Proposal: Tyler Johnson to the Pens

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Tyler Johnson
Slater Koekkoek

For

Olli Maatta
2017 1st

Pens: Get a more dynamic center to replace Bonino and fits the Pens speed system better

Bolts: Round off their top 4 D with Hedman-Dotchin and Maatta-Stralman.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Horrible for Tampa. Pens would be legit unbeatable in the playoffs if they made this trade too. TJ is a monster in the playoffs so might as well hand them the cup for the next 5 years

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Rumor is that Maatta is having trouble balancing his thyroid... his value will be low until he does... no one will trade a top notch guy for a guy with a medical issue

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Maatta has been hit hard by injuries and it's unfortunate cause he looked very promising. Was utter trash all year and most Pens fans agree.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So.... you want us to trade our best center when Stamkos has been hurt these last two seasons and our best defensive prospect for Maatta who hasn't been very good and your first round pick which is last in the first round? Yea this sounds like a deal that SY would be all over!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
1) Johnson is unsigned, what is he asking for in salary? Does he have the defensive game for a 3C? Can he take defensive zone draws, etc?
2) I doubt that the Bolts and Pens will be trade partners considering that they are likely to cross paths in the playoffs at some point in the next couple years.
3) Maatta is criminally underrated by many.

I am not complaining of value so much as potential fit. I don't think TJ is a good fit for the role we need him to potentially fill.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
So.... you want us to trade our best center when Stamkos has been hurt these last two seasons and our best defensive prospect for Maatta who hasn't been very good and your first round pick which is last in the first round? Yea this sounds like a deal that SY would be all over!

I mean TJ was equally as average as Maatta this season. I'm a huge TJ fan and would love him on Pitt but he's coming off a 45 point, -5 rating season and a 38 point, + 4 rating season before that. A top 4 D that really stepped up in Letang's absence in playoffs for TJ is a fair price.

Also a late first is a decent asset. Guentzel was a 3rd round pick, Kucherov was a 2nd round pick, Palat was a 5th rounder I believe

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Not to dismiss the value on either side, but I can't see the Pens trading from a weak spot to address 3C. Just doesn't scream out as a priority right now.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Johnson would be a 3C on a team that tries to roll three scoring lines. However, defense is a bigger priority. Plus, the Pens don't have the assets to acquire him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rumor is that Maatta is having trouble balancing his thyroid... his value will be low until he does... no one will trade a top notch guy for a guy with a medical issue

Source with this? Because Maatta hasn't had his thyroid for 2 and a half years now, he got it taken out in late 2014.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Clearly. He only averaged 20:36 a night on a team with no #1D and managed to win back to back cups. What a chump. :laugh: :shakehead :sarcasm:

Cause they had no other choice, they won in spite of him not because of him, noticed how often the Pens were pinned in their own zone?

Maata was a liability, but yeah he managed to win back to back cups by himself with those Conn Smythe worthy performances. Great logic!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Cause they had no other choice, they won in spite of him not because of him, noticed how often the Pens were pinned in their own zone?

Maata was a liability, but yeah he managed to win back to back cups by himself with those Conn Smythe worthy performances. Great logic!

I think his point was he was easily competent otherwise at one point he'd have hindered Pittsburghs ability to not only win but win back to back championships.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think his point was he was easily competent otherwise at one point he'd have hindered Pittsburghs ability to not only win but win back to back championships.

Ron Hainsey, Justin Schultz, Ian Cole, Trevor Daley were all negative value trash on other teams yet easily competent on the Pens. You could play D for the Pens and do fine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

If they had no other choice, why was he our #3D man in TOI over the course of the playoffs?

Ron Hainsey, Justin Schultz, Ian Cole, Trevor Daley were all negative value trash on other teams yet easily competent on the Pens. You could play D for the Pens and do fine.

Guess there's a little more to "systems" and "coaching" and "fit" then some fan's think there is. :laugh:

Or maybe this is just another great example of HF not having a ****ing clue what they're talking about. No wait... clearly you're right and all those players suck. :laugh:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

What do you mean no other choice? Chad Ruhwedel played well for us. If Maatta was that bad he'd be scratched. Maatta was one of our best D men. Take him out of the Washington series (his best series) and someone else wins the cup this year.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Johnson would be a 3C on a team that tries to roll three scoring lines. However, defense is a bigger priority. Plus, the Pens don't have the assets to acquire him.

I agree that Johnson doesn't fit the mold of 3C for us. But currently we have Sundqvist and Rowney as our only centers signed next year beyond 87 and 71.

If Cullen retires and Bonino says he's chasing the money, 3C becomes our biggest hole, IMO. On defense we have Letang coming back and some leverage with Dumoulin and Schultz being RFAs.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What do you mean no other choice? Chad Ruhwedel played well for us. If Maatta was that bad he'd be scratched. Maatta was one of our best D men. Take him out of the Washington series (his best series) and someone else wins the cup this year.

Nope, clearly that's not possible. His analytic numbers suck, so clearly he sucks. The fact that he was our most effective D this year at actually keeping the puck out of the net means nothing (lowest GA/GA60). Clearly it's all about the SAT. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad