The Star: Tyler Bozak accuses Boston Bruins of ‘cheating better’ on faceoffs in NHL playoffs

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
Here's an easy solution for that one, the player who came off the bench goes back to the bench, but the player who left the ice has to stay on the bench until after the face-off.

This could be abused so badly for breakaway reasons....

Ice puck.

Put guy on bench...

Win face off

Pass to guy coming off bench...

Its Alright Ma

Jul 19, 2010
We are brilliant cheaters when it comes to face-offs, no doubt about that

Now if only we could draw penalties as well as the Habs do, we'd be unstoppable!

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Ice puck.
Put guy on bench...
Win face off

When a team doesn't send a player to serve a penalty (ex. a bench minor) at the beginning of a period and the penalty expires with no one in the box, they aren't allowed to bring a 5th player onto the ice until a whistle or faceoff. I don't see why something similar couldn't be adapted following icings.

The players and teams know full well what is going on. A player knows if he's on or off the ice when the puck is iced. If an official needs to go over to the bench to force the change or worse, go upstairs to check, then a team should absolutely face some kind of punishment for trying to pull a fast one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When a team doesn't send a player to serve a penalty (ex. a bench minor) at the beginning of a period and the penalty expires with no one in the box, they aren't allowed to bring a 5th player onto the ice until a whistle or faceoff. I don't see why something similar couldn't be adapted following icings.

The players and teams know full well what is going on. A player knows if he's on or off the ice when the puck is iced. If an official needs to go over to the bench to force the change or worse, go upstairs to check, then a team should absolutely face some kind of punishment for trying to pull a fast one.

I've never heard of this.
Why would a Team not put a Player in the box?
Do they even have the option?
Has a Team ever not put a Player in the box?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Ice puck.

Put guy on bench...

Win face off

Sure, but they could do that today if they wanted. You can have too few men on the ice, you can't have too many.

You always want to outnumber the other team, and you couldn't do that if you are short a man.

Today they just put the guy on the ice after they've had their rest.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Why the eff do the refs have the ability to throw guys out so often to begin with. Such bs the way they've been throwing guys out in the Habs/Sens series and our Leafs' series. Refs should not have such a big impact on the game.

Linesmen (or as Cherry calls them "failed refs") are the ones who kick people out of the faceoff circle. It has been driving me mad all year how they refuse to drop the puck, which rattles the two players taking the faceoff and sure enough one of the players moves early due to nerves. Bloody linesmen are making each and evey faceoff about themselves...anyone care to explain to them that the reason fans come to the game is to watch the game and not the linesmen play headgames with the players?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I've seen this happen a couple times, and it is usually, when a player gets a misconduct penalty, and another penalty.

Teams put a player in for the penalty, and the misconduct is served by the player receiving the misconduct. The designated player comes out of the box after the penalty, but if the team has not put a player in they can't have him leave after the non-misconduct has been served.

Until there is a face-off the team has to play shorthanded.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

It happened to the Coyotes a few years ago:

The Islanders, who played Friday night at Dallas, didn’t fold and scored twice late in the first period to take a 2-1 lead. Then, with 17 seconds left before the break, Jovanovski received a five-minute penalty for elbowing Islanders rookie John Tavares. Jovanovski also received a game misconduct penalty for the elbow and could face an NHL-imposed suspension.

New York’s power play carried over into the second period and lasted beyond five minutes because the Coyotes did not put a player in the penalty box for Jovanovski and play was not interrupted until Martin Hanzal was whistled for slashing at 7:35.

“It’s hard enough to win in this game without making mistakes and we made some mistakes and myself included for not putting a guy in the box (to start the second period),†Tippett said. “I’ve never seen them go eight minutes without a whistle, but that’s funny how that goes sometimes… We put ourselves in a hole, but I like the way we dug ourselves out.â€

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009020669

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
Bozak was the only one being thrown out. He's clearly the problem. Can't wait to see him walk in the off-season.(no sarcasm)

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
You're taking what he said out of context. Thread title makes it seem like the Leafs are complaining when they really aren't

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Better yet, give a delay of game penalty, then we'll see the cheating pull back a little.

There already is. The refs just don't call it enough.

First guy gets thrown out is the warning. Second guy gets thrown out, delay of game.

The issue is the linesmen are far too concerned with lecturing the players like they're 12 than just dropping the puck.

There is absolutely no reason for a linesman to say anything to a player during a faceoff. If he's trying to cheat, throw him out, it's that simple.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Here's an easy solution for that one, the player who came off the bench goes back to the bench, but the player who left the ice has to stay on the bench until after the face-off.

Interesting concept... almost a penalty but not quite. :amazed:

leafstilldeath*

Failed refs taking it out on the players. Trying to stick it to the world. great! screw them. I hope Bettman says something about it. It is getting out of hand. Just drop the bloody puck already

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like Bozak, but he needs to shut up and just play harder. He needs to take a page from Kessel's book. If any one Leaf has the right to speak up about unfair refereeing it's him. He gets pounded every shift by a freaking giant, but he keeps his trap shut and just plays harder.
I rather hear someone like Bozak speak up about this because the faceoffs need to be fair for both players, instead of hearing Kevin Bieksa complain that Joe Thornton and Logan Couture are diving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad