Proposal: Tyler Johnson to Toronto

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
What would it take to get Tyler Johnson to Toronto?

Seeing that Toronto might move Nylander to center, starting next year, that opens up a spot for a skilled player beside Matthews.

Also, Johnson plays center, which would make him a great back up, if an injury would occur to one of Toronto's centers.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What would it take to get Tyler Johnson to Toronto?

Seeing that Toronto might move Nylander to center, starting next year, that opens up a spot for a skilled player beside Matthews.

Also, Johnson plays center, which would make him a great back up, if an injury would occur to one of Toronto's centers.
But....why?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Trading a top six center who is nearly a PPG in the playoffs to a division rival? It’d take a massive overpayment and realistically you don’t have the pieces outside of the ones you obviously won’t want to trade.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Can get him for futures but he wouldn't come cheap. His contract is pretty good for what he does

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Would rather have Palat.

It’d be the same thing with Palat. We aren’t gifting one of our biggest division rivals a top six forward without getting something back that Leafs fans won’t want to give.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Can get him for futures but he wouldn't come cheap. His contract is pretty good for what he does

A different team could possibly get him for futures. If we’re sending what will likely be our biggest division rival in a couple years a top six forward of Johnson’s or Palat’s caliber we’re going to take someone whose loss hurts them more than what we’re giving up will help them.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It’d be the same thing with Palat. We aren’t gifting one of our biggest division rivals a top six forward without getting something back that Leafs fans won’t want to give.

What if the Leafs took Callahan in the deal?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally has a 10 team trade list, where he can be traded to, Toronto could be on that list, not far from Buffalo. I also know he wants to go to a contender. So it’s a possibility. If Tampa retains like 50% salary then it would be a good cap hit for Toronto to what he still brings.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Cally has a 10 team trade list, where he can be traded, Toronto could be on that list, not far from Buffalo.

Was think something like:

Palat + Callahan

for

Marleau + Brown

Leafs get the best player in the deal, but Lightning get two top nine players.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was think something like:

Palat + Callahan

for

Marleau + Brown

Leafs get the best player in the deal, but Lightning get two top nine players.

Not sure about Palat though. He is a better all around player than Johnson, imo.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
6 more years, no thanks. The leafs do need a long term middle six centre, but not at that contract.
It's not like it's a horrible contract. Johnson is easily worth 5 million and he'll be only 33 when the contract ends.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Callahan is being starved of ice time and opportunity, by depth not his play. If he Can be given a 3rd line role and PP time, he should be able to produce around a .50 clip. At like a 3 or 3.5 cap hit would be worth the hit.

.50? As in a point every other game in a 3rd line role? He's not this kind of player anymore. I love the guy but he is a grinder at this stage. Not very much offensive upside in his game anymore. Bottom line role and pk is what he is and he's good at that role too. Just don't expect him to be much more and you will like him. Also if you ignore his cap hit too. Problem for him in Tampa is we have better players waiting for their turn. Cally still brings energy and leadership to a team and in that way he is still valuable to us but our team isn't inexperienced anymore. We have a lot of leadership and he has a better opportunity somewhere else. I've always thought Buffalo was a decent fit for him. Would probably instantly be one of their captains and would be a fan favorite for his play.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Well they do need a dman but having a center / winger that goes nuts during the playoffs isn’t bad depending what they give up

And what would they give up that would realistically make the Lightning want to trade their center/winger who goes nuts during the playoffs? They understandably won’t want to part with any of their big three and none of their other forwards would interest the Lightning. And the Leafs need defense even more than we do and I doubt they want to trade us Rielly so we can put him on our bottom pairing next season so I don’t see anything working out there either (Liljegren would have been of interest if the Leafs weren’t division rivals but we aren’t going to trade Johnson for futures to a team that’s going to be competing with us in the playoffs for the next several years.) I just don’t see the two teams being good trading partners.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And what would they give up that would realistically make the Lightning want to trade their center/winger who goes nuts during the playoffs? They understandably won’t want to part with any of their big three and none of their other forwards would interest the Lightning. And the Leafs need defense even more than we do and I doubt they want to trade us Rielly so we can put him on our bottom pairing next season so I don’t see anything working out there either (Liljegren would have been of interest if the Leafs weren’t division rivals but we aren’t going to trade Johnson for futures to a team that’s going to be competing with us in the playoffs for the next several years.) I just don’t see the two teams being good trading partners.
Money is why. But I agree depending on what tampa wants to do they will prob trade someone east.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
.50? As in a point every other game in a 3rd line role? He's not this kind of player anymore. I love the guy but he is a grinder at this stage. Not very much offensive upside in his game anymore. Bottom line role and pk is what he is and he's good at that role too. Just don't expect him to be much more and you will like him. Also if you ignore his cap hit too. Problem for him in Tampa is we have better players waiting for their turn. Cally still brings energy and leadership to a team and in that way he is still valuable to us but our team isn't inexperienced anymore. We have a lot of leadership and he has a better opportunity somewhere else. I've always thought Buffalo was a decent fit for him. Would probably instantly be one of their captains and would be a fan favorite for his play.

I disagree about him producing, think on another team in a slightly bigger role he can get up again to those numbers or at least 3rd line numbers, but I do agree after getting a shot this year and maybe next year in Tampa to win the cup, it is time for him to move onto another team like Buffalo or even go back to the Rangers where leadership will be needed. I feel if he had PP time all season, his numbers would be better all around. He used to produce a lot on there, and taking that away really hurt him. If Tampa can retain salary, then should able to fetch some decent return and not be a so called cap dump. As much as I still like Tampa, I want whats best for the player also.

Psst, I;m trying to sell Callahan for you guys, shhhh.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad