Proposal: Tyler Johnson to Toronto

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because Bozak is leaving and they will be in need of a center, and I just don't think Babcock wants to use Nylander at center when he has a choice

because the second Matthews got back Nylander went back to the wingalso the first 2 times Matthews got hurt, Marleau played center not Nylander.

it's clear does NOT want Nylander at center

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
because the second Matthews got back Nylander went back to the wingalso the first 2 times Matthews got hurt, Marleau played center not Nylander.

it's clear does NOT want Nylander at center
If he didn't want him at C, then he wouldn't have played him at C for the last stretch Matthews was out. If he didn't want him at C he wouldn't talk about developing him as a C. Nylander went back to the wing when Matthews came back because he's not going to move Bozak or Kadri to the wing instead.

Reactions: shortfuze

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he didn't want him at C, then he wouldn't have played him at C for the last stretch Matthews was out. If he didn't want him at C he wouldn't talk about developing him as a C. Nylander went back to the wing when Matthews came back because he's not going to move Bozak or Kadri to the wing instead.

When was the last time you heard Babcock say anything about developing Nylander as a center? now granted I haven't watched last night post game interview yet, but unless he said it there then the last time I recall him saying anything close to that was last season, about a year ago.

A lot can change in a year and the only time Nylander plays center is when he has to and his production suffered.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
When was the last time you heard Babcock say anything about developing Nylander as a center? now granted I haven't watched last night post game interview yet, but unless he said it there then the last time I recall him saying anything close to that was last season, about a year ago.

A lot can change in a year and the only time Nylander plays center is when he has to and his production suffered.

Babcock talked about Nylander playing centre when, ya know, Nylander was playing centre. He's talked about him in the last stretch and from earlier this season as well.

Here's a tweet (if I can get it to work)

The simplest evidence is really that Nylander just played 10 games at C. He's played 20 there this year. If Babcock didn't want him at C, he wouldn't be playing C at all.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Don't see us trading with Tampa or Boston any time soon. Good player but not something we truly need. We're at the stage right now we can replace all our free agents except for JVR internally. Better to save our magic beans for a D deal when the big 3 D that will soon be UFA's can all talk extension.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Not that long ago. He said Nylander was doing well at C but is not bringing it every night to the level he needs to. Which is true, some nights he does great others he is not a factor. Starting a season planning for him to be a C and letting him work through growing pain may very well be the plan. Of course I could also see us throwing money at JT and leaving Nylander right where he is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Babcock talked about Nylander playing centre when, ya know, Nylander was playing centre. He's talked about him in the last stretch and from earlier this season as well.

Here's a tweet (if I can get it to work)

The simplest evidence is really that Nylander just played 10 games at C. He's played 20 there this year. If Babcock didn't want him at C, he wouldn't be playing C at all.

He hasn't played 20 games at center though, that simply isn't true, he played a few games during this stretch on Plekanec wing, and before that Marleau played center

Nylander has only played center when there was NO other choice and the reality is when he does his production drops.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not that long ago. He said Nylander was doing well at C but is not bringing it every night to the level he needs to. Which is true, some nights he does great others he is not a factor. Starting a season planning for him to be a C and letting him work through growing pain may very well be the plan. Of course I could also see us throwing money at JT and leaving Nylander right where he is.

I see us taking another run at Joe Thornton and leaving.

The reality is there is no need for Nylander to play center.

You Matthews and Kadri as your top 2, you don't need Nylander there, you just need to find a #3 guy

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
how can leafs fan say that nylander at center isnt a longterm possibility, i seriously question how much you follow the team smh.

as for the thread idk, i think TJ would be good but at the same time not, if tb has other players in there plans and leafs cant get some players i could see this happening. rather just palat though.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He hasn't played 20 games at center though, that simply isn't true, he played a few games during this stretch on Plekanec wing, and before that Marleau played center

Nylander has only played center when there was NO other choice and the reality is when he does his production drops.

It simply is true. It's fine if you want to nitpick it down to 15 games, the simple fact remains that Nylander played games at C in the last month. Marleau was healthy the entire time and Nylander was centring Hyman+Brown/Kapanen/Johnsson. You can talk about effectiveness if you like, but he literally played the games at C, which is pretty strong evidence that Babcock is fine with him playing the position. He's the 4th option behind Matthews, Kadri, and Bozak. He played C against Tampa and Pittsburgh and looked fine. He's developing as a C.

Here's an article:
How Has William Nylander Fared at Centre?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be open to getting TJ but wouldn't do this crazy overpayment people are suggesting.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
You can probably forget Tampa Toronto and Boston trading with one another for the next few years, the Titanic division is bad bad bad after those theee powerhouses and they’ll probably be blocking each others cup route for the next half decade

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the leafs arent giving up assets for another small skilled forward, especially a 50pt guy with 6 years left

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Was think something like:

Palat + Callahan

for

Marleau + Brown

Leafs get the best player in the deal, but Lightning get two top nine players.

wouldnt want palat for free if we gotta take on that god awful callahan contract. we dont need to pay a 4th liner nearly 6 mil per

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
What would it take to get Tyler Johnson to Toronto?

Seeing that Toronto might move Nylander to center, starting next year, that opens up a spot for a skilled player beside Matthews.

Also, Johnson plays center, which would make him a great back up, if an injury would occur to one of Toronto's centers.
More than I'd wanna spend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad