger and presumably moving Nylander to center

not pennies but probably futures with kuch and then point coming up if u wanna resign McDonough or go after another free agent Dman. Miller seems to be scoring so who knows what he will get as well.

TJ can play either wing or C.....Leafs have AM, Kadri and Nylander.....so TJ isn't playing C. Leafs have a bunch of wingers prospects who couldn't make the line up but next season likely can.....especially KK playing a top 9 role. Not to mention if they needed a winger to bridge until prospect is ready they can get a FA signing for a few years without taking on a huge contract. TJ and his huge contract, small size and injury history wouldn't be all that interesting IMO to te leafs.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Like I said, we might trade him (or another forward - I’m still not convinced that Johnson is the odd man out, especially if he has another beastly postseason) for futures just to gain some cap flexibility while filling our defensive need going forward, but it won’t be to one of our biggest division rivals. We aren’t going to make them a significantly bigger obstacle for the next several years without it costing them anything at the NHL level.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs get by far the best player in the deal, Brown isn’t a top nine player in Tampa, and while Marleau is better than Callahan he’s also more expensive and has a full NMC so we won’t be able to move him when we need to clear cap to extend our RFAs. This is a horrible deal for Tampa.
Callahan is a cap dump, no?
Can't skate

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Callahan is a cap dump, no?
Can't skate

Yes but so is Marleau at that salary. Marleau is the better player but Callahan is cheaper and doesn’t have a full NTC so that swap is bad for the Lightning. We’re much better off just moving Cally with retention before the final year of his deal, or even buying him out if necessary. If we trade Palat it’s not going to be for a massively overpaid third liner and a fourth liner.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
not without palat

The only way Marleau sniffs our top six is if we decide to put Gourde or Johnson at 3C, which with the rise of Cirelli is completely unnecessary. Otherwise our top six wingers are Kuch, Miller, Gourde, and Johnson. Maybe we move one of those guys to the third line for balance purposes but that doesn’t make Marleau a top six winger on our team any more than playing Dotchin with Hedman makes him a top pairing defenseman.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The only way Marleau sniffs our top six is if we decide to put Gourde or Johnson at 3C, which with the rise of Cirelli is completely unnecessary. Otherwise our top six wingers are Kuch, Miller, Gourde, and Johnson. Maybe we move one of those guys to the third line for balance purposes but that doesn’t make Marleau a top six winger on our team any more than playing Dotchin with Hedman makes him a top pairing defenseman.
i guess. sometimes we play palat at 2lw and gourde at 3c tho

anyway id rather keep palat and johnson

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Callahan is not getting as much ice time and opportunity like he used to, because of Tampa’s young depth , and not really his play. If he Can be given a 3rd line role and PP time, he might be able to produce around a .50 clip again, and perhaps on a new team. At like a 3 or 3.5 cap hit would be worth the hit. But I think Tampa keeps Callahan around who is a good mentor to the young guys coming up from the system. Just to add, don;t see a move happening till maybe his final year when other contracts are due, and the cap may be a concern.
Callahan is trash. Give it up.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No offense Bodi but you derail every thread that so much as briefly mentions his name into a Callahan thread. I know you’re his friend/relative but I can see how people could get annoyed by that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No offense Bodi but you derail every thread that so much as briefly mentions his name into a Callahan thread. I know you’re his friend/relative but I can see how people could get annoyed by that.

A Toronto fan was asking about Callahan , I simply replied to let them know the situation about his NTC, and cupsforcash and I were having a nice discussion before also.I feel Callahan can do better on another team, and Tampa is fine without him. So if a trade could happen To include him, then I am sure it will be worth discussing. Sorry, was not trying to derail anything. My apology

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Very unlikely we move a player to a rival team. I'd much sooner give him up to Carolina for one of their D.

Johnson for Faulk is a deal I would personally explore.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No need for Johnson. We have more forwards coming up on the horizon (Bracco, Grundstrom, Korshkov) and have a log jam already on the roster. He'd just be more of the same.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No need for Johnson. We have more forwards coming up on the horizon (Bracco, Grundstrom, Korshkov) and have a log jam already on the roster. He'd just be more of the same.

Not trying to sell you on Johnson (in fact I’m the guy on the Lightning board arguing that we should keep him) but he is being seriously underrated by Leafs fans in this thread. When any of those guys puts up near-PPG numbers over multiple years in the playoffs then you can put them in a class with TJ.

I can understand not wanting him if you think he doesn’t fit your window, or you’re concerned about his potential longevity, or you think his cap hit would be better spent on shoring up your defense, or any number of other reasons, but let’s stop pretending that Johnson isn’t a damn good player who would make the Leafs a significantly better team, because that’s just absurd.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad