Tyler Johnson In These Playoffs

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yes.. there's a reason he's not on the PP...even with RH shot and Steven Stamkos out. PP time only matters if you can convert, Johnson has been given all kinds of chances on the top unit and finds himself demoted.

Well hes usually a clutch guy, hope he gives Tampa a few clutch goals for the cup.

Reactions: More 2004

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm probably his biggest fan and he has not been good in this series. I thought he played well in the seeding games and also against Columbus though.

But overall the season has been a disappointment. Last season he was really good though, so I'm sure he can bounce back. Just look at Palat who was beyond bad a couple of seasons ago and has bounced back now.

But I wouldn't be surprised if TyJo scores an important goal in the finals!

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I don't think he has been all that bad. His role has changed a lot over the years, and he still goes out and competes while playing a responsible game. He's not able to pull off some of the stuff he used to, but the guy can still play. He needs a fresh start where he can gain some confidence in a more significant offensive role. He has become somewhat redundant in this lineup and a change of scenery could be the best thing for his game.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
TJ actually had a few solid shifts last night before making that bone headed play to give up a breakaway in OT. Hopefully he wakes up for the finals but he has most definitely been a passenger this year.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Last year he was way quicker. I remember heading into training camp in 2018 he attributed it to a change in off-season regimen. Less of a focus on overall strength and more focus on getting lighter and faster.

This year he just doesn't have that gamebreaking speed, and it just hurts the rest of his game.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
He was so good in 2015, but just isn't the same player anymore. It's fine though, Tampa will just find another low round or undrafted gem to replace him eventually.
He doesn't need to be replaced - he needs to be shipped out. Tampa has plenty of offensive weapons. I personally would love to see Mathieu Joseph with a regular spot on the roster.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
He doesn't need to be replaced - he needs to be shipped out. Tampa has plenty of offensive weapons. I personally would love to see Mathieu Joseph with a regular spot on the roster.

I didn't like Joseph's play the last few times I saw him either.

Like Verhaeghes play better.

Reactions: ShaneinTpa

DeeVeeUss

Apr 12, 2017
Naples, FL
I didn't like Joseph's play the last few times I saw him either.

Like Verhaeghes play better.
Verhaeghe and Stephens have both played well enough to slot in over him. Hell, if you want to go off the board Volkov or ABB could add some life to that 2nd line (although they're beyond unproven). Shame because I love Johnson, his games just fallen off a cliff

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
The Athletic wrote an article about him and the broken wrist he played through in 2015. I’m sure it’s affected him since.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
The Athletic wrote an article about him and the broken wrist he played through in 2015. I’m sure it’s affected him since.
The shot seems to be weaker for sure, but he's lost speed as well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Yeah that was an underrated huge boost for my Hawks against them in that SCF.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
I remember watching some clips of him back in 2015. Seems like he had rockets in his skates! Insane acceleration and speed. I was actually really surprised to realize he's 30 years old now...

Reactions: Fixxer

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Crazy that he used to be what Point is now almost. He was a monster vs. us in the playoffs.
In the finals that year, he broke his wrist and never really regained his hands. The speed comes and goes.

Reactions: Fixxer

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Johnson has lost effectiveness compared to 2015 but over that period he has also been moved up and down the lineup more than anyone on the Lightning. He has also switched back and forth between center aand wing. A Swiss Army knife he’s not but he also can’t play as much to his strength as he once did because Cirelli and Gourde have passed him.

Unfortunately unless he sees the writing on the wall he’s not likely to waive his no trade clause which would mean he can’t go anywhere until the end of next season where he would get exposed in the expansion draft. Remember because of taxes he can’t go many places without taking a pay cut even while his salary remains the same.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
As usual some of the hot takes on TJ are ridiculous. No, he’s not the same player who was consistently second on the team behind Kuch in all our playoff scoring metrics, but he’s still 7th among our forwards in goals and assists and 6th among our forwards in even strength goals both this season and this postseason. Not a star by any stretch of the imagination but still a solid middle six scoring performance.

Now there is an argument to be made that he doesn’t bring a whole lot to the table besides scoring and that therefore a middle-of-the-road performance in that regard is disappointing, but that’s long way from saying that he should be benched for the likes of Verhaeghe or Stephens. He’s still a solid contributor to our scoring depth and you need that to win a championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad