Tyler Bozak Discussion Thread - Keep or Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tyler Bozak discussion thread.

Stay on topic. Consider yourself warned. One and done, moderator discretion.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

Posting Rules: Unacceptable Conduct
1) Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members; or make posts about ignore lists.

2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; please keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will almost always be regarded as trolling or offensive. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. Copying posts from one HFBoard team forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we have a firesale on this sad sack core, it would be a nice way to kick things off by shipping him off somewhere David Perron styles.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I appreciate Bozak's contribution to the shootout and on the breakaway. I'd like him traded now He can go to Nashville or Florida with his buddy Phil.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
If we have a firesale on this sad sack core, it would be a nice way to kick things off by shipping him off somewhere David Perron styles.

If we could get a 1st rounder for him I'd be happy.

This guy is anti-puck possession. Not what the Leafs need in a player.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Good in the shootouts, but think its time to move on and sell before his stock drops lower.

This sums up Bozak's time here. Dodging bullets (blame).

Bozak is Maggie

(Thread closed right after posting, so moved here)

leafstilldeath*

Trade him. Let Kessel know he doesn't call the shots.

If we can eat 1 mil of Kessel and get a 1st and a young prospect or 2 firsts, trade both bozak and kessel.

eat a mil of Dion's salary and unload him, and eat around 1.5 to 2 mil of Clarkson's contract and trade him.

Salary retnetion = 1 (from kessel) + (1 from Dion) + (1.25 to 2 from Clarkson) = total of 3.25 to 4 million/season for next 6 to 7 years.

but hope we have a better roster and cap going up will help.

This core has no leadership, lacks desire to win and is worst than Muskoka5

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Hey, remember when Bozak got hurt last season and Kadri got all kinds of **** for not producing in his absence? Good times.

2G 6A 8P -5 in 17 GP through Dec. & Jan. so far. Oh well, I'm sure he'll get some sweet feeds from JVR/Kessel while floating around in the slot, pot a couple of goals and he'll go right back to being first line center for life.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
but yeah, the sooner we trade Bozak and promote Kadri and Holland, the quicker we'll start to see improvement on ice

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I think Bozak would have positive trade value given his contract.

See if we can get a late first rounder for him.

Besides, trading away Bozak would hurt Phil more than asking him to switch wings, or asking him to backcheck.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bozak is part of the new Muskoka mentality that plagues this Leafs team. He's got to be on the chopping block to.

He's served... admirably, for being handed the #1 Centre role. Didn't really earn it, with such little competition and coaches who've refused to try other line combinations. Will always appreciate the win in the Winter Classic he gave us in the shootout.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Here's the thing. As long as Kessel stays, someone will need to play with him. When he plays like he has been for the past couple of weeks, he single-handedly can drag his line down. Crap on Bozak all you want, but a few sequences from tonight's game stuck out. In no particular order:
  • Bozak getting beat along the boards in the offensive zone, double-teamed (one being Big Buff) and no support in sight
  • Bozak's attempted stretch pass that barely missed the target from the middle of the defensive zone to a Kessel who's long ago burnt the zone
  • Bozak makes an outlet pass to Kessel as he's breaking the red line, and Kessel doesn't even bother to move his stick
  • Wasn't the panel talking about Kessel's careless change? Or was that during the Wilds game?
Bozak is not the problem on the line right now, he wins his fair share of battles, engages along the boards, helps out defensively, and buzzes around the offensive net (whenever the line is lucky enough to get there). Even the intensity upgrade in Leo was unable to help offset Kessel's absence against the aggressive forecheck of the Jets. Maybe try a Komarov - Winnik - Kessel line? If that line can't stay out of their own zone, no center will be able to do it.

While Kessel is here, his center needs to win out-manned puck battles (you know Phil won't be in there digging), both along the boards and on the dot, and in general, cover for Phil whenever he feels like going rover. I guess now that Kadri finally started playing some defense, it'd be as good of a time as any to put him to the test when he returns. I'm curious to see how he'd handle a winger who does nothing for the line defensively while facing the pressure of shutdown/top lines and top pairing defensemen.

If management felt a culture change is needed and Kessel needs to be moved (has Shanahan even had a chat with him yet?), trading Bozak away may the first step of that process. If management sells high on Bozak to a Western playoff choker and Kessel gets flipped for decent package involving a stud prospect + picks, it may be a very interesting draft day, and a much different looking Leafs team next season. I'd be a bit shocked if this happened, though.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Here's the thing. As long as Kessel stays, someone will need to play with him. When he plays like he has been for the past couple of weeks, he single-handedly can drag his line down. Crap on Bozak all you want, but a few sequences from tonight's game stuck out. In no particular order:
  • Bozak getting beat along the boards in the offensive zone, double-teamed (one being Big Buff) and no support in sight
  • Bozak's attempted stretch pass that barely missed the target from the middle of the defensive zone to a Kessel who's long ago burnt the zone
  • Bozak makes an outlet pass to Kessel as he's breaking the red line, and Kessel doesn't even bother to move his stick
  • Wasn't the panel talking about Kessel's careless change? Or was that during the Wilds game?
Bozak is not the problem on the line right now, he wins his fair share of battles, engages along the boards, helps out defensively, and buzzes around the offensive net (whenever the line is lucky enough to get there). Even the intensity upgrade in Leo was unable to help offset Kessel's absence against the aggressive forecheck of the Jets. Maybe try a Komarov - Winnik - Kessel line? If that line can't stay out of their own zone, no center will be able to do it.

While Kessel is here, his center needs to win out-manned puck battles (you know Phil won't be in there digging), both along the boards and on the dot, and in general, cover for Phil whenever he feels like going rover. I guess now that Kadri finally started playing some defense, it'd be as good of a time as any to put him to the test when he returns. I'm curious to see how he'd handle a winger who does nothing for the line defensively while facing the pressure of shutdown/top lines and top pairing defensemen.

If management felt a culture change is needed and Kessel needs to be moved (has Shanahan even had a chat with him yet?), trading Bozak away may the first step of that process. If management sells high on Bozak to a Western playoff choker and Kessel gets flipped for decent package involving a stud prospect + picks, it may be a very interesting draft day, and a much different looking Leafs team next season. I'd be a bit shocked if this happened, though.

I disagree with the assessment that Bozak wins his fair share of board battles or that he really helps out defensively to a significant degree. I've been keeping a close eye on how our team supports the breakout this year, both in terms of making sure to win the puck and to get it out. Out of all players that have suited up on center, Bozak has been the worst. I've seen him do drive-bys instead of lending support, or floating around waiting for a stretch pass to spring the line instead of going back to give an exit route for the D-men way more than anyone else. I'm starting to consider him at the Kessel level in terms of how bad he is defensively.

Having watched him more closely than previous years, I'm starting to feel that he is Versteeg at the center position with faceoff prowess. A complementary skill player with a lacking overall game, which is what we need the least on a line with Kessel.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I disagree with the assessment that Bozak wins his fair share of board battles or that he really helps out defensively to a significant degree. I've been keeping a close eye on how our team supports the breakout this year, both in terms of making sure to win the puck and to get it out. Out of all players that have suited up on center, Bozak has been the worst. I've seen him do drive-bys instead of lending support, or floating around waiting for a stretch pass to spring the line instead of going back to give an exit route for the D-men way more than anyone else. I'm starting to consider him at the Kessel level in terms of how bad he is defensively.

Having watched him more closely than previous years, I'm starting to feel that he is Versteeg at the center position with faceoff prowess. A complementary skill player with a lacking overall game, which is what we need the least on a line with Kessel.

Bang-on assessment. I've paid much more attention to him this year away from the puck, especially in the defensive zone. He's very bad at doing the typical job of a center, except for his faceoff prowess.

He doesn't support our D, he has trouble carrying the puck and making good passes to our wingers, and he struggles immensely at zone clearances and board battles.

I'm done with him on the 1st line. Put Holland, Smith, Santorelli, Winnik, or anyone else but Kadri with Phil. Kadri doesn't need Phil, so we're better off splitting them up.

Winnik-Santorelli-Kessel
JVR-Kadri Panik
Komarov-Bozak-Lupul
Booth-Holland-Ashton

I want Clarkson out also.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

Versteeg is more shify dangly soft player, a bit like Santorelli in terms of style (except for softness), and nothing like Bozak. He regularly supports the D along the wall to win puck battles, jar pucks loose for the team, and way more often than not, is the first forward back in the defensive zone. He makes mistakes like every other player on the ice, but there's a reason why different coaches keep going back to in pressure situation. And winning 1 more face-off out of 20 than an average face-off man isn't it.

Time to shuffle the lines and see which center can keep the Kessel line out of the defensive zone. I'm genuinely curious.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Versteeg is more shify dangly soft player, a bit like Santorelli in terms of style (except for softness), and nothing like Bozak. He regularly supports the D along the wall to win puck battles, jar pucks loose for the team, and way more often than not, is the first forward back in the defensive zone. He makes mistakes like every other player on the ice, but there's a reason why different coaches keep going back to in pressure situation. And winning 1 more face-off out of 20 than an average face-off man isn't it.

Time to shuffle the lines and see which center can keep the Kessel line out of the defensive zone. I'm genuinely curious.

As I said, I have been keeping an eye on exactly this through every game this season, and what you are saying here doesn't even come close to describing what I see, more the opposite. I'm not sure even Interactif, a well-known Bozak supporter on this board, would agree with you on all that.

As for Versteeg, you are completely right. I however just compared them in the sense of being two players that rely on skill while the rest of their game is sub-par.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
Hey, remember when Bozak got hurt last season and Kadri got all kinds of **** for not producing in his absence? Good times.

2G 6A 8P -5 in 17 GP through Dec. & Jan. so far. Oh well, I'm sure he'll get some sweet feeds from JVR/Kessel while floating around in the slot, pot a couple of goals and he'll go right back to being first line center for life.

My other post got deleted.

But ya, this guy just floats in the slot waiting for an open net, does not contribute to the play.

This guy is the definition of being Johnny on the spot, his luck ran out in December and what you are seeing is the real Tyler Bozak.

His points live and die with Kessel. So its not surprising that he can't elevate the play of his wingers because he is the ultimate passenger.

Tyler Bozak should get the Chris Kuntiz treatment and be stapled to the 3rd line.

Ideally he be shipped out for a 1st and quickly. Thanks for 5 years of horrible hockey Mr. Bozak.

Last edited:

wmark

Apr 5, 2014

So Kessel needs to elevate Tyler Bozak game each game day in and day out? NHL 15 has Tyler Bozak as an elite play maker, I'm still waiting for some elite plays from this clown.

This is the corsi for the Boston game when Kessel was placed on other lines.

5v5 Corsi for/against:

Kadri: 16/11 (59%)
Kessel: 17/17 (50%)
Bozak: 7/18 (28%)
JVR: 8/20 (29%)

Whats Bozak excuse for being at 28%? Cant' be Kessel, must be JVR?

Nah, there's a common denominator here and its Tyler Bozak.

The myth that this guy is good defensively must be put to rest. All this guy has is his face offs and even that aspect of his game has been crap lately.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sell this guy off while his PPG still looks half decent. He's just as much a floater in the defensive zone as Kessel, but he's yet to top 50 points in a season. Move the contract, get something decent back for him while his value is up, and lets start building around players who can limit shots against better than he can.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
What not another "appreciation" thread? Personally I like Bozak. Not a first line center but he is a very solid second line player. Too bad he is constantly being used as a first liner and thus gets unfairly thrust under the microscope on a regular basis.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Thankfully he is on the first powerplay unit, otherwise his 3 ES goals wouldn't look so good, really hurting his trade value.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152TORFAFALL&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

I know people like to have opinions, but sometime all you have to do is look at individual stats rather than try and apply group stats to an individual.

Hits, Block shots, Giveaways, Takeaways, Face-offs. Individual stats.

wmark

Apr 5, 2014
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152TORFAFALL&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

I know people like to have opinions, but sometime all you have to do is look at individual stats rather than try and apply group stats to an individual.

Hits, Block shots, Giveaways, Takeaways, Face-offs. Individual stats.

Stats without context gives a different look.

Could it be, that his low puck possession results in Bozak being peppered by shots, and he is forced to block shots?

Could it be that his low puck possession results in him having to try to take away the puck? You can't take away the puck unless you do not possess the puck.

I'm sure there is a correlation of not possessing the puck and having to block or take away the puck.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Stats without context gives a different look.

Could it be, that his low puck possession results in Bozak being peppered by shots, and he is forced to block shots?

Could it be that his low puck possession results in him having to try to take away the puck? You can't take away the puck unless you do not possess the puck.

I'm sure there is a correlation of not possessing the puck and having to block or take away the puck.

All very true. People love to post stats without context. Most of the positive stats that are for Bozak are a result of not having the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad