Confirmed with Link: Tyler Ennis signs extension (5 years / $23M)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ennis is currently our top center. Hodgson is one of 4 top six wingers. Only two of our 4 top six wingers are signed past this coming year (Mouslon/Hodgson) and the other two are likely heading out the door via trade (Stewart/Stafford).

The point being is there are a lot of spots that need to be filled even with them here. I highly doubt enough talent will emerge to completely fill the top 9 in 1-2 years to make them pieces that need to be moved.

I dont think that's clear at all
At the end of the year, it was the Zemgus/Hodgson line getting equal or bigger minutes/shifts...

or we could accept that using the term #1 anything right now is pointless, and only serves cheerleading.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What exactly are you expecting from secondary scorers?

You've answered that in your question. To produce against weaker, 'secondary' competition. The question is, are Ennis/Hodgson the best choices once we move from 'draft-mode' into 'trade-and-refine-mode'...They're good...I think we can find better...

What is the debate about again? I'm positing that while Ennis/Hodgson serve short-time needs, I don't think they both fit long. (I think) you're countering that I'm delving too much into the unknown.

Ennis is a quality player who I think could slot into a 2-LW role. Hodgson, I think is an asset I can part with (for a decent price). Regardless, per my original position, I doubt both will be here when we're in a position to compete for the cup.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think Ennis will bring much needed scoring depth if/when Buffalo does become a contender. I love his attitude and competitiveness; he's a feisty little bug.

I don't see him as a center with Reinhart, Girgs, Grigorenko, Larsson, and next year's first in the system. He'll be a winger who can fill in at center if injuries occur.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You've answered that in your question. To produce against weaker, 'secondary' competition. The question is, are Ennis/Hodgson the best choices once we move from 'draft-mode' into 'trade-and-refine-mode'...They're good...I think we can find better...

What is the debate about again? I'm positing that while Ennis/Hodgson serve short-time needs, I don't think they both fit long. (I think) you're countering that I'm delving too much into the unknown.

Ennis is a quality player who I think could slot into a 2-LW role. Hodgson, I think is an asset I can part with (for a decent price). Regardless, per my original position, I doubt both will be here when we're in a position to compete for the cup.

Buffalo doesn't have a player like him in the system. We have a bunch of play makers, a bunch of two-way centers, a bunch of power forwards, but we lack shifty/ agile/ goal scorers.

I believe players like Ennis have a roster spot on contending teams. Contending teams always have a great possession game. Ennis thrives in the offensive zone, and his defensive shortcomings won't be nearly as noticeable playing wing.

Last edited:

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
Buffalo doesn't have a player like him in the system. We have a bunch of play makers, a bunch of two-way centers, a bunch of power forwards, but we lack shifty/ agile/ goal scorers.

I believe players like Ennis have a roster spot on contending teams. Contending teams always have a great possession game. Ennis thrives in the offensive zone, and his defensive shortcomings won't be nearly as noticeable playing wing.

Thank you! The kid plays hard, can skate, finish and set up plays. If you surround him with some talent I think he will flourish, I envision him lifting the cup as a Sabre.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
I still believe Ennis can put up 30 goals when he surrounded by talent. He hit 21 with a roster depleted of talent. He's competitive, fast, reliable, durable, and has earned a long term contract. Besides, Tim Murray seems to believe he's a valuable piece going forward.

As long as there's no NTC in the final years, then this is a good signing. With the salary cap going up, $4.6M will be tradeable if Ennis doesn't fit the bill for this team.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I would sign him just so he's not a rental come trade deadline next year. Why burden ourselves when we cant move him with a NTC? makes no sense.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Lol i think we're all reading too much into this Hodgson and Ennis contract stuff loll but oh well it's fun to talk about it :D

I see Ennis putting up ~50+ points this season as our 1C. I like the kind of player he is tbh. He's got speed, and he's reallyyy improved since he came into the league. He use to make a lot of poor decisions with the puck and I felt like he didn't really know what to do defensively. He's not there yet defensively, i don't know if he ever will, but he's definitely improved a lot of facets of his game.

Heading towards the next couple seasons in 2015 and 2016, I think if he's surrounded by some good talent he can put up 60+ points. I know that's lofty expectations and tbh I'm not saying he's absolutely going to, but I believe that with the right guys around him I think he can become a great secondary scoring threat.

One thing I wanna mention about him - I love his attitude about the rebuild and this young team that's full of top notch prospects and has high hopes looking into the future. He doesn't hang his head or stop skating, he just constantly plays his game and is working on improving..that's a great sign. He's a feisty guy (like someone above me said) that can score goals and make some plays. He's not a top line player, but with the right team that is being built here I believe he could be one heck of a 2nd line winger (take away defensive responsibilities from him).

I still remember that game winning goal against Philly in Game 5 of the 2011 playoffs.
"you wanna be a hero?! Tyler Ennis is a hero!!" - RJ with the call :)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
At the end of the year, it was the Zemgus/Hodgson line getting equal or bigger minutes/shifts...

or we could accept that using the term #1 anything right now is pointless, and only serves cheerleading.

It wasn't intended as a slight to Hodgson or praising Ennis. I don't have a dog in that pissing match. I'm also amazed anyone would take umbrage with that statement in the context of the discussion I was having.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It wasn't intended as a slight to Hodgson or praising Ennis. I don't have a dog in that pissing match.

i didnt view your comments as praising or slighting anyone.

just pointing out that you are stating your opinion as fact.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I still remember that game winning goal against Philly in Game 5 of the 2011 playoffs.
"you wanna be a hero?! Tyler Ennis is a hero!!" - RJ with the call :)
I didn't hear the RJ call. I risked my life to watch that game in Philadelphia. Ha ha

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm just not an Ennis fan, so meh... :dunno:

I don't see him being an important cog on a contending team.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If he can turn into a player that consistently puts up 20 points this contract will be a solid value. After three years of drawing top defensive assignments, think of how effective the likes of Hodgson and Ennis can be in three years when they're suddenly the "secondary" scoring.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I'm fine with it, I'd say he's earned that contract and if he wants to stay in Buffalo for the rebuild, good for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't worry about length. Ennis has established what his floor as a player is. His value isn't going to plummet. He'll be tradeable so long as the AAV is along the lines of what we suspect.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Matthew Coller (WGR): How should we feel about Ennis' contract?
From many on Twitter, the first reaction to reports of Tyler Ennis agreeing to a five-year deal with the Sabres: “Really? That long?”

Last off-season, the Sabres signed Cody Hodgson to a six year contract with an identical cap hit to that of Ennis.

Hodgson’s deal was all sorts of questionable. He hadn’t proven much in terms of offensive production and defensive play was (and still is) a major issue. Yet Darcy Regier went all-in. Now it apperas Tim Murray has done the same with another questionable forward.

Ennis is a better two-way player, but the circumstances and questions are much the same: Should an undersized, one-dimensional player who has not proven he can play consistently really be part of the long-term plan? Where will he play? Is he the type of player the Sabres can win the Stanley Cup with?

TimMcClure*

He writes as if when you sign a player you're stuck with him for the duration of the contract. Contracts/players are assets. Does anybody think that in 3 years Tyler Ennis as a UFA would be worth less than 4.6M a year?

He is just entering his prime, he'll be getting lots of playing time including the PP, the players around him will get better - Ennis most likely will be a 60 point forward in the next 3 years. If he and Nolan can figure out how to get him out of the gate faster it might be this season.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

He actually didn't use the phrase "#1 center" at all. :help:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
He writes as if when you sign a player you're stuck with him for the duration of the contract. Contracts/players are assets. Does anybody think that in 3 years Tyler Ennis as a UFA would be worth less than 4.6M a year?
No, but the radio guys do this with every long contract. When you have an owner like Pegula, it's hard to fail at contracts like these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad