Tyler Ennis gets game misconduct for abuse of linesman, no additional discipline

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Ennis is likely facing a possible long suspension due to his actions last night. At the end of the game, Ennis was given a game misconduct for striking an official.

http://scoutingtherefs.com/2014/11/5497/sabres-ennis-takes-frustrations-linesman-andy-mcelman/

Ennis skated along the boards. As he passed Nansen, he took out his frustrations with a whack to Nansen’s left hand.

That hurt Nansen, who shook his hand in pain. It’s not much of a shot, but the league takes any abuse of officials very seriously. It’s NHL Hockey Operations – not the Department of Player Safety – making the call on this one.

It was certainly enough for the on-ice officials – referees Marc Joannette and Chris Rooney – to slap Ennis with a Game Misconduct. Rule 39.5 specifies that ‘any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official [...] shall receive a game misconduct penalty.’

That player is also subject to additional discipline under Rule 40 – Physical Abuse of Officials:

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I – Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II – Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure [...], shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

40.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III – Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official [...] shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

Based on the rule book, I'm guessing at worst, he'll only get the Category III, 3 game suspension

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I have a hard time seeing much contact in that gif.

Did Ennis just kind of brush past his outstretched hand? The ref didn't seem to react at all. It can't have been much.

Still, any kind of needless, avoidable contact with an official is idiotic.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Ennis is likely facing a possible long suspension due to his actions last night. At the end of the game, Ennis was given a game misconduct for striking an official.

http://scoutingtherefs.com/2014/11/5497/sabres-ennis-takes-frustrations-linesman-andy-mcelman/

Based on the rule book, I'm guessing at worst, he'll only get the Category III, 3 game suspension

I have a hard time seeing much contact in that gif.

Did Ennis just kind of brush past his outstretched hand? The ref didn't seem to react at all. It can't have been much.

Still, any kind of needless, avoidable contact with an official is idiotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2BuLiabjE

The youtube clip gives a better view.

Looks like a standard/casual tap players give each other all the time. But the ref definitely does react immediately, and then of course the game misconduct so best guess is that the ref wasn't impressed either - either with the tap or whatever Ennis said, look he gave, whatever.

If the ref's hand was truly tapped/hit/touched, it could be a cat II (actual physical contact) rather than cat III (only "threat" of physical contact).

Guessing either nothing comes of it at all or something btwn III and II.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Foligno can't play, we'll need a roster move, unless Nolan dresses 7 D (or Enroth as forward!).

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Carcillo received 10 game suspension last season under 40.3. He appealed and it was reduced to 6 games.

Yep. In that scenario it looks like Carcillo was originally given the cat II 10 games on the basis of actual physical contact (without intent to injure) and only reduced to 6 games on appeal because the physical contact happened in context with "solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation" which is only a cat III.

deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation

Link: Carcillo's Suspension Reduced to 6 games

I'm not sure how this applies to Ennis though? I mean, IF he actually touched the ref (rather than the ref pulled back before being touch), then cat III can't apply because it didn't happen in context with an altercation btwn Ennis and another player, right? Meaning it could only be a cat II - physical contact without intent to injure.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Maybe if Ennis is suspended, Nolan puts Girgensons in his spot and shows what a two way center looks like on the top line. Yes please.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Maybe if Ennis is suspended, Nolan puts Girgensons in his spot and shows what a two way center looks like on the top line. Yes please.

If ice-time and being trusted with defensive assignments is anything to go by, Girgensons is already the defacto 1C.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I think the official is overselling the whole hit on the hand thing, but even still, you NEVER do that to an official. Ever.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Pat Malacaro ‏@PatWGR 8m8 minutes ago
Tyler Ennis says the NHL has not contacted him yet. He apologized after the game to the linesman. #Sabres​

So maybe just that - nuttin'??

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL 2m2 minutes ago
#Sabres Tyler Ennis: "I was a little frustrated. I just went to go talk to the linesman and tap him on the bum lightly.​

Sigh. This kid needs a lawyer to tell him when to shut up.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bill Hoppe @BillHoppeNHL 2m
#Sabres Tyler Ennis: "I was a little frustrated. I just went to go talk to the linesman and tap him on the bum lightly. ...

Bill Hoppe @BillHoppeNHL 2m
But I got his hand a little bit and he was a little upset."

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Think about the current state of the team - and the fact that you just squandered a one goal lead late in the 3rd period. I bet you'd be frustrated too. Compared to all the other stupid things we've seen players do, I don't think this is a "clown" move. It's undisciplined, but not clown-like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad