Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Graovac (reassigned 1/5)

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
Looks like Graovac will see his first NHL action tonight against Winnipeg.

He will be taking Haula's place, centering the 3rd line with Cooke and Fontaine.

I'm happy for the guy! He worked really hard to get all the way from the 7th Round to finally crack an NHL line-up! I don't expect the hard work to stop there though. This kid is the epitome of work ethic!

I hope he sticks. What do you Wild fans think about his promotion to the parent club?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
He's certainly earned it, although we should be careful not to get too excited about him. He's a rookie in the AHL and not scoring at a PPG level, which is what we saw out of Granlund his first season.

Nope, not a rookie--2nd year guy.

Granlund played on a much better team than Grao has, with Coyle and Zucker as his linemates. Comparing apples to oranges really !

Well earned, very good player.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Never seen the kid play, so if for no other reason, I'll say that's why I'm watching the game tonight. He's putting up a bunch of points on the worst AHL team in the league, so we'll see how it translates here if he gets an extended shot with Granny out so long. Didn't know he was 6'4 either, so that helps.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Really hope he can be a 3C for us going forward. Gotta keep getting bigger while adding skill.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Nope, not a rookie--2nd year guy.

Granlund played on a much better team than Grao has, with Coyle and Zucker as his linemates. Comparing apples to oranges really !

Well earned, very good player.

Granlund also played against Halls and RNHs of lockout AHL

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Good reward for Graovac. I'm curious to see him in action. Hopefully he doesn't stay up too long. Keep developing that offense down in Iowa.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Good reward for Graovac. I'm curious to see him in action. Hopefully he doesn't stay up too long. Keep developing that offense down in Iowa.
I'm hoping he is stellar and stays up for the rest of the season! This team needs help now, who cares if it is from an unexpected source?

Are we so down that hoping for the best outcome is out of the question?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm hoping he is stellar and stays up for the rest of the season! This team needs help now, who cares if it is from an unexpected source?

Are we so down that hoping for the best outcome is out of the question?

What's good for the team short-term might not be best for Graovac and the team long-term.

I don't want Graovac's development to be stunted by forcing him to play a shut-down role in the NHL while the team sputters into the playoffs. Let's be realistic; he's not going to jump start the Wild out of this slump.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
What's good for the team short-term might not be best for Graovac and the team long-term.

I don't want Graovac's development to be stunted by forcing him to play a shut-down role in the NHL while the team sputters into the playoffs. Let's be realistic; he's not going to jump start the Wild out of this slump.
But I can hope for it can't I and at the same time be realistic?

Maybe he will be the one that meshes with Vanek and send him on a tear? Nobody else has, so why not hope it will be him?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
But I can hope for it can't I and at the same time be realistic?

Maybe he will be the one that meshes with Vanek and send him on a tear? Nobody else has, so why not hope it will be him?

Absolutely. I'll take all the positivity I can get around here. :laugh:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Graovac seemed to play a good game last night. He has good reach and seems to have good hockey sense and decent hands. Had a couple good looks. Two things I noticed were that he's really gangly and seemed to get knocked around easily (but stayed on his feet) which reminded me of Colton Gillies. The other was that his footwork was pretty slow. It took him a while to get up to speed and he wasn't moving his feet when he should at times. But the kid looks like he has the tools to be a middle six center for the team down the road, which we need to pressure guys like Haula and Coyle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed, though tall guys often look slower than they are. Needs some time in the weight room , but going through Major Junior you know that he has an acquaintance with physical play.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He's 6'4", right? If he sticks, he could end up being a solid 215-220lbs, which would be nice.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
He's 6'4", right? If he sticks, he could end up being a solid 215-220lbs, which would be nice.

Speaking as someone who's 6'4", 220 is still pretty trim, to me.

I consider 210 to be my "goal" weight, and I'm the furthest thing in the world from an athlete. Granted, everyone has different body types, but I think 220 at that height is still pretty light, especially if we want him to be physical.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

Yes, he can easily be 220-230, and still remain fast. He is 205 right now if I remember correctly and can easily add 15-25 lbs on in the next two years.

While it is very hard to predict, from following him for the entire last season and now into this season, he seems he could one day be a 2C. He is the definition of competitive and has the frame and skills to play both ways, and if he can improve his skating (which he will) he has good enough hands and sense to become that 2C/3C. A 15g 35a +10 kind of guy.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
yeo didn't give him to many minuets last night. Good call by the coach as "not to much to soon." He had a scoring chance and a few "Let's get into the game hits." Honestly he's 21 and a 7th round pick with some potential. It's a little early to say he is the future 3rd line center but with grands and haula out might as well see what you have with this kid for 10-15 games or so. This is his shot and I hope he makes the best of it?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Graovac looks like he has a thin frame to me, narrow shoulders, naturally more tall and lanky. I think if he puts on too much weight, it's not going to be purely muscle, and it's going to slow him down. With his reach, speed could be deadly. He shouldn't have to be a bruiser.

On the reach, one of my teammates has a similar build to Graovac, except skinnier. Impossible to get the puck away from him because of his reach. Look at guys like Malkin and Bjugstad. They don't have to play a bruising game but can dominate because the cover half the ice in one stride and can take the puck about 15 feet side to side in a blink of an eye.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Graovac looks like he has a thin frame to me, narrow shoulders, naturally more tall and lanky. I think if he puts on too much weight, it's not going to be purely muscle, and it's going to slow him down. With his reach, speed could be deadly. He shouldn't have to be a bruiser.

On the reach, one of my teammates has a similar build to Graovac, except skinnier. Impossible to get the puck away from him because of his reach. Look at guys like Malkin and Bjugstad. They don't have to play a bruising game but can dominate because the cover half the ice in one stride and can take the puck about 15 feet side to side in a blink of an eye.

I don't even want to know what prestigious league that is from. And that's quite a stride and reach. Are you talking about a Paul bunyun sized human or?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad